vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

This game is amazing!

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:02 pm

This is one of the best computer games ever made! I am having a great time, just playing the Finnish Civil War. The AI is incredible. I am looking forward to all of the other scenarios.

Ageod, thank you for continuing to develop and perfect this system. Please, whatever you do, get Clovis involved in the AI for PON.

Cat Lord and team, Great Job!

Clovis

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:05 pm

vaalen wrote:This is one of the best computer games ever made! I am having a great time, just playing the Finnish Civil War. The AI is incredible. I am looking forward to all of the other scenarios.

Ageod, thank you for continuing to develop and perfect this system. Please, whatever you do, get Clovis involved in the AI for PON.

Cat Lord and team, Great Job!

Don't worry for PON ;)

Thanks

All scenarios aren't yet oprimized for AI, Revolution under Siege ( May 19 start) and Drang have yet to be worked. Kolchak scneario ( november 18) should work but AI testing has been shallow; And there are certainly some improvment for AI behaviour in the GC, especially after summer 1919. But It should be achieved in the next 2 weeks.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Florent

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:09 pm

I agree here. Very good IA. :thumbsup:
But the map, counters art (infantry, artillery, tanks...) are also awesome. The level of detail, diversity for the uniforms and weapons is fantastic. A terrific immersion as well as gigantic theater of war. Beautifull songs.
All is Epic. I will have to watch Dr Jivago again soon !!
Very few big issues for now. ;)

Lowlander2010
Private

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Yes very very good... it's all the little touches like the effect the commissar's has on the red troops, the effects of the new HQ units on subordinate corps/armies and the new requisition system that make thius game a classic..

Well done Agoed :)

Clovis

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Lowlander2010 wrote:Yes very very good... it's all the little touches like the effect the commissar's has on the red troops, the effects of the new HQ units on subordinate corps/armies and the new requisition system that make thius game a classic..

Well done Agoed :)

I wouldn't have done so much for RUS if I haven't had this exact feeling the first time I loaded the beta game. Sorry if It is viewed as shameless autopromotion, but RUS scenario and system design, graphical work, historical research ( just think each armored train has its own real name!), and music is certainly a lesson in computer wargaming field. It's not sheer compilation of data, but subtle use of a great game engine to create the right features to give us this incredible feeling of being part of the real thing. It's a fun game and it's more than a fun game, a succesful way to teach about one of the most important event of the XXth Century. Amazing indeed.

Now, there are yet some bugs :neener:
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

This game is amazing!

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Florent wrote:I agree here. Very good IA. :thumbsup:
But the map, counters art (infantry, artillery, tanks...) are also awesome. The level of detail, diversity for the uniforms and weapons is fantastic. A terrific immersion as well as gigantic theater of war. Beautifull songs.
All is Epic. I will have to watch Dr Jivago again soon !!
Very few big issues for now. ;)

I agree, everything you have mentioned makes the immersion wonderful.

Clovis, I am so happy you are taking part in PON. I am just stunned by how good the AI is. I just completed a Finnish campaign as the Finns. I thought I was winning easily. Until I ran into the three surprises the AI had waiting for me, which resulted in a humiliating defeat for my deluded Finns. I cannot remember when I have had a similar experience in a computer game.

Alexor
Lieutenant

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:07 pm

vaalen wrote:I agree, everything you have mentioned makes the immersion wonderful.

Clovis, I am so happy you are taking part in PON. I am just stunned by how good the AI is. I just completed a Finnish campaign as the Finns. I thought I was winning easily. Until I ran into the three surprises the AI had waiting for me, which resulted in a humiliating defeat for my deluded Finns. I cannot remember when I have had a similar experience in a computer game.

Exact same experience for me here with the Finns, very nasty surprise and shock to be so outplayed by an AI...

Clovis

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Alexor wrote:Exact same experience for me here with the Finns, very nasty surprise and shock to be so outplayed by an AI...

With more experience, you will beat the AI, it's not deep blue, unfortunatly. But to be frank, when testing, I'm myself sometimes surprised by some AI moves :mdr:
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Kev_uk
Colonel

Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:20 pm

I concur on all points. Great job Clovis. Thank you.

FatalMad
Private

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:45 am

Just want to say... that I'm finding RUS as an excellent wargaming experience.

I never knew the Russian Civil War was this massive and this much fun.

Way to go guys :thumbsup:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:19 am

FatalMad wrote:I never knew the Russian Civil War was this massive and this much fun.

It could be even more, with adding treacheries (think about eating disguised with enemy staff, and kill them at the end of the meal, etc), sideswitching (leader and troops in same unit could be of different sides), and tactfully integrated pogroms in gameplay (made by IA, and then used by treacheries to try remove ennemy international support).
My game (far from finished, if it will be) is more complex with this, but far less detailed in the military (but with keeping the symbols, as tatchanka and armored train).

marcusjm
Colonel

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:29 pm

But then it wouldn't be a wargame anymore. A serious wargame needs to focus on the strategies and nothing else, also at being accurate from a war standpoint. Leave roleplaying stuff to other games.

I have yet to try the demo but once I get time over I will give this a real test, I am really happy that the Finnish Civil War scenario is worthwhile though.

J P Falcon
Private

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:16 pm

I have been holding off buying it because I wanted to see how stable the game is, and from what I have been reading, with a few minor exceptions, everything seems to be going well...Does anyone know when the first patch will be coming out, as I'll purchase the updated game then...thanks

gpepper

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks guys !
These kind of words are what we worked for !
Satisfying you and doing the best game we could !
Thanks for your support !

We could improve it again !
[CENTER]. : G P E P P E R : .
[url]http://www.gillespfeiffer.com[/URL]
[url]http://www.frenchschoolofcg.com[/URL][/align]

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:13 pm

fatalmad wrote:just want to say... That i'm finding rus as an excellent wargaming experience.

I never knew the russian civil war was this massive and this much fun.

Way to go guys :thumbsup:

+1

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:06 pm

In my humble opinion it's the best AGE title and the best strategy game about the Russian Revolution to date.

And GPepper, I was never one to mince my words about the graphics in certain previous titles (NCP) but with this one you have definitely raised up to and sometimes beyond the level in Sandras last games. Comparing the graphics to ACW and BoA is a close call, but I like the less cartoonish graphics in RUS, which fit the seriousness of the theme better.

Alexor
Lieutenant

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:21 pm

I think I can say that this is one of the best wargames I've played ever. And I've been playing for about 25 years !
I know the Russian Civil War history almost by heart (I'm a grand-son of a White Army officer) and I take a lot of pleasure seeing that you've been able to recreate that incredibly complicated conflict.
And I can't wait for the patches and the mods to come :dada: !!

Bravo les mecs!!

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Alexor wrote:(I'm a grand-son of a White Army officer)

That is cool. Will you mod him in?

Alexor
Lieutenant

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:30 pm

Well, that would be weird (he was only a 21 years old junior cavalry captain so he wouldn't qualify for his own unit :) )...it's already weird enough to "play" the Whites...
In terms of lack of supply I can tell you that it was a reality. I have many stories about that.
One thing by the way which really killed a LOT of soldiers was typhus (he himself almost died of it).

Kev_uk
Colonel

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Alexor wrote:Well, that would be weird (he was only a 21 years old junior cavalry captain so he wouldn't qualify for his own unit :) )...it's already weird enough to "play" the Whites...
In terms of lack of supply I can tell you that it was a reality. I have many stories about that.
One thing by the way which really killed a LOT of soldiers was typhus (he himself almost died of it).

Thats fascinating, it must feel like living out real history for you. I was reading about the typhus epidemic - also affected Red cities too, and if you look at the old photographs you see a lot of the Communist forces having shaved heads - main reason to stop the typhus and lice. Probably the same for the white cadre too.

Clovis

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Kev_uk wrote:Thats fascinating, it must feel like living out real history for you. I was reading about the typhus epidemic - also affected Red cities too, and if you look at the old photographs you see a lot of the Communist forces having shaved heads - main reason to stop the typhus and lice. Probably the same for the white cadre too.

We would want to represent this in RUS; for now, we prefer to squash the bugs and evaluate further balance before introducing such a feature.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Kev_uk
Colonel

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Clovis wrote:We would want to represent this in RUS; for now, we prefer to squash the bugs and evaluate further balance before introducing such a feature.

Haha! Perhaps all RUS players should go for the shaved head look? No? :mdr:

Alexor
Lieutenant

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:09 am

Kev_uk wrote:Thats fascinating, it must feel like living out real history for you. I was reading about the typhus epidemic - also affected Red cities too, and if you look at the old photographs you see a lot of the Communist forces having shaved heads - main reason to stop the typhus and lice. Probably the same for the white cadre too.

You think ?! The only photo I have of him from the civil war is with completely shaved head too.
He was telling stories of soldiers or officers shaving their head and you could see the hair moving on the floor with so many lice in it!
Talking about attrition....

Василеостровск
Sergeant

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:29 am

Alexor wrote:You think ?! The only photo I have of him from the civil war is with completely shaved head too.
He was telling stories of soldiers or officers shaving their head and you could see the hair moving on the floor with so many lice in it!
Talking about attrition....

I am happy you have photo and knew him. My relatives from this time I have almost no knowledge of fate. My grandfather and his parents ordered to move Ukraine to Leningrad in the 20th. Everyone else that survive civil war, no idea what happen to them in 30th or in 2 World War. I live in same apartment they live in though, where much of family survived Leningrad siege. My grandmother said that my grandfather family had all kinds of things somehow they brought from Ukraine about civil war - gazzetta, jurnals, propaganda, but unfortunately during winter 1941-42 it was all burned for heat. :(
Россия, Украина, Белоруссия - Племён славянских три богатыря
Russia, Ukraine, Belarus - The Slavic tribes' three knights

Andriko
Corporal

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:06 pm

I have to agree with the general opinion, this is AGEOD's best game to date, and also the most accesible and easy to pick up. I was also over the moon to discover it works on my out of date pc without any problems! I bet this game is kick ass on PBEM!

J P Falcon wrote:I have been holding off buying it because I wanted to see how stable the game is, and from what I have been reading, with a few minor exceptions, everything seems to be going well...Does anyone know when the first patch will be coming out, as I'll purchase the updated game then...thanks

I find I get random CTD's, but the auto save is a big help here, and they are not that bad compared to some games I have played. For a version 1.00, the guys did a great job, I don't think anyone has released such a workable version out of the box for years.

Василеостровск
Sergeant

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Andriko wrote:I have to agree with the general opinion, this is AGEOD's best game to date, and also the most accesible and easy to pick up. I was also over the moon to discover it works on my out of date pc without any problems! I bet this game is kick ass on PBEM!

I find I get random CTD's, but the auto save is a big help here, and they are not that bad compared to some games I have played. For a version 1.00, the guys did a great job, I don't think anyone has released such a workable version out of the box for years.

I agree with everything you have stated. And the support regarding the bugs found has been great also.

Franciscus

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Yes, this game is surely going to be a classic.
I just barely played through the tutorials and the Finnish campaign, but it's really great. The map and the graphics overall are probably the best ever in Ageod's history so far. I think they give a true feeling about the period. :thumbsup:

What's more, as I had/have only a superficial knowledge about RCW, now I just bought Orlando Fige's "A People's tragedy", as per the game devs recommendations - a great book, in more than one sense of the word ;) .

That's what I love in Ageod, they make games that entertain me a lot, they teach me History and they feed my "other" addiction" - reading about History.

Kev_uk
Colonel

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Franciscus wrote:Yes, this game is surely going to be a classic.
I just barely played through the tutorials and the Finish campaign, but it's really great. The map and the graphics overall are probably the best ever in Ageod's history so far. I think they give a true feeling about the period. :thumbsup:

What's more, as I had/have only a superficial knowledge about RCW, now I just bough Orlando Fige's "A People's tragedy", as per the author's recommendations - a great book, in more than one sense of the word ;) .

That's what love with Ageod, they make games that entertain me a lot, they teach me History and they feed my "other" addiction" - reading about History.

Its brilliant! It is more or less living history on the PC..seriously when a game invokes Trotsky, Lenin and the White leaders and pulls it off extremely well then it is game that will last and be respected for this, mainly because there has been NO other game like it. Kudos to AGEOD.

Василеостровск
Sergeant

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Kev_uk wrote:Its brilliant! It is more or less living history on the PC..seriously when a game invokes Trotsky, Lenin and the White leaders and pulls it off extremely well then it is game that will last and be respected for this, mainly because there has been NO other game like it. Kudos to AGEOD.

I like that RUS was made with this engine, I think it is the best engine for it. It shows how much potential the engine has.

Xornox
Civilian

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:47 pm

I have played now two scenarios, Icy march and Finnish civil war as whites.

The game teaches interesting history and the way how you build up your forces in those scenarios makes it easy to get in the game. Scenarios were very fun to play.

I just hope that AI would be better (who would not?). It was surprisingly easy to beat reds although I have been usually quite poor player.

Other Ageod games have been tougher to win? Perhaps the campaign is different case or have I finally understood how these games work :)

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”