le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Ukrainian Army never moves

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:06 pm

The Ukranian Northern Army, originally based at Kiev, never moves out of the province it is routed to, once it is dislodged, mostly the province Nijyn.

Orel
Brigadier General

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 pm

le Anders wrote:The Ukranian Northern Army, originally based at Kiev, never moves out of the province it is routed to, once it is dislodged, mostly the province Nijyn.

Ukrainians are passive in the game: all they can do is just stand where they are, without moving.
For united Russia!

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:43 pm

yes, the Ukrainians defends their newly independance, the objective is not to advance forward Moscow. they aren't a faction in the game like the Whites or the Reds.

:wavey:
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 am

State ukrainian army was shy, command was affraid to attack so they didn't chase away the starting small red army in Ukraine (very smaller than Ukrainian one). And their blindly recruted army prefered to plunder own Jews than risking on war.
It was too late for statist ukranian when they decided to move.

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:58 pm

The problem is that they remain in a useless province after being routed from Kiev, not even trying to capture other minor cities in the Ukraine, let alone recapturing Kiev, which usually becomes a point of contention between Whites and Reds.
They could sit on the railroad north of Kiev, blocking reinforcements, advances or retreats, but they just bloody sit there!

Giving them a bit more initiative, like the Greens, after Kiev falls, would just be natural. I bet it could be scripted quite easily.
(You try it, Orel.)

Orel
Brigadier General

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:36 am

le Anders wrote:The problem is that they remain in a useless province after being routed from Kiev, not even trying to capture other minor cities in the Ukraine, let alone recapturing Kiev, which usually becomes a point of contention between Whites and Reds.
They could sit on the railroad north of Kiev, blocking reinforcements, advances or retreats, but they just bloody sit there!

Giving them a bit more initiative, like the Greens, after Kiev falls, would just be natural. I bet it could be scripted quite easily.
(You try it, Orel.)

It is easily scripted. The problem is, I am not sure whether that will be for the better or worse. The AI is not very advanced in making proper decisions, and I sometimes wonder what is better: no movement and no mistakes of the AI or moving Ukrainians with infinite mistakes.
For united Russia!

Narwhal

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 am

I would prefer mouvements & mistakes. Currently, as the White, you can take cities and not protect them at all if you checked the Red/Blacks because even with a stack nearby the Ukrainians are NOT going to attack.

Giving AI to the Ukrainians would weaken a bit the Southern Whites and make the Ukrainian alliance a worthwhile option.

The Fatal Years mod gives an AI to the Ukrainians. Hard to judge the level of the AI considering how weak the Ukrainian army is compared with the powerful hostile forces it is facing, but it "felt" much better when I played in Ukraine, and the "Yellow" (in-game) were quite irritating with their retaking of cities.

Orel
Brigadier General

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:36 pm

For united Russia!

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Narwhal wrote:I would prefer mouvements & mistakes. Currently, as the White, you can take cities and not protect them at all if you checked the Red/Blacks because even with a stack nearby the Ukrainians are NOT going to attack.

Giving AI to the Ukrainians would weaken a bit the Southern Whites and make the Ukrainian alliance a worthwhile option.

The Fatal Years mod gives an AI to the Ukrainians. Hard to judge the level of the AI considering how weak the Ukrainian army is compared with the powerful hostile forces it is facing, but it "felt" much better when I played in Ukraine, and the "Yellow" (in-game) were quite irritating with their retaking of cities.

I think Ukrainians shouldn't be controlled by white player. From my experience ukrainians and especially anarchist AI is very good in fatal years. For single player it is hard for southern whites to control Ukraine until Don is cleared from reds. Which takes around late 1919. I imagine would be even more difficult in pbem match.

Return to “Help to improve RUS”