barbu
Captain

Too few units show up in the unit tab

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:16 pm

It currently shows only five units, both when creating new units and when just looking at a force.

Can it be extended to the edge of the unit tab?

Look at the image below and at the place where I have put the question marks. It is human nature :mdr: to believe that I have only five units to choose from when building (in fact the list extends to about 12 units).

Edit: The white and green flag you see there is Kolchak's, I could not stand the red X so i removed it from all that force's graphics.
Attachments
2.jpg

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Well if you look to the right end of bar above the pictures of the units you can see some pointers pointing left and right.

The double pointers will shift you between stacks, the single pointers will let you shift within the stack if there are more units then can be displayed in the box.
"Saw steamer, strafed same, sank same, some sight, signed smith" From "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.

barbu
Captain

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:32 pm

I know that the option to see more is available. My point was that the display is not intuitive. There's empty space on the tab to the left of the five units, which - for those of us who have come from AACW - suggests there are no more units.

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Sorry but then I dont understand what you mean.

I have played ACW too, heck I have played nearly all of AGEODs games.
"Saw steamer, strafed same, sank same, some sight, signed smith" From "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.

Clovis

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:57 pm

barbu wrote:I know that the option to see more is available. My point was that the display is not intuitive. There's empty space on the tab to the left of the five units, which - for those of us who have come from AACW - suggests there are no more units.

so habits or Revolution? ;)
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

barbu
Captain

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:25 pm

Now I'm getting angry. :(

Look at the screenshot I posted at the start of the thread. In the unit list there is empty space at the right. This suggests that ***there are no more units*** after those shown. That is to say, that there are only five units.

Of course, that is not true. One has to use the buttons in order to see that there are more units available, "to the right".

My suggestion: use the empty space indicated by the question marks to display units, in other words so that seven, instead of five units, can be displayed at a time (I think two more unit graphics can be shown in the space available, which is where the question marks are). Keep the existing scroll buttons as they are, since obviously there will be many times when more than seven units will be available to buy or in the existing stack.

I hope I have been clearer. That screenshot should have spoken a thousand words. Alas... If it cannot be done or if it's not important, so be it. But many players will be confused. I can't wait for the many threads stating: "Why can I only build five types of units?" or "My stack had 14 units in it. Where did the other nine go?" :mdr:

Clovis

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:59 pm

barbu wrote:Now I'm getting angry. :(

Look at the screenshot I posted at the start of the thread. In the unit list there is empty space at the right. This suggests that ***there are no more units*** after those shown. That is to say, that there are only five units.

Of course, that is not true. One has to use the buttons in order to see that there are more units available, "to the right".

My suggestion: use the empty space indicated by the question marks to display units, in other words so that seven, instead of five units, can be displayed at a time (I think two more unit graphics can be shown in the space available, which is where the question marks are). Keep the existing scroll buttons as they are, since obviously there will be many times when more than seven units will be available to buy or in the existing stack.

I hope I have been clearer. That screenshot should have spoken a thousand words. Alas... If it cannot be done or if it's not important, so be it. But many players will be confused. I can't wait for the many threads stating: "Why can I only build five types of units?" or "My stack had 14 units in it. Where did the other nine go?" :mdr:

Sorry I was just kidding ;) . Your concern is so normal it didn't seemed to me someone could be opposed to it... :D
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Templer
General

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:03 am

barbu wrote:It currently shows only five units, both when creating new units and when just looking at a force.

Can it be extended to the edge of the unit tab?

Look at the image below and at the place where I have put the question marks. It is human nature :mdr: to believe that I have only five units to choose from when building (in fact the list extends to about 12 units).

Edit: The white and green flag you see there is Kolchak's, I could not stand the red X so i removed it from all that force's graphics.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I clearly see 5 different types of units.
- 30 Infantry Rgt.
- 10 Seberian Cossaks.
- 12 Ural Cossaks.
- 4 Turkmen Rgt.
- 4 Mountain Rgt.

That adds up to 60 units. Not 5!

You show a picture in which you have chosen the building mode.
And the game offers you at the moment no more than these 5 types of units to build.

Play a few rounds forward then check the building mode again, you will find then other types of units and more of them.

But at this time you can only build 5 different types of units.
Greetings
Templer

barbu
Captain

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:09 am

I have chosen the wrong word. I shouldn't have said "units", but "unit types".

Templer, you have given me my best argument :w00t: You can actually build about 20 unit types! But you have been misled by the empty space into believing that only 5 are available. It's only when you click the buttons that you realize that there are more unit types to the right.

Thank you, Templer!

BTW: The same problem applies when just looking at a regular stack that has more than 5 unites in it. Because of the empty space to the right, one believes that there are only five units.

Cat Lord

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:12 am

I think this depends very much of the screen resolution. I also think the empty space could be a single one but larger, which could also accommodate a ship ? (which have larger unit icons).

Anyway, I for sure, never spotted that. I am not sure it will be easy to correct.

Cat
[CENTER]
Image[/CENTER]

barbu
Captain

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:15 am

Never mind then. I am the only one who seems to be worried about it.

Gray_Lensman

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:25 am

deleted

barbu
Captain

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:36 am

That makes a lot of sense. Time to move up resolution-wise.
Thanks, and sorry for all the bother. In terms of customer support, you guys are :coeurs: and that's why I (will) keep buying your games.

Cat Lord

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:39 am

Uh, I am jealous !

I thought that with 1600x1200 I had the biggest screen, but you can do 2048 x 1536 ! :D

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:53 am

deleted

OneArmedMexican
General

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 am

Please don't take this the wrong way barbu, but if this really is the biggest problem you could find in the demo, than it seems the developpers have done an impressive job. :thumbsup:

On another note: is it on purpose that the Southern White doesn't have any cities where he can build artillery or armored trains? :confused: Most infantries can be built in any city, but I cannot find a single city on the map shown in green for the construction of artillery (even after conquering the strategic cities south of Azov). Neither is it possible to build Northern White artillery or peasants in Murmansk or Archangelsk. That really doesn't make sense: One can build infantry regiments, but not peasant militia? It is possible to build a gunboat but not artillery (I always thought those things got their name because of the guns they carried)? :confused:

And a second question: It seems to me the train connection between Murmansk and Segezha (the region west of Lake Vyg) might not work correctly. Even after conquering Segezha (100 % control of the area), a trainride from Murmansk to Segezha took the same amount of time as marching (15 days for both).

Gray_Lensman

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:27 am

deleted

OneArmedMexican
General

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:48 am

I may have been incorrect; I just reloaded the turn and suddenly the rail connection works. Strange.
I am sorry should I prove to be mistaken.

Barbu, would you consider uploading the modified flag in your screens? I agree that red cross is really ugly. Where does this flag come from anyway? I thought Kolchak's Whites used the same flag, Russia uses today.

barbu
Captain

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:55 am

Here you are:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=191945#post191945

Can we please have the mods section open for public display?

BTW, the red-X flag is accurate. I've looked for Kolchak's flag online myself and I discovered (obviously) that the AGEOD people have done their research well, that's exactly what Kolchak's flag looked like. It is the Southern Whites who have the modern-day Russian flag.

Cat Lord

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 am

barbu wrote:Here you are:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=191945#post191945

Can we please have the mods section open for public display?

BTW, the red-X flag is accurate. I've looked for Kolchak's flag online myself and I discovered (obviously) that the AGEOD people have done their research well, that's exactly what Kolchak's flag looked like. It is the Southern Whites who have the modern-day Russian flag.
Is it not ?

EDIT: It is.

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:33 am

barbu wrote:Can we please have the mods section open for public display?

As Cat Lord says, it is open (I've checked myself, without being logged on). What makes you say it isn't?
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

barbu
Captain

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:29 pm

How many posts and threads are in it?

The correct answer is 3, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the RUS main forum. The Mods forum looks just like the AARs one, " - " threads, " - " posts.

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:41 pm

He is right, the sub-forum looks empty when you look at it from the main forum.

Cat Lord

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Kotik wrote:He is right, the sub-forum looks empty when you look at it from the main forum.
It has always been like that, even for the other games.

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Cat Lord wrote:It has always been like that, even for the other games.

Cat

When I took a closer look I realised that mod forums are not in the same forum as the game but in a separate forum. A bit strange I think but it explain why we cant see if there are any posting in the forum, there is any a shortcut in the main forum.

OneArmedMexican
General

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:11 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:On another note: is it on purpose that the Southern White doesn't have any cities where he can build artillery or armored trains? :confused: Most infantries can be built in any city, but I cannot find a single city on the map shown in green for the construction of artillery (even after conquering the strategic cities south of Azov). Neither is it possible to build Northern White artillery or peasants in Murmansk or Archangelsk. That really doesn't make sense: One can build infantry regiments, but not peasant militia? It is possible to build a gunboat but not artillery (I always thought those things got their name because of the guns they carried)? :confused:

I know, I am quoting myself which is kind of wierd. But I am getting convinced that there might be a bug with the building system. Some units simply seem impossible to build even if you have the ressources. E.g. the Southern White cannot build artillery or armoured trains in any city.
Secondly, in conquered cities no units can be build at all.

Clovis

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:24 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:I know, I am quoting myself which is kind of wierd. But I am getting convinced that there might be a bug with the building system. Some units simply seem impossible to build even if you have the ressources. E.g. the Southern White cannot build artillery or armoured trains in any city.

You need industry in cities to build such units. No bug. WAD
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Cat Lord

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:57 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:I know, I am quoting myself which is kind of wierd. But I am getting convinced that there might be a bug with the building system. Some units simply seem impossible to build even if you have the ressources. E.g. the Southern White cannot build artillery or armoured trains in any city.
:confused:

In conquered cities, IIRC, it should work. As long as they are industrialised.

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

OneArmedMexican
General

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Excuse me, my mistake.

I take it industry in cities referes to cities producing war supplies, correct?

By the way, my compliments on the demo: great work! I like the way the each faction has a unique feeling (Southern whites with the extreme lack of ressources, Bolshevics with the low quality troops).

Cat Lord

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:I take it industry in cities referes to cities producing war supplies, correct?
They definitely have a different icon with a little brown factory on the top left side.

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

Return to “Help to improve RUS”