Krot
Sergeant

American tanks for White Siberians

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:41 am

Playing for Reds in Kolchak coup campaign my Red partisans near Khabarovsk in spring 1919 faced 2 Siberian White tank detachments. Judging by the units icons that were rhombic tanks of some English model (Whippet I Think). It was a clear sign that the last patch feature “American tank supplies for White Siberians” is working properly.
The problem I see here is that such a rendezvous clearly contradicts history in every detail.

The only tanks supplied by Americans to Kolchak were ten Renault tanks which arrived to Vladivostok in March 1920. By that time the Admiral had been already dead (executed in Irkutsk in February 1920). The tanks immediately fell into the hands of Red partisans. The official version states that the train loaded with tanks was hijacked by pro-Red railway personnel and went to Blagoveschensk. There were rumors though that Americans secretly transferred the tanks to Reds because of their rivalry with Japan. They were afraid of long-term Japanese occupation of Russian Far East that based on Ataman Semenov pro-Japanese orientation.
So the tanks never served in any White Siberian army.

The Reds equipped “captured” Renault tanks with guns and MGs (they were supplied unarmed) and formed First (and the last) Amur Tank Detachment consisting of five tank platoons (2 tanks each). The tanks took part in offensive operations against Whites in Russian Far East in 1920-1921 with varying success. The witnesses of these actions noted great moral effect the tanks had against the enemy who never saw tanks before.

Concluding this message I would suggest to exclude or modify the feature “American tank supplies for White Siberians”. I think that history-based game should not artificially gave the sides “equal possibilities” like in chess.

Here is the photo (you can ignore the misleading inscription underneath) of the tanks I wrote about:

Return to “Help to improve RUS”