Nikel

Strategic map and White campaign

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi.

Just a pair of questions, sorry if they were already commented :)

Regarding the strategic map, that is awesome by the way, would it be possible to add some functions?

- Like in the minimap, click anywhere in the map and go to that location, right now only available for units.

- Filters support like in the full map.

- Buttons to display/hide the units and add this possibility for strategic towns and objectives

Also there were some talking and requests about White player controlling both siberian and south contingents. Finally will it be done as a variant of the main campaign?

Regards and thanks in advance :)

Nikel

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Just a bump :)

barbu
Captain

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Regarding the latter point: it is unlikely it will be done, for two reasons:

1. Historically, the Southern Whites and Kolchak didn't communicate, so nothing like:

Denykin1872: wassup
KolchakAdmiralIAmSuper: sup
Denykin1872: hey when r u attacking moscow?
Denykin1872: ?
KolchakAdmiralIAmSuper: 2morrow
Denykin1872: ok, i'll get started as well

ever took place. In other words, it wouldn't be historical to have one white side.

2. If you really, really want to play as the united Whites, just pick the Southern Whites, do your moves, save, load the save as the Siberian Whites, do your moves and click end turn. And so on for every turn (I hope I'm not getting something wrong).

Nikel

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks for the answer :)

Yes, I knew it is not considered historical, but also Drang Nach Osten is hypothetical and there is a scenario ;)

von Sachsen
Captain

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 pm

It would be interesting to have a chance of some sort of cooperation in the even of the two Whites linking up, though of course negotiations could always go sour...

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:36 pm

Well.. I really not prefer any cooperation between the whites in GC.
Drang Nach Osten is hypothetical but not really hypothetical scenario indeed. But I could not find the link between the two. I hope some work done in the Drang scenario also, that I attach some save files about regional policies etc.. . :)

Nikel

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 am

Baris wrote:Well.. I really not prefer any cooperation between the whites in GC.
Drang Nach Osten is hypothetical but not really hypothetical scenario indeed. But I could not find the link between the two. I hope some work done in the Drang scenario also, that I attach some save files about regional policies etc.. . :)

Note that I am requesting it as a variant of the full campaign, not replacing it ;)

Regarding DNO, well I do not know of this period of history as much as I would like, but DNO is hypothetical, is an operation Barbarossa 20 years before, is it not?

Germans hold huge parts of the colapsing russian empire at the end of the WW1 and the Freikorps was involved in the Baltic states, but DNO is different.

And waiting for Pocus' answer to the strategic map requests :neener:

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Conflict is really complicated but I think it is needed to be simpified in age engine but not good to simplify further to make allies from WH1 and WH3.
Interesting info from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Baku

Azerbaijan should suppose to be in the white alliance but.. :confused: :)

Baku commune not to be mixed up with Hıncak(Marxists) party. "Dashnak" actually are Armenian nationalists.

MadBaron
Corporal

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:48 am

barbu wrote:Regarding the latter point: it is unlikely it will be done, for two reasons:

1. Historically, the Southern Whites and Kolchak didn't communicate, so nothing like:

Denykin1872: wassup
KolchakAdmiralIAmSuper: sup
Denykin1872: hey when r u attacking moscow?
Denykin1872: ?
KolchakAdmiralIAmSuper: 2morrow
Denykin1872: ok, i'll get started as well

ever took place. In other words, it wouldn't be historical to have one white side.

2. If you really, really want to play as the united Whites, just pick the Southern Whites, do your moves, save, load the save as the Siberian Whites, do your moves and click end turn. And so on for every turn (I hope I'm not getting something wrong).

Very funny that "White Chat"! made me laugh a lot...

I remember playing a RCW wargame where Whites had some restrictions to combined space activations reflecting lack of coordination. This was to be solved by establishing a link between Ekaterinodar (Southern forces main city) and Omsk, very hard task anyway..

Could some like that be possible in game design terms? who knows...

barbu
Captain

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:56 am

The option must have existed in the mind of the designers. They either decided:

a) it wasn't realistic

or, most likely

b) it would make things too easy for a White human vs. Red AI.

Nikel

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:33 am

b) is not an excuse either ;)

There are some games with scenarios designed (or recommended) specifically to be played PBEM

barbu
Captain

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:59 pm

You're right, I had completely forgotten about that.

Athens
Brigadier General

Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:32 pm

In the next version of FY, tomorrow, the Siberian Whites will under some conditions take control of the Southern Whites during a game.
Fatal Years mod for RUS: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975

My blog: http://moddercorner.com/about/

[SIZE="2"]Players quotes about Fatal Years:[/size]

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

Nikel

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks Clovis! :)

I guess those conditions will be very tought.

Control of the Tzaritsyn-Astrakhan axis and the Volga essential to link up with our brother in arms ;)

barbu
Captain

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:21 am

I don't mean to be a nitpicker, but why not the other way around as well, i.e.
Southern Whites taking control of Siberian Whites?

Athens
Brigadier General

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Nikel wrote:Thanks Clovis! :)

I guess those conditions will be very tought.

Control of the Tzaritsyn-Astrakhan axis and the Volga essential to link up with our brother in arms ;)

Tzaritsyn control for 5 turns and large chunck of Volga banks are indeed required.

If Kolchak was victorious, there were no reasons for Southern Whites to contest his leadership. If he's as in RL going to lose, the distance between Southern and Siberian will be at last 1,000 kilometers, so without possibilities to coordonate. That's why the option will be only offered to Siberian.

BTW, it's a lot of work, but the result for gamaply is impressive/ Siberian Side has now a real interest to be played, and in PBEM with 3 players, this rule has for primary effect to create frictions beween the 2 White players, unless Southern is willing to leave the game of course :D .

FY, the mod which uses all the script engine, for better AI and better gameplay. :)

Back to more frequented forums.
Fatal Years mod for RUS: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975

My blog: http://moddercorner.com/about/

[SIZE="2"]Players quotes about Fatal Years:[/size]

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”