Rysyonok
Private

Taking back Mother Russia: 1917-1920 (Completed, Won)

Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:12 am

Here's a grand campaign AAR that I started at matrixgames.com:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2662395

It's a combination of the 1917-1918 mini-campaign followed by the 1918-1923 campaign provided Whites survive the first part.

I hope this doesn't violate the usage terms of this forum and I would be interested in any comments, suggestions, and whatnot - this is my first AGEOD game and I'm still learning.

PhilThib

Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:25 am

Nice and interesting. No violation here, as you are heralding our games :thumbsup: :coeurs: :D

Rysyonok
Private

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Thank you. I was worried for a little bit (but still lazy not to copy the entire aar over here, post by post).

TheDoctorKing

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:57 pm

Nice, interesting! Looks like the Red AI is pretty aggressive and gives a good fight.

I don't know what you were allowed to build in this scenario but your supply problems might have been eased with a few more wagons.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rysyonok
Private

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:14 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:Nice, interesting! Looks like the Red AI is pretty aggressive and gives a good fight.

I don't know what you were allowed to build in this scenario but your supply problems might have been eased with a few more wagons.

That unit starts out in a forest, with 17 days trips in any direction. Between that, harsh weather, low starting cohesion, and stiff Red resistance it just didn't work out. By the time Terek rebels can fight, they are already starved - they only got 1 wagon to go on and 10 units feeding off of it.

This is very peculiar as any other spawning rebel group always starts out with at least 50% cohesion and can fight from the first round. Also, new spawns frequently have control over their starting area, and these guys have to capture the ground they are on first. They are almost certainly doomed :)

TheDoctorKing

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:25 am

Perhaps the intent is to capture the flavor of the "Ice March" and the terrible privations endured by the White troops during that first winter.

I hope you will continue with the Grand Campaign scenario now. It might be nice to mess around with the scenario files to give the Southern Whites control of the cities you had at the end of this scenario.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the result of your game.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hohenlohe

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:29 am

Congratulations!! It's an inspiring AAR. I did something similar in a german strategy forum with the Finnish Civil War...
http://www.si-games.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21280

I am now trying for my own to lead the Southern Whites to Victory...

greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:46 am

Hohenlohe wrote:Congratulations!! It's an inspiring AAR. I did something similar in a german strategy forum with the Finnish Civil War...

greetings

Hohenlohe

Looks very good, I'll try to translate with google, well done :)

Rysyonok
Private

Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:31 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:Perhaps the intent is to capture the flavor of the "Ice March" and the terrible privations endured by the White troops during that first winter.

I hope you will continue with the Grand Campaign scenario now. It might be nice to mess around with the scenario files to give the Southern Whites control of the cities you had at the end of this scenario.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the result of your game.

While I agree wholeheartedly, it is just weird that such brutal conditions are imposed only on one stack, in a corner of the map and ultimately of little significance, not to mention that this stack (1) historically crushed Reds left and right (2) is a local rebellion, so should have at least some control of its surroundings, unlike Volunteer Army.

I am analyzing my mistakes and whatnot and then I will press on. I won't edit the scenario, for I don't think I did that well. :)

Rysyonok
Private

Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:33 am

Hohenlohe wrote:Congratulations!! It's an inspiring AAR. I did something similar in a german strategy forum with the Finnish Civil War...

greetings

Hohenlohe

Thank you :) I liked your AAR as well. Abundance of pictures quickly made up for my total lack of German language skills :)

Rysyonok
Private

Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:04 am

AAR updated through early July 1918.

Latest post: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2665127

Rysyonok
Private

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:48 am

AAR updated through early April 1919.

Latest post: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2667005

Rysyonok
Private

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:57 am

AAR updated through early May 1920.

Latest post: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2670398

Rysyonok
Private

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:39 pm

And the Red hydra is no more, as Siberian troops march down streets of Moscow... :)
Attachments
Z2.jpg

lycortas
Sergeant

questions

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting your AAR, i appreciate your doing so.

I have not purchased this largely because of the retreat bug/insanity from ROP
where your troops would randomly retreat in any possible direction. Also a few other issues. What is you opinion after playing this? Is it working well enough to be truly playable?

Thanks,

Michael

Rysyonok
Private

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:12 am

lycortas wrote:Hi,

Thanks for posting your AAR, i appreciate your doing so.

I have not purchased this largely because of the retreat bug/insanity from ROP
where your troops would randomly retreat in any possible direction. Also a few other issues. What is you opinion after playing this? Is it working well enough to be truly playable?

Thanks,

Michael

The game is very much playable, especially considering the utter disarray that reigned across every single army in that war in real life.

Thus it's more of a WAD (not that I noticed that happen at all, actually) - but only because it's historically correct for this unique time and place :)

Return to “RUS: Revolution Under Siege AARs”