Offworlder
General

Returning to the game...

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:19 pm

Returned to the game after a long time and need some heads up. Playing as the Reds...

1) What can I do about those divisions which I recruit and remain 'stuck', never becoming active because the cavalry regiment doesn't finish training?

2) Do some of the Red generals get promoted? I've seen Shaposhnikov, Timoshenko and others stuck at 1* level no matter how many combats they participate in, but quite a lot of the crappy ones (and lord if there are a lot of crappy ones!) get automatically promoted

3) How best to use the partisan forces? They collapse as soon as a semi decent unit arrives. Also what to do with the partisan generals? Do you keep them with partisans or put them with line units? Some of them are pretty decent.

Thanks in advance!

The Lev
Sergeant

Re: Returning to the game...

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:19 pm

The stuck divisions often require a cavalry replacement to finish training-I've often found that the defection events often cause losses in training units who then get stuck in these loops, but stick a few cav replacements and they should finish training

Thats' a historical thing, I'm not sure whether its' the settings but some generals will randomly get promoted to Corps command (Tolstov for E.Whites) despite literally sitting in Iletsk and doing nothing beforehand, Identifying key leaders is important but some will just refuse to promote (Like the Ukrainian commanders....)

Use Infantry partisans to sit around in forests and gain control over them-they hardly ever run out of supply and are great for forward reconnaissance as they just keep evading. Cavalry partisans however....Those guys-every cavalry division should have one of those, and stick a few together under a good cav commander, hide them in a forest and wreck havoc on their rail lines. Its' a micro game but my does it give results (Tempting as it may be, partisans ought not to be used even if massed in standard attacks, their ambush mechanic is yet to be understood by me either)

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:37 pm

The Lev wrote:The stuck divisions often require a cavalry replacement to finish training-I've often found that the defection events often cause losses in training units who then get stuck in these loops, but stick a few cav replacements and they should finish training

Trotsky had made special propaganda to build (few) cavalry (non-cosak) unit (elite?? rather scraping paesants to their workhorses?). I don't know if this is a RGD option ingame.
So, yes, asking for too much cavalry units is one of many newbs' trap of this game...

Offworlder
General

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Unfortunately even with cavalry chits in reserve, they still seem to be stuck in the loop. I don't even buy cavalry brigades as these never activate...very strange. However, single regiments seem to manage to come together, especially at the beginning of the game.

Re partisans, I need to reassess my usage... guess the ones in the Ukraine will be sent to the marshes :)

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”