allan_boa
Colonel

Damned Bolsheviks

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:53 am

This game is really great, having a great time playing it but Reds are kicking my *ss bad. Reds are sprouting from everywhere and show up with armies of 1.000+ strength while I'm stuck with de-activated or locked generals. Is it possible to win as eastern whites ? What am I doing wrong ?
What does it mean exactly when an army is locked ? What is it suppose to simulate ? How do I unlock it?

Thx

deguerra
Major

Re: Damned Bolsheviks

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:23 am

Hi allan_boa,

I'm glad you're enjoying the game - you're surely correct that it can be tough at the beginning, when you're still finding your way and what works for you and what doesn't.

Regarding locked units, they are typically locked in two separate circumstances:
- Locked by scripting: usually only at the beginning of scenarios, but sometimes for certain events. This shouldn't affect most units after the first couple of turns though. That being said, some garrison units remain locked for the entire game (unless attacked). You can usually hover over the unit card to see how long it is locked for.
- Locked due to general activation. There is a rule setting for general activation that means that all stacks lead by an inactive general are also locked. HOWEVER, this can be changed in the settings (even for an ongoing game). The rule is quite interesting in certain circumstances, however especially for a new player I think it is very tough - I would therefore go ahead and change it to the standard rule for inactive generals (whereby they cannot be put into offensive stance and suffer certain penalties, but can still move).

-deguerra

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 am

The game is intended to be played without the locking option, as there is already another locking system added.
The manual is not clear enough on this, okay.
" the Activation Rule, where it is always recommended to select the box where 'commanders will always be able to move their forces, even if not activated' "

allan_boa
Colonel

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:13 pm

OK guys, thank you, very helpful answers ! Will have a look at the activation rule in options ! :hat:

Stratman
Captain

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:09 pm

ERISS wrote:" the Activation Rule, where it is always recommended to select the box where 'commanders will always be able to move their forces, even if not activated' "

Don`t we confuse "not active Units" (leads by inactive generals) and "Locked Units" (with real "lock" depicted)? :papy:
As we know
- "not active Units" can not attack, but they can move & defense (but with 35% penalty). All stacks without commanders are always active!! (but have 35% penalty in offense, defense & move).
- "locked" units can not move and leave region until they'll be attacked or their "locking" time will be end.

Only Japan And British Forces in Siberia locked in East Wites factiion. Other Stacks Unlocked (but sometimes be inactive as any Stack with Commander)

Stratman
Captain

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:16 pm

... Oh, and some forces in Ukraine locked for several turns. But I don't remember - East they or West coz I play all sides

allan_boa
Colonel

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:24 am

Well, not activated stacks have a brown enveloppe and locked armies have a lock symbol. My main concern was about locked ones, not the "brown" ones.

Durk

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:48 am

Yes, understand RUS has very different locked/unlocked rules. The developer recommends never using hard activation as the game locks the Reds every other turn without political leadership. The whites have some similar political issues, but very unique to this game.

Stratman
Captain

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:46 pm

I would add some details on this topic (locked Units):
REDS.
- There are some locked garrison Units, Army HQ and some VIP commanders in Moscow & S-Petersburg (Lenin, Sovnarcom and others "damned Bolsheviks :niark: ) All of them locked till they`ll be attacked.
- Any Stack without Politcom Unit could be Lock during 1 turn. Chance to be locked next turn for about 25-30% (as I feel). If Stack has the Politcom Unit or commander with this ability ("Red flag" symbol) - this RED Stack we`ll be never locked!

WHITES
- There are some locked garrison Units, Army HQ, Japan Force in Siberia, British & French stacks in Murmansk (N-W) and Vladivostok (S-E). All of them locked till they`ll be attacked.
- Some French and Ukrainian Force in Ukraine will be locked for several turns, this region will be open in the beginning of 1919.
- BUT other Whites Stacks are never been locked. Never. :papy:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:14 pm

SMikh wrote:REDS.
- There are some locked garrison Units, Army HQ and some VIP commanders in Moscow & S-Petersburg (Lenin, Sovnarcom and others Bolsheviks
- Any Stack without Politcom Unit, or any commander without the ability "Red flag" symbol, could be Lock during 1 turn.

. For the Reds, more than the strategical skill, it was political sympathy which could lock, like forced imperial generals which protest by doing nothing, or bolsheviks liking anarchists who botch the orders against maknovists.
AGE engine has not this feature, so an erzats was added.
. Trotsky is still a super-hero like in old RUS (some past dev might be a fan), but not with same powers:
before he was mega powerfull, now he has been some lowered, but he was given 2 simultaneous bodies! one in HQ, one in his train (not easy to simulate him otherwise while keeping his flavour).

WHITES
- There are some locked Units BUT other Whites Stacks are never been locked.

But they have desertions like the Reds :)

Stratman
Captain

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:24 pm

ERISS wrote: For the Reds, more than the strategical skill, it was political sympathy which could lock, like forced imperial generals which protest by doing nothing, or bolsheviks liking anarchists who botch the orders against maknovists.

Exactly! This RUS concept nicely simulate this historical detail during Russian Civil War.

ERISS wrote:Trotsky is still a super-hero like in old RUS (some past dev might be a fan), but not with same powers:
before he was mega powerfull, now he has been some lowered, but he was given 2 simultaneous bodies! one in HQ, one in his train (not easy to simulate him otherwise while keeping his flavour).

I am playing GOLD RUS. If Trotsky has been some lowered earlier that's OK. Now his power is good balanced IMO. "

ERISS wrote:
WHITES
- There are some locked Units BUT other Whites Stacks are never been locked.

But they have desertions like the Reds :)

Oh, yeah! That's a huge problem for both REDS & WHITES (and again a super game concept giving us a flavour of this War).
You should add in the Stack a Unit with "military police" ability or you'll lose most of your soldiers turn by turn .
Interesting, that Red guard (militia) does not have a desertion. But as soon Red guard train up to "conscript" level a desertion appears among them.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:36 pm

SMikh wrote:Interesting, that Red guard (militia) does not have a desertion. But as soon Red guard train up to "conscript" level a desertion appears among them.

Revolutionnaries were not fond of military (seen as a White thingy), so it was like in Spain 36 where half the guerrilleros in Spain did desert as the Left republics (Madrid and Moscow) no longer wanted fighters but well controled militaries.
I think the desertions were less numerous at start in Russian civil war (because the russian was some less antimilitary than the spaniard), but far more on the duration (because the area was greater, one often had to fight too far from home, he was brought afar so by language he couldn't understand the other propaganda then join the enemy).

Stratman
Captain

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:29 pm

ERISS wrote: I think the desertions were less numerous at start in Russian civil war (because the russian was some less antimilitary than the spaniard), but far more on the duration (because the area was greater, one often had to fight too far from home, he was brought afar so by language he couldn't understand the other propaganda then join the enemy).

I think so... and can't wait to start GC in Espana`36. Hope it`s as brilliant as RUS.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:17 am

SMikh wrote:can't wait to start GC in Espana`36. Hope it`s as brilliant as RUS.

Not, because History is not wanted being really known here, by everybody even many anarchists.
Espana 36 would be as brilliant as RUS if there were 3 sides too:
. usual Left republicans including few commies
. Right republicans (republic is the ideal of fascism, but not nazism okay) with few royalists
. and democrats (anarchists).
Left and Right republicans fight against each other, but anarchists are for them their true enemy, as bourgeois and royalists are compelled to ally to be able to reign onto people (like in France, NorthAmerica, Weimar Germany). Anarchists didn't want to believe what before they understood very well, both theorically and practically (murdered); so many wanted to believe in the fraternity of the (left) bourgeoisy... Anarchists failed very bad as they (or rather too many treacherous of their leaders) gave the people ass to the left bourgeoisy, that's so a shame that they still share the rejection of History.
Still nowadays, so many anarchists call themselves 'republican', showing they still have the dick of bourgeoisy in their ass.
Despite Durruti politically save the honor of spaniard anarchists (he was against the CNT total submission to republicans), while anarchist Mera was maybe the best general of the 'republican' side.

Left republicans might have win through a shared victory with anarchists, but leftists (the Left wants to be the next Right) prefered to let the victory to their Right republican enemy brothers, than to share the Spain with the scorned democrats.

What happened recently in Spain is an echoe of this: Right and Left republicans allied against Barcelona, but this time their rich regionalists have here the lead over the anarchists (catalanist bourgeoisy is sure republican, so the independance is confused, as catalan people doesn't want an own Madrid-like power at home).

Still, the game is nice.
Last edited by ERISS on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stratman
Captain

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:19 pm

ERISS wrote:Espana 36 would be as brilliant as RUS if there were 3 sides too:
. usual Left republicans including few commies
. Right republicans with few royalists
. and democrats (anarchists).
What happened recently in Spain is an echoe of this: Right and Left republicans allied against Barcelona (but this time their rich regionalists have here the lead over the anarchists).

ERISS, thank you so much for this detailed post!
I know this conflict bad, but AGEod games drive to learn deeper.
Agree 3 sides is always more interesting to deal with!

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:29 am

SMikh wrote:Espana 36
I badly know this conflict

That's why you didn't ignore my post lol, as so many could feel insulted and try to ban me :D
But I just feel like an undistorded mirror.

Stratman
Captain

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:28 am

ERISS wrote:That's why you didn't ignore my post lol, as so many could feel insulted and try to ban me :D
But I just feel like an undistorded mirror.

Oh... I find our conversation pleasant and useful. History is the subject which unites many users here.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:37 pm

EDIT: I erazed: sorry for continuing off-topic

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:32 am

yea locking leaders is not practical for this game because of the scope involved.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”