Cat Lord

French and Greek FTW ?

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi everybody,

let me present you a new feature of RUS, the Strategic Map:

The Strategic Map is like a giant minimap.

As well as being more readable, you can notice some differences with the minimap:

* Armies are represented by squares. Fleets are represented by triangles.
* Squares and triangles come in 3 different sizes. The game allocates these sizes using a 3-tiered system, depending on the relative size of the forces on the map. So, if your army is among the smallest forces on the map, you'll get a small square. If your army is among the strongest, you will get the largest sized square.
* Hovering the mouse over the squares and triangles gives you a tooltip naming the forces they represent. Here I am pointing at the French fleet: We are in 1919, the French and the Greek Expeditionary Forces have just disembarked on the Ukrainian coast !
* As you can see, the minimap shows many colours, since it displays the forces' nationality. The Strategic Map, on the other hand, is displaying the factions, so there are fewer of them. This is because some factions control more than one nationality.

Multi-factions is the second new feature I want to explain a bit more about in this post :) :

In the previous AGE based games, they were only 2 playable factions (E.g. The Blue and the Grey in AACW). In Revolution Under Siege, during the main Russian Civil War campaigns, there will be more than two factions at a time on the map.

There is always the Communists, of course (the red squares and triangles, on the Strategic Map), but the White Russians, for example, are divided in two factions: The Southern Whites and the Siberian Whites. Each of them can be played by a human or an AI.

The Southern Whites' faction controls the Southern Whites (obviously), the Don Cossacks (same faction, another nationality), the Northern Whites (Yudenich), and all western power forces that where sent into these areas (such as the French and the Greek Expeditionary Forces, but also the US Polar Bear and the English forces at Murmansk). On the Strategic Map, they are the light grey squares and triangles.

The Siberian Whites' faction controls the forces of Kolchak, and in general, all the forces on the East side of the Urals, allied with the Whites. On the Strategic Map, they are the white squares and triangles.

In a solo game, playing the Whites, you generally control only one of the two factions, and will have to let the AI play the other.

In a PBEM game, you can have up to 3 players: One for the Red, and two for the Whites.

Finally, some factions are not played by any human: The Greens, for example, are always played by the AI (the green squares, on the Strategic Map).

Some nation may change faction depending of events or of player's choices in the ledger. Makhno's anarchists, for example, may be an AI non-playable faction like the Green, or may join the Reds. The Whites can recognise other nations' independences and have them join the war at their side (The Finnish for example). Of course, getting those allies will not come for free !

Cat
Attachments
StrategicMap.jpg
[CENTER]
Image[/CENTER]

beatoangelico
Private

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:15 am

the map looks impressive, but I have a few remarks and questions:
can you click on a icon and jump to the corresponding stack?
can you zoom the strategic map? it looks a little tiny
it would be nice if you can get the name of the leader in addition to the name of stack in the tooltips
also I have to say that white and light grey colours are barely distinguishable to me

Cat Lord

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:19 am

beatoangelico wrote:the map looks impressive, but I have a few remarks and questions:
can you click on a icon and jump to the corresponding stack?
can you zoom the strategic map? it looks a little tiny
it would be nice if you can get the name of the leader in addition to the name of stack in the tooltips
also I have to say that white and light grey colours are barely distinguishable to me
Last time I ask Pocus, he said he wanted the "jump to" feature for it. :thumbsup:

You won't be able to zoom the strategic map, but you will get the same effect by unzooming the main map. It's just that even on max unzoom and a big screen (as you see I play it 1600x1200), it is still not possible to see all the map at once :blink: , hence why the strategic map is useful. :)

For the colours, they may change. :)

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:04 am

Cat Lord wrote: even on max unzoom and a big screen (as you see I play it 1600x1200), it is still not possible to see all the map at once :blink: , hence why the strategic map is useful. :)

I already can hardly play AACW on my 5/4 1280x1024 screen. I'll buy RUS but I'll maybe play it when I'll change my monitor, in one year or two (for a 1600x1200?).

"French FTW?" Lol, they were full of themselves, idiots who finally unintentionally only helped people to rebel. What a White's ally! (Actually frenches were acting as real Whites here!)
A mixture of bureaucracy and aristocracy (why the French lost versus German in 1940 as they paralyzed their own best army of the world).

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:16 am

ERISS wrote:
"French FTW?" Lol, they were full of themselves, idiots who finally unintentionally only helped people to rebel. What a White's ally! (Actually frenches were acting as real Whites here!)
A mixture of bureaucracy and aristocracy (why the French lost versus German in 1940 as they paralyzed their own best army of the world).

Black sea is very windy :) . and very much current (lol) no fault to aristocracy :D But I advise 1920 * 1080 it should look marvelous,

But Greek Expeditionary Forces :confused: they should get stronger after empire ?

And Istanbul, ankara and Erzurum as provinces south of Black sea? And mediterian sea zone south of Turkey?

and Big casparian sea some(Azerbaijan) say lake :)

I think Ural mountains are shown as some dark color slightly east and north of Casparian.

Steppes and forests are very much in good place I imagined kazakhstan( not possible fly with normal plane) possible to fly with 2 propeller plane(dangerous but exciting :) journey ) only in nowadays into interior parts of steppe.

Aral sea(or lake) is ok. Ends with some china border(off map boxes) and inside map some Kırgız, Tatar and Kazak(not all parts)
It looks excellent thanks for your work again for researching good geography not only armies :)

Hohenlohe

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:36 am

Wonderful! Magnificient! Awesome map and the explaination makes me very happy. I still see myself leading the southern Whites to a decent success.
If all options choosen wisely I can perhaps defeat the Red Nightmare with my allied forces.
Above all I like the Cossacks.

offtopic:

Some years ago I came into contact with some Ukrainians and former Don Cossacks and they gifted me with a good book about the History of the Ukrainia and the Cossacks.
Wonderful people!

greetings

Hohenlohe :coeurs:
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Cat Lord

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:08 am

Baris wrote:But Greek Expeditionary Forces :confused: they should get stronger after empire ?
The Greek send ~24000 troops alongside the French in Ukraine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_intervention_in_the_Russian_Civil_War#Foreign_forces_throughout_Russia

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

Nikel

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Excellent stuff, congratulations :)

I wonder if this idea of the strategical map could be taken to another level, I mean that you can also play in this mode.

An example IMHO could be a game based on Napoleon's Campagne d'Égypte . You coud have 2 tabbed maps to play with, a strategical map with the mediterranean sea where you manage the fleets and supplies and an operational map of egypt, Syria,... where you manage land troops.

And the tactical of the battles for HPS :neener:

So when can we expect ABCE 1798-1801? :D

Charles
Lieutenant

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:32 pm

very nice! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Cat Lord wrote:The Greek send ~24000 troops alongside the French in Ukraine:

Cat

off topic: I didnt know the number of troops thanks. I was surprised. Expeditionary Force should be in the south of black sea not north :) . As Greeks(mainly Venizelos) main aim for joning ww1 is to get land(mainly Izmir) and islands from neighbour Turkey. what are they doing in Ukraine? :) :D

on topic: As Greek army landed soldiers(Le Traité de Sèvres) in 15th may 1919 to "İzmir" or "Symrna" in east part of aegean sea, is there event about that? it should effect replacements Greek receive or NM. if..:

In the screenshot date is may 1919. So they just disembarked big force on the Ukrainian coast in that date while less force in Izmir?

PhilThib

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:10 pm

That may be one of the reason(s) - among many other - why they failed in their attempt against Turkey.... to much spread all over ;)

Could be a nice flavor event to add indeed. Could you provide us a nice photograph of the Izmir landing? That would make it nice in the illustration of the event

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Actually it is because of "Le Traité de Sèvres". During the WW1 Turkey was allied with Cental powers. As Germany defeated. And because of the treaty some Turkish army unvoluntarily leave the barracks and didnt resist. Greece should also involuntarily send so many soldiers to Ukraine, as there should be some promise by west about "Sick man of Europe"'s land.

French,Italian and British navy were also blocking harbours not only Greece if any resistance can happen in Izmir. They allowed Greece to land to Izmir. There was no resistance...

In 1922 Turkey was able to defeat some allied forces mainly Greece. Mainly with volunteer civilians and irregular soldiers.

Peasant Woman carrying ammuniton, statue. Behind the woman is the son of her wearing traditional dress. Greeks have the same dress for men (When I was in army in logistic department there was a good painting about woman carrying ammunition)

[ATTACH]12469[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12470[/ATTACH]

Some photos about Greek soldiers entering Izmir. (may 1919)

[ATTACH]12466[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12467[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12468[/ATTACH]
Attachments
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
izmir 3.jpg
izmir 2.jpg
Izmir.jpg

Reverend Zombie
Sergeant

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:55 pm

In a solo game, playing the Whites, you generally control only one of the two factions, and will have to let the AI play the other.

How about for 2-player PBEM? Having one player forced to play with an AI ally would be quite a handicap.

J P Falcon
Private

Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:00 pm

On the surface, I can see the historical reasoning of not being able to control both Deniken's and Kolchak's forces but I am curious if there is an ability to at least try to "influence" the direction you want your AI partner to go? In other words, does the gameplay of your AI ally affect your own victory conditions and goals?

I guess one can look at it from a WWII perspective of you playing the Allies but the AI controls Russia, and how the Russian AI gameplay would influence your victory conditions.

Fatboy
Sergeant

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:51 am

Looks fantastic! Should make managing a game on such a large map a lot easier.
Q. What do the tabs & pins at the bottom of the strategic map do? :confused:

Cat Lord

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:36 am

Fatboy wrote:Q. What do the tabs & pins at the bottom of the strategic map do? :confused:
It's to move between the pages of the ledger. :)

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

Grosshaus
Conscript

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:39 pm

The map looks clear, although I don't understand some of the functionality in it or discussion here as I don't have experience with any of the previous ADEOD games.

So there will be Reds, Greys, Whites and Greens. What about German and Austrians?

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”