Jagger2013
General of the Army

Position Batteries

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:33 pm

I built a position battery and now I am not sure how to use it. A position battery unit is emplaced fortified artillery batteries. It is a static unit however you can move the unit within the province. So if a city is in the province, I can place the battery either inside or outside the city and can move it in or out of the city turn by turn.

So what is the best placement for a position battery? Should it be in the city or out? If I have an army in the province, should I join the mobile forces with the position battery?

Anyway, I am very uncertain where and how to use the position battery. Anybody else thought it out and have some ideas?

Philo32b
Captain

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:23 am

I would also be interested in what others do, but for myself I would put it in a city or outside depending on what goals I was trying to achieve by building it. If I was building it as part of a larger static force to permanently protect the city, for example, I would put it with the force in the city. This force will be much smaller than a typical RUS army, though, so it will be important to use the city's/fort's much smaller frontage to my advantage. Also, since the battery can't move out of the region, nothing is risked by putting in the city, unlike an army which can then be trapped in the region. (The same can't be said for the static force, of course. But less is risked with that smaller force than an army.)

If on the other hand I am building the positional battery to protect a strategic choke point that I will be covering with my mobile armies, then I will put it outside the city. This is so my mobile army can link up with it and it can support them. I would probably put it in the army stack, though I don't think that should really matter, other than if it has a command penalty by itself (do positional batteries get command penalties? I have a memory that they don't, but could be wrong.) I should note that I almost never build a battery for this second reason, because I want to have an elastic defense and be able to maneuver away without the risk of giving the enemy a nice battery that I paid for. With regard to the first reason, protecting the city/resource/whatever, that has to be valuable enough for me to risk losing the battery to the enemy, but I do build these from time to time.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:04 am

I noticed that the static ability for the position battery applies only to the battery. If a retreat is forced, I am assuming the mobile forces would be able to retreat abandoning the position battery but not sure.

Philo32b
Captain

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:19 am

Yes, a very recent patch made that a reality, if I remember correctly. So you can add the battery to your army stack, and it won't mess anything up if you have to retreat.

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:07 am

I place it inside cities, but I only build position batteries if I have at least 10k troops there, normally in the form of garrisons.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:06 am

Well one thing I am learning is entrenched troops are very, very tough. I imagine adding forts and position batteries to some locations could make them almost invincible.

Is there any way to tell how deeply entrenched is an enemy force? Sometimes I get nervous about launching an attack when I don't know how deeply entrenched an enemy force might be. If they are entrenched at level 4, my troops might get massacred. Right now, I can't tell how deeply an enemy force is entrenched before attacking.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”