John Sedgwick
Colonel

Merge order quirkiness

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:03 pm

I ordered Markov's division merge with Mai-Maievski's corps one day away by rail, but after redeploying Borovsky from Mai-Mai's corps to Azov, Markov's orders were changed to "Merge with Kornilov Division" (Borovsky), so he followed him home like a lost puppy. What gives? :bonk: The merge command can be very useful, but it's so quirky I'm always a little scared to use it in the face of danger. Luckily no one was hurt this time, but it could've turned nasty (didn't control all of the railway he traversed), and now I've got to get him back there somehow. Harumph.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

lodilefty

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:12 pm

This happens in all the games. :blink:

I suspect that there is no easy fix, and "hard to do fixes" are off the radar at this time...

Essentially, NEVER split the target group after a merge order is given to someone heading that way.

....or, recreate the merge order after you split the target....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks lodilefty, another lesson learned I guess.

I don't recall the exact circumstances (it was somewhere up north), but in my singleplayer games, I once saw a stack ordered to merge with a stationary stack one region away, make a completely unnecessary detour through an enemy stack two regions away and get destroyed before it was able to reach its destination. Is this another one of those "off the radar" quirks?
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

lodilefty

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:37 pm

John Sedgwick wrote:Thanks lodilefty, another lesson learned I guess.

I don't recall the exact circumstances (it was somewhere up north), but in my singleplayer games, I once saw a stack ordered to merge with a stationary stack one region away, make a completely unnecessary detour through an enemy stack two regions away and get destroyed before it was able to reach its destination. Is this another one of those "off the radar" quirks?

I'm digging into "pathfinding" for RoP questions, and since it's all same engine, we'll be able to better understand these types of things... :blink:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Return to “Help to improve RUS”