Yarpen
Private

Replacements

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Great game! And fewer things left to learn with every day :-)

However, I'd like to ask for help in explaining an idea of replacements, cause manual is, too say diplomaticaly, unclear.

Let's say one of my units suffered some losses in a recent combat. I.e. a 1-element Red infantry brigade lost 2 of its 10 strenght points. How do I exactly replenish these losses?

I understand I should "buy" through Ledger (does it have a cost of some sort at all?) an according replacement chit. Let's say I look for Red infantry replacements chits and see a # next to a proper counter informing that I can have possibly 5 chits of this kind. But...
- How do I know how many I need to replace these lost 2 strenght points?
- What if I have many units that suffered losses in the last turn? Where can I see how many replacements my all units would need to be 100% aka how many chits I need?
- I know units have to be stationed to receive replacements. But what decides which of them will receive replacements and to what degree? Can I set some priorities somehow?

General01
Conscript

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:55 pm

The replacement chits each represent an entire element of that unit type: so, for infantry, a full regiment of 1000 men, or a battery of 8 guns and 120 men for artillery. You can only have as many replacement chits 'stored' as you do troops deployed: so, if you have 5 infantry regiments on the map currently, you can have 5 replacements for infantry
Yes, buying replacements costs just as much as buying a new unit entirely. Possibly slightly less in the case of infantry, as I -believe- (correct me if i'm wrong) that a generic infantry chit replaces both conscript and regular infantry for a cost of 5 rubles, while building a regular infantry straight out costs 6 rubles.

There should be a number directly above the NATO sign for the unit in the replacement screen: this tells you how many hits are missing from all units of that type, anywhere in your country. The more red the sign is, the worse the depletion problem on average is. So, say the number above your infantry was 87: That would mean 87 strength hits were gone from all your infantry regiments. Since infantry have 20 hits, you would need to buy 5 infantry chits to completely replace these losses.

I'm not totally sure of how the system works with regard to fractions of replacements: if you have only suffered 2 hits and you buy a replacement, however, it would seem reasonable that that replacement now drops to 18 hits worth of units.

Finally, you can set some priorities for your units: those in passive stance have highest priority, with the priority decreasing as you move to more aggressive stances. I'm also pretty sure that units have to be stationary for a turn to receive reinforcements.

I hope this helps! :neener:

Yarpen
Private

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:13 pm

General01 wrote:The replacement chits each represent an entire element of that unit type: so, for infantry, a full regiment of 1000 men, or a battery of 8 guns and 120 men for artillery. You can only have as many replacement chits 'stored' as you do troops deployed: so, if you have 5 infantry regiments on the map currently, you can have 5 replacements for infantry
Yes, buying replacements costs just as much as buying a new unit entirely. Possibly slightly less in the case of infantry, as I -believe- (correct me if i'm wrong) that a generic infantry chit replaces both conscript and regular infantry for a cost of 5 rubles, while building a regular infantry straight out costs 6 rubles.

There should be a number directly above the NATO sign for the unit in the replacement screen: this tells you how many hits are missing from all units of that type, anywhere in your country. The more red the sign is, the worse the depletion problem on average is. So, say the number above your infantry was 87: That would mean 87 strength hits were gone from all your infantry regiments. Since infantry have 20 hits, you would need to buy 5 infantry chits to completely replace these losses.

I'm not totally sure of how the system works with regard to fractions of replacements: if you have only suffered 2 hits and you buy a replacement, however, it would seem reasonable that that replacement now drops to 18 hits worth of units.

Finally, you can set some priorities for your units: those in passive stance have highest priority, with the priority decreasing as you move to more aggressive stances. I'm also pretty sure that units have to be stationary for a turn to receive reinforcements.

I hope this helps! :neener:

Thank you a lot. This clears all my doubts. :)

TheDoctorKing

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:54 am

My understanding is that if you have a replacement point in your stock of a particular type, the system tries to fill up elements you have in the field first. Elements that have been damaged can take a variable number of replacements depending on their stance, location, supply status, movement, etc. Generally being still and passive and fully-supplied in a structure is best. Each time one of your wounded units receives a replacement point, there is a chance (I was thinking 10% but maybe its only 5%) that one of your stock of replacement points will be deleted.

Your mid-level units (brigades or divisions) have a TO&E strength of a certain number of elements. If they have lost an entire element (a division with four infantry regiments and a battery of guns that has lost an entire regiment) then it has a chance of getting a whole new element and that will for sure eliminate a replacement point.

The system checks in the order I've just given, I believe, that is wounded units are filled up first and then missing elements are replaced.

Replacement points don't always cost the same as an element of the given type. I know Red medium artillery replacement points cost two more WS than the most common Red medium artillery battery. But the advantage of having replacement points over buying new units is that if your wounded elements have an experience level I think the replacements don't dilute that - so if your experienced division takes 75% losses and is replaced back up to strength, as long as it didn't lose any elements it keeps the same experience level. In the game as it is currently running, with the very rapid experience gains, this is a very important advantage. If your guys have fought in a couple of big battles, they are a heck of a lot more powerful than a new unit right off the production line.

Somebody who knows for sure please check me on this.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yarpen
Private

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks. BTW, a small question of other sort. I don't quite understand description of HQ regiment abilities (cohesion bonis). Should it be merged into division with other elements and then it will provide bonuses to THIS division it is in, or it can be left out separately in the whole stack and then it will give bonuses to all units in the stack?

Anazagar
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Yarpen wrote:Thanks. BTW, a small question of other sort. I don't quite understand description of HQ regiment abilities (cohesion bonis). Should it be merged into division with other elements and then it will provide bonuses to THIS division it is in, or it can be left out separately in the whole stack and then it will give bonuses to all units in the stack?

I think that the first is true because when combined in a division the hq will train troops (militia-cons-regs).

Yarpen
Private

Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Anazagar wrote:I think that the first is true because when combined in a division the hq will train troops (militia-cons-regs).

So, it influences speed at which troops are trained? Toolip says it only gives bonus to cohesion and cohesion recovery speed... I just wonder does it give it to the whole stack or only a single division it's merged into.

To avoid any confusion, by HQ command I mean this unit with an image of officer's cap and gloves under it.

Anazagar
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Yeah my mistake - i was talking about the foregin missions but I guess they work the same way.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”