felipye
Private

Things Id suggest from RUS experience so far

Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:15 pm

Here are some things about AI I'd suggest:

1. Red AI seems to always declare war on Finns first chance they get, only to mass forces in Petrograd or nearby and never attack. As Finn Army is at least equal at that time (possibly even stronger) and well supplied in Viipuri, only thing that happens is that Reds are locked in defense of Petrograd against at least equal enemy. So, either Finns should be modded to be weaker (not so historical probably), or Reds should declare war only if they plan to try and take Helsinki soon, or they should have a higher percentage chance to not declare war so soon, while they are underpowered.

In many Whites games so far I have had AI Trotsky and a lot of troops (not counting the locked defences) skulking in Petrograd, thus weakening every other front significantly with no cost for me at all from early '19. onwards.

2. It seems that White AI uses foreign troops in wrong theatres (possibly historical, can't say i have studied it too thoroughly). French force from Greece in my games usually gets deployed in Ukraine where it does not control the rail network, so gets bogged down until they disperse (withdraw). I know they would do great damage to Reds if given a chance to use White rail network in Don area as I have used it with no problem either to help conquer Tsarytsin or push north toward Moscow. That is a potent stack with a limited time of existence, it should not be deployed where it is not mobile or useful.

3. Same goes for Chech (Cecek army) troops deployed with Siberian Whites. They are strong, but will dissapear with the withdrawal event. Until they do, they should probably be more agressive and do as much damage as they can.

Just some random thoughts, none of them critical. Have to say im enjoying the challenge whichever side i play and think this is a great addition to the series i want to play again and again. Great work!

Clovis

Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:24 pm

felipye wrote:Here are some things about AI I'd suggest:

1. Red AI seems to always declare war on Finns first chance they get, only to mass forces in Petrograd or nearby and never attack. As Finn Army is at least equal at that time (possibly even stronger) and well supplied in Viipuri, only thing that happens is that Reds are locked in defense of Petrograd against at least equal enemy. So, either Finns should be modded to be weaker (not so historical probably), or Reds should declare war only if they plan to try and take Helsinki soon, or they should have a higher percentage chance to not declare war so soon, while they are underpowered.

In many Whites games so far I have had AI Trotsky and a lot of troops (not counting the locked defences) skulking in Petrograd, thus weakening every other front significantly with no cost for me at all from early '19. onwards.

2. It seems that White AI uses foreign troops in wrong theatres (possibly historical, can't say i have studied it too thoroughly). French force from Greece in my games usually gets deployed in Ukraine where it does not control the rail network, so gets bogged down until they disperse (withdraw). I know they would do great damage to Reds if given a chance to use White rail network in Don area as I have used it with no problem either to help conquer Tsarytsin or push north toward Moscow. That is a potent stack with a limited time of existence, it should not be deployed where it is not mobile or useful.

3. Same goes for Chech (Cecek army) troops deployed with Siberian Whites. They are strong, but will dissapear with the withdrawal event. Until they do, they should probably be more agressive and do as much damage as they can.

Just some random thoughts, none of them critical. Have to say im enjoying the challenge whichever side i play and think this is a great addition to the series i want to play again and again. Great work!

Thanks

1) Bug fixed for the next patch

2) French deployment is historcal indeed, and The AI will generally use them in Ukraine. I will look for possible improvments if needed. But, in the next patch, VP losses for destroyed Foriegn force elements will be very high, to prevent very active use during White offensive with these powerful units, destined to be removed by events.... ;)

3) I don't want AI to use unhistorically units. Czechs weren't sacrifying themselves for saving Russia from communism. I doubt they would have accepted high losses, except it their very own security, like in June 18, was threatened... ;)
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Rasputin's Own Bear
Corporal

Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:15 pm

Clovis wrote: Czechs werren't sacrifying themselves for saving Russia from communism. I doubt they would have accepted high losses, except it their very own security, like in June 18, was threatened... ;)

Absolutely. According to some sources (Budberg diaries in particular) Czechs in Siberia mostly camped somewhere warm and safe, did nothing but consume enormous amount of supply, and became very offensive each time they were asked to actually go and fight Bolsheviks :D

felipye
Private

Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Thanks for the answers. I thought the Chech kamikaze push to be a "bit" gamey, but currently i need all the gaminess i can get to try to win. ;) (will change that)

Currently death of starvation is a much more serious threat than death by lead poisoning for my troops, esp with southern whites. It seems that supply problems are much more serious than in previous titles, so im learning to build and protect depots. That is why Finns seem to me too deadly, as they have a path filled with supply and can keep stack power in above 1000 range almost constantly. Havent tried to declare war on them with bolseviks yet, so i dont have another perspective.

But, there is still that thing with Ukrainian rail system. It is, if Im correct, counting same as enemy territory for any playable side in terms of movement costs. That makes any army stranded there little chance of advancing far enough to count for something (except liberation of Cherkassy, or Kiev perhaps).

Clovis

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:51 pm

felipye wrote:Thanks for the answers. I thought the Chech kamikaze push to be a "bit" gamey, but currently i need all the gaminess i can get to try to win. ;) (will change that)

Currently death of starvation is a much more serious threat than death by lead poisoning for my troops, esp with southern whites. It seems that supply problems are much more serious than in previous titles, so im learning to build and protect depots. That is why Finns seem to me too deadly, as they have a path filled with supply and can keep stack power in above 1000 range almost constantly. Havent tried to declare war on them with bolseviks yet, so i dont have another perspective.

But, there is still that thing with Ukrainian rail system. It is, if Im correct, counting same as enemy territory for any playable side in terms of movement costs. That makes any army stranded there little chance of advancing far enough to count for something (except liberation of Cherkassy, or Kiev perhaps).

To use rail , you need to have at least 25% of Military Control. Of course, it's hard. It was hard in RL too as the Whites ran into supply problems during their great offensive toward Moscow mid-19. BUt we will take a closer look about that, be sure, as it's maybe too harsh :)

Want to win with Reds? Never declare war on Finland :D
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Return to “Help to improve RUS”