TheDoctorKing

New King Fatal Years AAR

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:27 am

Fatal Years AAR 1.03

Starting again with the newest version of FY, installed over RUS v1.03a. Playing as the Reds.

My strategic approach remains unchanged. I intend to focus on the Siberians first, building fortifications along my southern flank to hold off the Southerners. I aim to capture the Volga cities and the Urals, then turn against the Southerners. I will not attack any neutrals who don’t attack me, though I intend to use the option to seek Finnish intervention if it is available to me (the rules seem unclear on this point). I will take a more aggressive approach to the northern region, seeking to capture Archangelsk much more quickly if the foreign intervention level falls. I want to make a special effort to hold on to Perm or at least Viatka as long as possible to keep the Siberians from taking advantage of their connection with the western powers. I intend to use the regional decisions as much as I am allowed and I am leery of using the ‘NEP’ event, though I reserve judgment for the future. With a decent garrison force, I should be able to deal with any green meanies that appear.

Early June, 1918: I build conscript regiments in the cities about to be infested with Left SR rebels. I put all my garrisons across the country on hold at all costs. The South Ural Partisan Army departs on its hegira, this time up the eastern slopes of the Urals aiming to bypass Chelyabinsk to the east and slip into Yekaterinburg (or Perm if E-burg has fallen already). I get a nasty surprise early as I see that many of my troops are at low organization levels and some of my ships need repairs starting out. I get a further nasty surprise when I find out that I am not able to take any regional decisions at all. I foresee a very short career for the revolution at this rate. I put all my garrisons on hold at all costs, put the southern forces on “retreat if engaged”, buy a few replacement points, and hope for the best.

Late June, 1918: Red morale 107, Southerners 100, Siberians 103. Allied involvement 8. Resources 3 EPs, 31$, 72 companies, 12 WS. Siberians take Irkutsk, fail to take Irbit. The Southerners push the Army of the North Caucasus back with some losses – I thought I had them on retreat but for some reason it was ‘conservative’ instead. Ah, well. Trotsky heads for Kazan, Tukachevsky to Yekaterinburg, Frunze to Tambov, Kamenev to Vologda, heading for Viatka in the end if he can make it. I raise some more replacements to fill up the 768 damage I start out with and start a full slate of regional decisions. I’m targeting the provinces I’m going to lose soon, figuring that some of them will be cancelled before they can come to fruition and then I will have a good continuous flow of recruits and money. I intend to use the regional decisions as much as I am allowed. I also start three Cheka missions, since they appear to be allowed from the start, looking to keep the loyalties above 60 in Sovdepia.

Early July, 1918: Red morale 99, Siberians 101, Southerners 100. Allied involvement 8. Resources 7 EPs, 2$, 83 companies, 12 WS. Siberians capture Chita, Viatka, Blagoveshchensk, fail to take Krasnoyarsk. Southerners fail to take Kizlyar. It looks like you pay for your missions up front now, this is new, I think. Thus, starting regional missions in those places I might soon lose turns out to have been a bad decision. Live and learn. Muraviev will probe towards Syzran this turn, while Makhin moves on Penza. Stalin has successfully covered the retreat of the southern forces into Tzaritsyn. It looks like the Whites are converging on the city as fast as they can, not even bothering to pick up the southern towns first. Sorokin, his new corps commander, will launch a spoiling attack against the white forces to the west of the city at Kalach-on-Don, while Voroshilov digs into the city. Meanwhile, Kirov with the Astrakhan force will sail down to Derbent and see if he can’t make some trouble in the Caucasus. Especially if the Southerners are not going to clean up their rear area, we can make things very difficult for them down there.

Late July, 1918. Red morale 99, Siberians 99, Southerners 99. Allied involvement 8. Resources 13 EPs, 21$, 123 companies, 24 WS. Kamenev cleaned up all the Left SR rebels except for the ones in Moscow, whom he somehow overlooked because of his quick departure. Instead, they hammered poor Bela Kun and his Hungarians, while the Moscow garrison sat around and did nothing. Our heroic Red Guards are still holding out in Krasnoyarsk. The garrison in Rybinsk surrendered to the Greens, of all things, costing me a valuable NM point. I must have forgotten to put them on ‘hold at all costs’. Meanwhile, the Siberians have taken Verkhneudinsk. The southerners retreated before us in Kalach-on-Don. Muraviev takes Syzran from a small Czech garrison while Makhin takes Penza with no resistance at all. Blucher has worked his way up around Chelyabinsk to Shadrinsk and next turn will be in Yekaterinburg. Zinoviev arrives in Tashkent, but I don’t know what he’s going to do down there. I hesitate to send one of my few good generals down there, as I think the region is just too full of rebels to really be productive. I just hope to hold on to the capitals for a few more turns so I can get my recruitments done. He will move down to Samarkand. Muraviev goes on conservative defense while the navy tries to keep the whites on the left bank of the Volga. The Cecek division remains on our side, between Syzran and Saratov, as does one Komuch brigade. I send Makhin to take Kuznetsk and open lines of communication between my two armies in the center. I hope I get some points soon as I need to garrision a whole bunch of towns and create some Green-stomping forces. I recruit a new general and buy a few more points of replacements, including one for poor Bela Kun.

Early August, 1918. Red morale 98, Siberians 98, Southerners 99. Allied involvement 8. Resources 18 EPs, 10$, 123 companies, 36 WS. Lot of fighting this turn: Makhin captures Kuznetsk, Kirov fails to take Petrovsk-Port, and the Chechen Division is now besieging Derbent, the Don fleet sinks a couple of White gunboats on the river section closest to Tzaritsyn, Kamenev and the Latvians clean up the Moscow uprising (at last), Semenov takes Khabarovsk, Zinoviev protects Samarkand from a Green column, and Muraviev successfully defends Syzran. Makhin will run down the rail line from Tambov to keep it clear of whites so supplies will continue to flow to Tzaritsyn. Stalin and Voroshilov dig in against an obviously impending offensive by the Volunteer Army. Blucher will go up the rail line from Perm towards Viatka, on conservative stance, hoping to sweep aside any small white forces he finds. The Iron Division moves down from Simbirsk to Syzran to bolster the defenses there. Vastetis gets his promotion to two-star this turn. I also choose the Military Reform option this turn.

Late August 1918, Red morale 90, Siberians 98, Southerners 102. Allied involvement 8. Resources 11 EPs, 484$, 442 companies, 177 WS. Missions 2 cheka, 5 requisition, 4 recruiting. Southerners take Ekaterinodar, Siberians take Syzran, Zinoviev holds Samarkand against the White tribal forces. Blucher captures an undefended Viatka, I can now see the Siberian forces a couple of regions over. Hopefully, we can starve them out now. Kirov slinks over to Grozny to lick his wounds, and towards the end of the turn the Chechen Division shows up and launches a half-hearted attack, which he sees off. Pretty much a stalemate in both of the southern theaters – Caucasus and Turkestan – right now. I play defensively this turn, pulling back to Simbirsk in the north, sending Vatsetis to clean up my rear areas, and building lots of replacements and garrisons for my many ungarrisoned towns.

Early September, 1918. Red morale 87, Siberians 95, Southerners 107. Allied involvement 8. Resources 15 EPs, 28$, 116 companies, 12 WS. No missions. Kizylar and Krasnoyarsk hold out against White attacks, Krasnov takes Novorossiysk and a column takes Maikop, completing the Southern conquest of their core area. Zinoviev sees off another set of white tribals in Samarkand. The Czechs push into the Yekaterinburg region but do not take the town. Tukachevsky retreats to the north, Berzin is still in the region. I put Berzin on conservative defense and move Tukachevsky back to the Yekaterinburg-Perm rail line in line with my delaying defense in the region. My gunboats appear to have free rein on the Volga. The White navies have so far been completely passive, something that I would never do as a White player. Muraviev is immobilized in Simbirsk, a victim of “infighting” no doubt.

Late September, 1918. Red morale 86, Siberians 95, Southerners 104. Allied intervention 9, the Whites must have done something. Resources 19 EP, 17$, 211 companies, 21 WS. Missions 1 recruiting. Small Cossack column attacks Balashov, driven off with about 3000 losses, no NM change. And a significant Czech assault on Simbirsk also driven off with heavy losses, about 4500 this time, still no NM gain. The Whites take Yekaterinburg and blast my forces there, who can’t even seem to get away, but still no NM change. My remaining Yekaterinburg forces will retreat to Perm and see if we can hold out there. Blucher is still facing off against a large White force near Vyatka. Chapaev and Bronch-Bruevich will try to retake Syzran as the Whites appear to have left it empty. If we can take it, we will have cut off two Czech divisions on the western bank of the Volga. As long as it doesn’t freeze and send my boats back home, I can keep them from getting supplies. Stalin is active this turn, he will launch a conservative push out of Tzaritsyn south one region along the rail line to take out an apparently small White force down there. Kamenev and the Latvians are pressing east along the Moscow-Kazan rail line cleaning up pockets of Greens. Bela Kun attacks Rybinsk, then he will make his way east along the Vologda-Vyatka rail line. Here’s a picture of the situation on the Volga Front:

[ATTACH]15794[/ATTACH]

So far, I think I have made reasonable progress. My NM is miserable compared to the two white factions. However, I think I have held important territory and built a reasonably large army. I’m on turn 4 of the military reform implementation time, hopefully if the event works as described, about the time the fall rains end and campaigning can take off in earnest for the winter, my units will enjoy a higher cohesion than Red units usually have in vanilla. Since cohesion loss is the big problem the Reds usually face, I think this will have a significant effect.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rafiki

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:36 pm

[color="Blue"]The discussion triggered by NY Ranger's questions in this thread has been split off to its own thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=22492[/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:06 pm

TheDoctorKing wrote:Fatal Years AAR 1.03

Starting again with the newest version of FY, installed over RUS v1.03a. Playing as the Reds.

I get a further nasty surprise when I find out that I am not able to take any regional decisions at all. I foresee a very short career for the revolution at this rate. I put all my garrisons on hold at all costs, put the southern forces on “retreat if engaged”, buy a few replacement points, and hope for the best.

But it shouldnt be surprising that from the earlier versions of this mod regional policies were disabled in the first turn. I remember there was a bug in the offical engine about the first turn gamey requisition from caucasus, Archabat etc. 4-5 months needed to fix that officially. In fatal years it was fixed before,
Lets hope it wont be an obstacle for the revolution.
And also to remember is that Siberians are less powerfull than the official version. Some of their corps stay locked for 3 turns.

TheDoctorKing

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Yes, as you can see from the next turn, I was able to take regional decisions starting with turn two.

I suspect this was intended to prevent the "gamey" tactic I employed last time of doing all my regional decisions in the Siberian provinces I was about to lose, leaving my White opponents to deal with all the Green rebels that I stimulated.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Early October, 1918. Red morale 87, Siberians 92, Southerners 104. Allied intervention 8 (I neglected to mention last turn that I used the diplomatic option to reduce intervention level). Resources 7 EPs, 409$, 299 companies, 55 WS. Missions 1 recruiting 1 requisition. The gold train arrived from Kazan this turn. Berzin had a command conflict in Yekaterinburg and before he could figure out what was going on, the Czechs wiped him out. Siberians also finally capture Krasnoyarsk. Stalin chased away a small covering force south of Tzaritsyn, but the main group of Southerners seem to have slipped away. Kirov backs down from the Chechens in Petrovsk-Port, retreating to Kizylar. Bronch-Bruevich got a little slapped around at Syzran as a force of Czechs approached from the north, loss of 1 NM. When we lose battles, there’s an NM price, but not so for the whites. This is probably because their armies are smaller and higher-quality, so they don’t lose so many units when they lose a battle. Ukraine Front has cleared the rail line forward from Moscow to Kazan, ready now to take on the Perm front. My plan to build fortifications is hampered by the greatly-increased cost for Red artillery. The cheapest artillery piece in my arsenal is a horse artillery that costs 14/1/6 as opposed to (IIRC) 6/1/3 in vanilla. Artillery replacement points are proportionately more expensive as well – obviously, the designer of the mod has decided that vanilla allows the Reds too many guns. Let’s hope that the same thing applies to the Whites. A good incentive to build an arms factory or two.

Late October, 1918. Red morale 87, Siberians 91, Southerners 106. Allied intervention 9. Resources 8 EPs, 450$, 278 companies, 115 WS. Missions: 4 requisition, 3 recruiting. Three places surrendered, and I know they were on “hold at all costs”. Hmmm, traitors in the ranks. Have to send the Cheka to investigate this. Czechs re-take Penza, cutting off Bronch-Bruevich. White assault on Grozny was unsuccessful. The Czechs tried to take Perm but the “dream team” of Kamenev, Vatsetis, and Tukachevsky saw them off. This time, we got an NM out of the victory. I order the trio to pursue their defeated opponents, ignoring the Green uprising in their rear. Muraviev and Trotsky head for Syzran, hoping to find it lightly garrisoned since the Czechs seem to have headed off to the west. Bronch-Bruevich and Western Front fall back towards Saransk. The Southerners are not being aggressive in the Tzaritsyn region, so Stalin runs back and forth along the rail line trying to provoke them. Since he has a bunch of armored trains, he is tied to the rail line, and without cavalry there isn’t much he can do offensively anyway. Nothing much going on in Turkestan; both sides have their most pathetic generals down there and so neither force has been active for several turns. I continue to build garrisons for all my small towns and also start several infantry divisions for the western front, which should be opening soon. I have Budenyy in Kazan, and I’m building all the cavalry regiments I can for him to at least have a cavalry division. I build the ingredients for one fortress, which will be built in Tzaritsyn in about 60 days.

Early November 1918, Red morale 87, Siberians 86, Southerners 105. Allied intervention 9. Resources 12 EPs, 135$, 30 companies, 50 WS. Missions 1 Tcheka 1 Requisition. My garrison in Izhevsk seems to have starved to death: they disappeared without any NM loss and the Greens took the city. Kirov fails to capture Petrovsk-Port. I think he needs some real troops down there, those Red Guards are not getting the job done. For right now, I’ll send a few regiments from the Astrakhan garrison. We attacked the retreating Czechs outside Perm, captured a bunch of supply and artillery units, but somehow it only counted as a draw?

[ATTACH]15862[/ATTACH]

My guys will keep up the pressure since Tukachevsky has plenty of org left. Budenyy will come up from Kazan and try to clear the Greens away from Izhevsk. Muraviev cleared the Czechs away around Syzran but did not assault the city. I put him on “conservative” assault – he is there mostly to attract the whites back from Penza and relieve pressure on Bronch-Bruevich’s Western Front. And some Southern Whites have appeared in Pskov. I thought they were supposed to wait until I had declared war on the Baltic States, something I have no intention of doing. There are two divisions being trained up in Petrograd, and if need be I can send Blucher from Vyatka west to defend that region. Stalin continues his delaying action in the south and waits for the materials to build his fortress. I continue requisitioning at top speed and raise some Red Cossacks.

Late November 1918, Red morale 87, Siberians 85, Southerners 107. Allied intervention 9. Resources 9 EPs, 36$, 36 companies, 29 WS. Missions none. Muraviev captures Syzran without provoking a response from the Czech/Komuch forces to the west. Budenyy takes Izhevsk and gains 1 NM for the cause. The Southern Whites take a stab at Txaritsyn and Stalin and Voroshilov see them off despite taking more casualties. Whites retreat near Perm, Vatsetis can now become a 3-star! Hopefully that means I can get rid of Bonch-Bruevich, probably by placing Vatsetis in command in the Urals and moving Kamenev to the Penza region. Bonch-Bruevich will go to the Ukraine, hopefully just to hang on to Kiev and keep the Poles at bay. Blucher comes down towards Perm for this turn anyway, as the Whites in Pskov appear to be quiescent. Stalin is reorganizing in the south. A white raiding party took Balashov and he may go up there next turn to clear them out if the main offensive is not renewed. Meanwhile, he has plenty of supplies. One problem: the Volga river navy took refuge from the weather in Syzran, not the best place for them as I may be pushed out soon.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:00 am

Early December, 1918. Red morale 86, Siberians 86, Southerners 106. Allied intervention 9. Resources 4 EPs, 122$, 248 companies, 63 WS. Missions 2 Cheka, 1 Requisition, 2 Recruitment, 3 political. Blucher zips down from Viatka and slaps around the Izhevsk rebels. Still no pressure on the Perm front from the main White forces to the east. Western front to hook up with Frunze coming from the south and assault the Czech garrison in Penza. Hopefully this coordination will work out. Stalin is immobile in Tzaritsyn with Whites blocking the railroad line leading up to Tambov – another good reason to send the Cheka to call on him. The Ukrainian Soviet Army continues to gain strength in Staryy Oskol while their partisan auxiliaries will try an impromptu assault on Kharkov.

Late December, 1918. Red morale 95, Siberians 85, Southerners 108. Allied Intervention 9. Resources 21 EPs, 271$, 270 companies, 124 WS. Missions 3 Cheka, 3 Requisitions, 1 Recruiting, 3 Political. Blucher tries to pursue the Izevsk rebels but they roar back to life and send him reeling back into Perm. Kirov wins a battle outside Petrovsk-Port but cannot take the town. On the other hand, the leaderless partisans of the Ukraine army successfully seize Kharkov. Shows you how impact much a Red Army general can have on the battlefield. We’ve also gained control of Riga, despite the fact that the Baltic states are still prohibited territory, and the game has awarded me 10 NM and 10 EPs. Better spend ‘em quick!. Western Front arrives in Penza and the Czechs hole up inside the town. I am content for now to besiege them, since I only outnumber them by about 3:2 and they are better troops. I build my first fort in Kazan. Voroshilov will go up the rail line from Tzaritsyn since Stalin is still too frightened of the white terror to venture forth. I build garrisons for all my newly-liberated towns and continue my strategy of recruiting like mad and the consequences be damned. I authorize the socialist parties (giving another round or two of recruitment in the home areas) and run a propaganda campaign to persuade the party cadres that this is a good idea. I get several error messages during turn execution: ’TRegionDefs.GetRegionsList FullDebug: Num of iters equals 15 This is too high to be safe. Towards the end of turn execution, another error message “FullDebug: Script Engine Error(s), while parsing line 66382 ChangeLoyaltyFac = 50. This is followed by …line 66401… …line 66422… ….66444… 463, 484, 503, 522, 543, 564, 584, 604, 623643663. Then, “FullDebug: Script Engine Error(s), while parsing line 138970 Apply”. In the end, it does execute successfully.

Early January, 1919. Red morale 93, Siberians, Southerners . Allied Intervention 9. Resources 15 EPs, 203$, 270 companies, 164 WS. Missions 1 Cheka, 2 recruiting, 2 requisitions. An annoying pile of Greens has suddenly appeared near Arzamas – I guess they haven’t heard about our legalizing the SR’s. I didn’t notice that my loyalties went up dramatically in my home areas; I suspect that the option didn’t actually fire or didn’t have the intended effect. I will send Muraviev to deal with them, since the Komuch/Siberian forces on the Volga seem to be making a quiet winter of it. The sailors from Kronstadt head up to Petropavlosk to clear out a variety of Greens up there. My partisans continue to push forward in the Ukraine; hopefully I can establish a line on the Dnepr for now, and push across next spring when I have forces to do so. I see Ukrainians moving around south of the river but no resistance north of it so far. Voroshilov clears the rail line without incident, now supplies can flow to Stalin again. I send Ordzhonikidze to Turkestan. Vatsetis continues the pursuit of the defeated Greens in the vicinity of Perm. I raise a number of Political Commissar units, I’ve been ignoring this up to now. Budenyy has moved to Tula where I am raising a few cavalry divisions; hopefully the core of Konarmiya can go up against the Ukrainians next spring. My fort in Kazan has still not appeared.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “RUS: Revolution Under Siege AARs”