Moriety
Major

White Siberian issues

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi AGEOD,

I installed the game today on my new PC with Win 7 pro, [Edit: and the game is fully patched up]
I am getting really frustrating game issues playing as White Siberia in the 1917 Campaign.

1) No units are offered for purchase, even in 1918, only reinforcements which hardly ever seem to actually get deployed. I did read that you have to disband an entire brigade for reinforcements to arrive but dismissed that as a typo as the micro management of constantly disbanding and reforming brigades and then have the armies sit around waiting would be a micro-management nightmare (and my copy would go straight into the bin).

2) Movement: Getting weird movement glitches that basically leave your units so disorganised that they get trashed by the time they actually meet the enemy: two examples; a) Moving a group from the Murmansk box to the on map arrival province of Segezha- told by AI 28 days., 28 days later it's.......still 28 days. The power of the units is now reduced from 1,200 to exactly zero (yep, in just 28 days). Attack cancelled.(obviously!). Enemy has now reinforced the area so they are now a dead army effectively, great...
b) Trying to move a 3-Corps (one Corps containing Armoured Trains) army to attack from Kurganinsk to the province of Armavir, two provinces to the East. The railway track is destroyed on the inbetween province). The AI says it will be 33 days. 15 days later it has now gone UP to 39 days. 15 days later the AI is now claiming it will now take 17 days. 15 days later it actually arrives, but at the inbetween province only. Combat strength is now hopeless.

This leads me to my next problem: by now I was so annoyed with the hopeless times the AI gives I decided I'd repair the railway line and then do an all out attack without retreat (Red/Red ROE's), so
3) Four times the Army (by now I'd combined the three corps into one) went to assault, BUT, they actually just did a single attack, wimped out, and at each new start of turn was back at the start province on Green/Green.
So the AI is ignoring your ROE settings and changing then to whatever it fancies. Perhaps I should just watch the AI play itself?
In all other AGEOD games I've played a Red/Red setting means a battle each day, no retreat and you are still in the province you were attacking on day 15 if unresolved. What on earth is going on?

I'd earlier actually tried with the 3 separate corps and had the weird sight of one of the corps completely teleporting to the province East of the target of Armavir. That was surreal. I did it three times, and each time got the same result.

4) Despite repeatedly setting Corps to move and attack together I have yet to see a single successful coordinated attack. All have led to the Corps attacking individually once they arrive. One Corps contained Armoured Trains, I'm suspicious that they are the cause of the problem.

5) Weird notifications: I was informed I'd taken control of the provinces in Latvia & Lithuania, except I hadn't taken control of course, the Germans had withdrawn and they had become free nations. A few turns later I was told two Latvian regiments had been reinforced, great, good for them, but why spam me with this info? I don't control either of these nations.

Points 1-4 are basically making this game unplayable.

One gripe: Being spammed by the "wear and tear" notifications. I see they are still alive and well in this game!
Can I please make a suggestion?
As AGEOD programme 8 month winters into all four games I've played to date, it's impossible to avoid moving troops around in the snow. so please, please, condense these messages into a single message saying "due to wear and tear X unit suffered X hits over the 15 days".
To give two examples of how spammy they are: with just 3 units moving in the snow, 26 of the 64 notifications were of this type, In another, with 5 units moving, 28 of the 56 notifications (50%!!) were.

I'm seriously starting to look forward to getting back to AACW and trying out BoA 2 over my old BoA, especially after the weird morale reductions imposed in ROP after about turn 50 of the 173-turn Grand campaign that effectively renders it to an 80-turn not-so-grand Grand campaign! Whose decision was that and why?!! :(
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

lodilefty

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19 pm

RUS is heavily RailRoad-centric.

If you don't have at least 25% MC in a region, you don't get the RR movement rate. This severely slows all of uyour units, including trains...
Moving in Winter or rain causes highcohesion losses, which further slows a force [causes the increasing move times]
Corps moves are synchronized only by the Army command:
Synchronized move: If in the same region, the army HQ and all subordinate corps will move together (at the pace of the slowest corps). Note: This is selected by default. In addition, when the army HQ moves, all subordinate corps in the region will automatically synchronize without needing to use this special order.

ROE is not ignored. In all settings, once an attacking force reaches a low cohesion point, the assault/attack ends. Additionally, there is always some probability of rout/retreat.
I don't enjoy the multiple "wear and tear" messages either, but use of the message filters helps get around them.
You'll get many messages relating to potential allies, as information about your friends...

I'd need to examine a saved game to understand the "teleport" of the corps you cite.
http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Send_Saved_Game
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:57 pm

lodilefty wrote:quote:
Synchronized move: If in the same region, the army HQ and all subordinate corps will move together (at the pace of the slowest corps).

Link is dead for army HQ.
I think it was army force instead, which contain its army HQ unit (and the 3/4-star general unit).

Moriety
Major

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:10 pm

[ATTACH]20109[/ATTACH]
lodilefty wrote:RUS is heavily RailRoad-centric.

If you don't have at least 25% MC in a region, you don't get the RR movement rate. This severely slows all of uyour units, including trains...
Moving in Winter or rain causes highcohesion losses, which further slows a force [causes the increasing move times]
Corps moves are synchronized only by the Army command:

ROE is not ignored. In all settings, once an attacking force reaches a low cohesion point, the assault/attack ends. Additionally, there is always some probability of rout/retreat.
I don't enjoy the multiple "wear and tear" messages either, but use of the message filters helps get around them.
You'll get many messages relating to potential allies, as information about your friends...

I'd need to examine a saved game to understand the "teleport" of the corps you cite.
http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Send_Saved_Game

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
It is actually the 1918 campaign I was referring to, apologies. I've restarted and it's now April 1919 and I still cannot buy any units, is this a WAD? (I'm running out of Infantry due to garrison duty.
I think I'm going to separate the Railway wagons, they really are a pain..... :)

The future potential allies: Yes, their entire forces are now cluttering up my Force Listing box as well; all 5 nations. I really wish they could be filtered out. I also can't find the Officers list.

I've noticed a couple of other things which I don't know if the team is aware of in my latest game:
-State of Origin of many, many units are strings rather than names in the tool tip. eg: the Northern Dragoons are described as RECRUIT_NAM_NORTHERNWHITES, the boat in Pskov as RECRUIT_NAM_WESTERNWHITES etc.
-Shipping cannot enter the Baltic at all, so I'm guessing this is a WAD not an error?
-In this latest game a Soviet Corps was able to enter, fight, lose and then stay in a region I was holding in one turn, on day 1 of the following turn it destroyed the railway tracks AND then moved out of the province. Sneaky AI cheating or an error?
-A Cossack uprising occurred in various province to the west of Mikhailovka, three times I ordered all units to the town, and it took three turns of reordering before all units finally made it as the AI kept on cancelling the move orders, but not for all units. Very odd as there was no enemy in the region and military control was in my favour.

I can send the previous save game regarding the issues first raised, but I have a feeling you may have to go back to Early Dec' and set the attack back up as I combined the Corps into a single Army Corps out of frustration and then saved.

Both games have reported critical errors which I managed to get past, however when I tried to report it, as the pop-up suggests it merely took me to my home page on the internet!

Cheers,
Toby

Uploaded the save now if it works!
Nope, I don't see it. It's 3.31mb zipped though (using the freebie jzip programme).

Ah, now I see it at the top, great.

One final thing:
The province of Dzhankoi in the Crimea has 100% green control. I've had a small division sitting in the province for about 4 turns now and the control isn't shifting at all. Is this a WAD for the anarchists or a bug?
Attachments
White South.zip
(3.31 MiB) Downloaded 206 times
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

lodilefty

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:34 pm

First, many improvemnts and fixes are already in place in the beta patch:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?25070-RUS-Public-Beta-Patch-1-06-RC-1-September-4-2012&p=240448&viewfull=1#post240448

1. You are playing as Southern Whites, and so never will be able to buy or control Siberian White forces.

2. In your save, you have many valid unit purchases available, and valid regions for most except NorthWestern Whites [need to get MC and Loyalty somewhere] Did you click on the "big turret" at lower left? The ledger page for reinforcements only allows replacement purchases, plus displaying units being build via purchase.

3. The ledger forces listing has faction filters at the upper right.

4. Your saves don't go back enough turns to see the 'jumping Corps retreat', but I do observe two things in the current turn:
a) You are moving to Armavir in Assault posture. This increases your cohesion losses en route, and will likely cause a short battle followed by a retreat or switch to defensive of your force.
b) You have plotted that Army to intercept the defending force. If they retreat, your force will follow to the region they retreat into. This may be what happened in December [one corps may have been mobile enough to pursue]
c) Remember the Army Force cannot initiate combat if ANY other friendly group is in the combat region. Even a lonely Supply unit will prevent combat by the Army Group [Army switches to Defensive, I think?] This rule is dynamic, so an Army moving to a region where another friendly is moving won't initiate combat if the friendly is there when the Army arrives....

5. Movement orders being cancelled often occurs due to the presence in your starting [or waypoint] region of a hidden enemy [aka Partisans].

6. The Baltic is blocked in error! Good find! There are two issues:
a. The link from Dogger Bank goes to Kiel, not Kiel Bay!
b. Kiel Bay never gets unblocked! Will add to the "third stage" of German Retreats on December 15, 1918.

I strongly recomment the beta patch [and another update will be posted soon].
Also, if you get the "time warp corps" again, post the save immediately....

Note that Army/Corps Synchronized moves work exactly same as AACW/ROP/NCP. Unit purchases are essentially same as in ROP...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Moriety
Major

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Great Info, thanks Lodilefty!

I feel very stupid about the troop build: I did the tutorials but couldn't get any interaction with the turret so assumed the game had changed from release, and then completely and totally forgot about it when I began playing the first actual game....oops, getting old. Now, what was I was meant to be doing.... :)

Regarding the teleporting, a pity. I just checked the saves as well. The Corps actually teleported into Nevynominsk before any battle had occurred (the other two Corps in the same province had still yet to arrive at Armavir after this rogue Corps teleported), one of the reasons it was so surreal. I'll keep an eye out for anything similar, but I'll bear in mind the points you made on the ROE's and consequent interaction with the AI stacks. All units had Cavalry though (re: Patrol/hide values), including the other quirk of the Cossack uprising units moves getting cancelled.

The Ledger: Yep, but you can only focus on all nations or just one. I like to remove the 5 nation's forces I have no control over so I can examine my actual forces! I really miss the traditional officer list as well, it is extremely useful in deciding force dispositions in BoA, ROP and AACW, and could be just as useful in RUS. I've still got BoA2, NAP, PoN and Great Invasions waiting to be played, so hopefully..... :)

Good to see the Baltic issue is just a bug :)

About the green military control I mentioned- 8 turns now and the province is still 100% green, despite a force with a Police value of at least 11 sitting on it throughout. Is this green military control fixed and WAD?

The "wear and tear" spam: In my current turn just one single army corps in a summer move (not winter) generated no less than 14 notifications. That's just one single unit in one single turn. It really needs to be condensed, and should have been dealt with in the first patch for the first AGEOD game IMHO. :) (It annoyed me when I first discovered AACW a few years ago, but I was so estatic with the superb quality of the game that I tolerated it, but it grinds you down eventually....!)

lodilefty

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Moriety wrote:<snip>
One final thing:
The province of Dzhankoi in the Crimea has 100% green control. I've had a small division sitting in the province for about 4 turns now and the control isn't shifting at all. Is this a WAD for the anarchists or a bug?

In the save you posted, Whites have 100%MC in Dzhankoi, with Loyalty of Ukraine 63%, Green 35%, and White 2%......
Your "small Division" is a loose collection of Light Infantry and Artillery, with very low Police and Patrol factors....
...seems WAD to me...
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Moriety
Major

Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:45 pm

lodilefty wrote:In the save you posted, Whites have 100%MC in Dzhankoi, with Loyalty of Ukraine 63%, Green 35%, and White 2%......
Your "small Division" is a loose collection of Light Infantry and Artillery, with very low Police and Patrol factors....
...seems WAD to me...

I put a Cavalry division there afterwards, still stuck at 100% Green every turn.
I actually accidentally deleted the game in the end after trying to go back one turn.

I started a new game and this time loyalty shifted, albeit very slowly. I moved the Division away and it sprung right back. This province definitely has problems.

One other thing I noticed: If you pay to get the Baltics into the war, The British Baltic Fleet gets moved to Ventspils and is thus trapped as all the Western Baltic coastal tiles are out of play in the scenario.

I'm currently playing the unplayable Siberians in the very short Grand campaign. (3/4 of the way through, disabled the AI eons ago just to try to catch up with the deserting losses, but even without any combat have yet to manage to bring all units upto full strength). I noticed a couple of things:

1) Another province with odd behavior: Mukhen (East of Khabarovsk), Vladivostock Eastern Region. This province went from 100% MC by the Sib's to 100% Red during turn processing. A Cavalry division has been unable to shift the loyaly back, so another province with odd behaviour. (Mukhen is under Sib control, as are all provinces in the region that can be)
2) The early game Moscow region uprisings produced Rebel and anarchist units. They are tagged as Southern Whites. I managed to get some back to my lines and trained them up as line infantry. Once trained they never get replacements as the AI doesn't recognise them as Infantry and no Southern White Infantry replacement chits can be ordered. In the end I just got them all to commit Hari-Kari by assaulting a strong Red force.
3) Railway line destruction is quirky to say the least. Early game I managed to destroy rail lines first time. Now I'd guess once you've given a unit the order it has about a 1/4-1/8th chance of success. (Mid 1920). Not sure if this is WAD?
3) The random Green uprisings: The Siberians seem to only be able to support two medium single stack armies at most if all cities are garrisoned it seems. A Green uprising occurred in three provinces that combined was larger the two Sib Armies. I went back one turn of course. These uprisings seem utterly unbalancing in this campaign. The Sib's just don't have the manpower to face these random quirks put into a serious strategy game!
4) River navy units are not blocking river crossings by enemy units as in past AGEOD games, is this a WAD in RUS?
Cheers!

Moriety
Major

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:19 pm

lodilefty wrote:In the save you posted, Whites have 100%MC in Dzhankoi, with Loyalty of Ukraine 63%, Green 35%, and White 2%......
...seems WAD to me...

I just realised you said WHITES had control when you loaded my save- that is really weird. When I zipped the save up GREEN had 100% [MC] control, which I couldn't shift and which was the issue. How very, very strange!

One other province to report on in the Siberia game I'm currently playing, that has also flipped MC from 100% SIB to 100% RED.
Mezhdurechensk in the Einsey region of Siberia. (3 provinces South of the town of Achinsk.). I only noticed it when trying to replace the Czech garrisons that suddenly vanished without any prior game warning.....

lodilefty

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Truly strange..
..perhaps you have the old "loyalty bug" running amok?

Load you game, and call the Console [usually via: <alt>~ ]
Then run the CleanupLoyalty command and close Console.
In a turn or two you may see improvements...

Otherwise, I'm at a loss, especially as you see different things than I do in the Save!!!!!

P.S. are you "fully patched up" to the latest beta patch? If not, do so immediately!!!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Moriety
Major

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:42 pm

lodilefty wrote:Truly strange..
..perhaps you have the old "loyalty bug" running amok?

Load you game, and call the Console [usually via: <alt>~ ]
Then run the CleanupLoyalty command and close Console.
In a turn or two you may see improvements...

Otherwise, I'm at a loss, especially as you see different things than I do in the Save!!!!!

P.S. are you "fully patched up" to the latest beta patch? If not, do so immediately!!!

Hi Lodilefty,

It's not the loyalty that's sticking (and flipping), it's the Military Control.
I've tried the command you wrote in the console, but it's coming up as unknown.

I'm reluctant to patch up from 1.05a for the mo' as I've read even more wacky random events have been introduced such as a wind that devastates your troops, plus huge loyalty hits for raising money. The SIB's exist by the skin of their teeth as it is and losing the chance to raise money will probably kill them off in no time. I just wish AGEOD would give me the map, my troops, an enemy, historical events and let me get on with it: no wacky random events! (whinge over :) )

Did you see the other points I raised in the previous post above?

I've since noticed the enemy river naval units are correctly blocking my path, it seems mine are failing to block their movement though. I'll keep an eye on it as it's possible the Red units passing through were just officers.

What about the British Baltic Fleet getting trapped when playing as Southern Whites?

Toby

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 am

Moriety wrote:2) The early game Moscow region uprisings produced Rebel and anarchist units. They are tagged as Southern Whites. I managed to get some back to my lines and trained them up as line infantry. Once trained they never get replacements as the AI doesn't recognise them as Infantry and no Southern White Infantry replacement chits can be ordered. In the end I just got them all to commit Hari-Kari by assaulting a strong Red force.

I think that's WAD, but badly designed. They were not Whites, you may be given the control of them from the devs for AI problem; they are not intended to join your lines.

lodilefty

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:48 pm

AFAIK, many of the issues you cite are adressed in thhe current patch-in-progress...
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Moriety
Major

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:41 pm

ERISS wrote:I think that's WAD, but badly designed. They were not Whites, you may given the control of them from the devs for AI problem; they are not intended to join your lines.

I started a new SIB game so I was able to examine the two uprisings.
The troops of both the Moscow and Izhevsk uprisings do have problems.
Moscow Uprising troops;
Unit counter flag: Komach
Tool tip info: UNIT_NAM_KOMACH
Unit detailed Info screen: Southern White flag and marked as WHI.

The Yaraslavl gun is marked as from Russia on the tool tip, but as above for the rest.

The Izhevsk Uprising;
The two workers units are all correctly marked Komach but cannot be trained up.
The 5 Volunteer units have the same Identity clash as the 10 Moscow uprising units.

Finally it seems that providing these units are not trained up into Line Infantry, the Izhevsk units (at least) will receive replacements within your lines, if you purchase Southern White Militia chits.

Lodilefty:

Is one of the issues being addressed the failure to break rail lines? I've only tried it with the Moscow uprising militia and the order is almost never carried out. I'd now say you have about a 5-10% of it actually happening.

lodilefty

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Rail line break sounds WAD. Therer was in the past a change in the rule:
  • Destruction of RailRoads is no longer automatic:
    • A check is made of D100 <{less than} Stack Strength. +25 to stack strength if attribute “*pillage*” is applied to model
    • Day of destruction is random. Not always day 1, so if you give a move command, the unit may move away before destruction occurs.
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Please post the saved game of the uprisings
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Moriety wrote:I started a new SIB game so I was able to examine the two uprisings.
The troops of both the Moscow and Izhevsk uprisings do have problems.
Moscow Uprising troops;

The Yaraslavl gun is marked as from Russia on the tool tip, but as above for the rest.

The Izhevsk Uprising;
The 5 Volunteer units have the same Identity clash as the 10 Moscow uprising units.

Finally it seems that providing these units are not trained up into Line Infantry, the Izhevsk units (at least) will receive replacements within your lines, if you purchase Southern White Militia chits.

I think thesse are fixed now, pending more testing.

The Komuch and Siberians share some units [Artillery in particular], so that seems OK.
The rest, as I said, appear fixed for next patch...
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Moriety
Major

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:15 pm

lodilefty wrote:I think thesse are fixed now, pending more testing.

The Komuch and Siberians share some units [Artillery in particular], so that seems OK.
The rest, as I said, appear fixed for next patch...

Great stuff, Keep up the good work!

The two provinces I mentioned having Military Control flipping from SIB to RED and staying stuck at 100% RED despite putting troops onto the province have done it again in this current game. I noticed them in late June 1919.
If you quit the game and reload only then can you get troops to regain the military control. 25% loyaly is lost from SIB to RED as well.
I'm wondering if they are somehow caught up in the South Asia Green uprisings triggers as they seem to be around the same time?
Anyway:
-Mukhen, Vladiivostock, Eastern. (East of city of Khabarovsk)
-Mezhdurechensk, Einsey, Siberia. (South of city of Achinsk).

[Edit] Quit and reloaded three times, control is actually staying stuck at 100% RED. Mezhdurechensk has actually spawned a reasonable sized RED Raider force. In the previous game Mukhen did the same.

Then there was the same issue with the Greens in the Crimean province mentioned before in the Southern White game.

The rail breaks; I've only used the Moscow uprising troops, had four on rotation at any one time, static whilst attempting the task, attempting for maybe 15-20 turns(?) In that period just two breaks have been achieved, so a bit harsh if WAD! :)

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Moriety wrote:Moscow Uprising troops;

The Moscow uprising can not be White, and can't be even Komuch (Right SR). These were maximalists (the few Left SR) and Anarchists.
Maybe they are Komuch ingame for an AI problem, as they would be too badly controlled if given to the AI if Green, or worst, given to Red player if they are made Ana and Red and Ana are (officially) allied!
So, I think again this is WAD, as White player should never been given the control of this uprising. White player can touch here what he should not, for there is not a fourth Ana+LeftSR player here against the Reds (and mainly first against the Whites).

The Izhevsk Uprising;

About Izhevsk I think this is goodly WAD, as people here made a white soviet lol, typical Komuch joke, which would be destroyed once join their actual white allied (ok, almost all soviets too were destroyed, if not made state controlled, once they joined their Red allied..).

Moriety
Major

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi ERSS,

You had a good knowledge of the Civil War, but I'm just reporting game issues! :)
It is actually the Siberians who are given control of the two uprisings in the game. On balance, for the distraction the Moscow one causes, I'd rather the Green AI handled it and Siberia started with a few more Infantry (and a lot less 75mm Light Artillery, especially as they gain a lot in South Asia through pro-Siberia uprisings).

Return to “RUS Technical support / Aide technique”