Leibst

How to give custom names to subunits

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi,

I want to give custom names to the subunits of the new purchased units. Is that possible?

I see how it works with subunits of unconplete units, and works fine.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

PhilThib

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Yes, it works...check the AACW, NCP or ROP setups Excel DB...you add the elements custom names in column G, each separated by a |

Leibst

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:51 pm

but it seems only for the initial setup units, i mean the purchased ones.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

lodilefty

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:16 am

The best you can do is list the names in Units under column "CustomNames" which will use these names in sequence for built units.
The same field in Models will create names for the elements within a Unit, again being applied sequentially.

See the RUS DB for examples of both
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Leibst

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:52 am

in the units file as you say we can define names for units.
in the models file we can define names for sub units, but this names ONLY will be to the su that complete uncomplete units,ie a brigade of 4 bataillons that initially has 2 bataillons.

But if yo buy (purchase) a new unit, the su names are NOT defined in any excel file, at least thats my impression.
HQ website

Pocus

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:55 am

they will use the same names... perhaps what is mistaking you is that the name of SUs shown in the build interface, for units that are yet to be built, are not custom... but if you drop one on the map and you defined names, custom they should be!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Leibst

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:52 pm

I will explain with screens.
First i buy two new units.
[ATTACH]20542[/ATTACH]

then i select one of them. As you can see the SU is named 6.Bat.Mil.Republicana and if a buy a new one it will be 7.Bat.Mil.Republicana, the next will be 8.....and so.
I would like to define in the files the name of that SU.
[ATTACH]20543[/ATTACH]

It seems that take the name from the column ShortName of the units excel file.
Attachments
custonnames2.JPG
custonnames1.JPG
HQ website

PhilThib

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 pm

You can also add custom names into models, last column of the file...it works since ACW

Leibst

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Yes i have it as you say. But only takes that names if the SU enters the game as reemplacement, not as part of a purchased unit.
So, i guess that i have something wrong as you say it should work.
HQ website

Return to “RUS Mods”