HidekiTojo
Colonel

Tips and General Strategy Advice for Whites

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:52 am

What I need is advice on strategy. After getting quite a lot of time in with civil war II I'm pretty competent now.

My problem is that i never read that one book I have on this topic. Now history is one thing but what's really a setback is my almost complete lack of knowledge about Russian geography.

Especially the area where this game takes place.

I have a fondness for the white Russian forces, and particularly the Siberian Kolchak ones.

But I desperately need some tips on grand strategy even if they're vague I just want to have at least a basic idea how to win.

Southern Whites advice wouldn't hurt either! :D
TEAW Beta Team

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:04 am

Haha, I had the same problem. I'm fairly competent in geography in general, but the mass that is Russia is a tough bird to tackle. The Siberian Whites need to try to concentrate along the Volga. Kazan, Ufa, and Samara are probably priority number 1 after you clean up the rear area insurrectionaries. Perm, Syzran, Symbirsk, and Saratov are the next targets but need to be taken as forces become available. Use your training officers in rear areas to train as many cheap conscript units into regulars as possible. This advice changes radically if you're wanting to PBEM though. And the Southern Whites are almost completely different as well. Don't even get me started on the Drang Nach Osten scenario either. Play Drang if you ever feel like the grand campaign isn't complicated enough.

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:Haha, I had the same problem. I'm fairly competent in geography in general, but the mass that is Russia is a tough bird to tackle. The Siberian Whites need to try to concentrate along the Volga. Kazan, Ufa, and Samara are probably priority number 1 after you clean up the rear area insurrectionaries. Perm, Syzran, Symbirsk, and Saratov are the next targets but need to be taken as forces become available. Use your training officers in rear areas to train as many cheap conscript units into regulars as possible. This advice changes radically if you're wanting to PBEM though. And the Southern Whites are almost completely different as well. Don't even get me started on the Drang Nach Osten scenario either. Play Drang if you ever feel like the grand campaign isn't complicated enough.

That's excellent I'm quite grateful. Very nicely put, I'm very good at geography and that's something I take pride in yet Russia is a vast expanse which is a little tough to tackle.
TEAW Beta Team

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:26 pm

HidekiTojo wrote:That's excellent I'm quite grateful. Very nicely put, I'm very good at geography and that's something I take pride in yet Russia is a vast expanse which is a little tough to tackle.

one excellent resource is Bornego's trilogy of RUS AARs. Unfortunately all over on the Paradox AAR forum but one deals with the challenges and plans for the Siberian Whites. He also did one for the Southern Whites

As to the geography, esp with the Siberians, what matters most is the rail net - defend or attack on those lines rather than worry too much about an overall front line
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”