James D Burns

Cohesion recovery, an exercise in frustration

Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:44 pm

I’m playing the campaign as Southern White, and I am growing increasingly frustrated by the inability to recover cohesion or draw replacements with my units. At least six months have gone by since a large 3 engagement battle was fought and I’ve had my army sitting in Rostov with both green buttons selected for rest and recovery, and the army is still just about as bad off as the day it entered the city. Heck my allies the Northern Whites have never even left their home city due to not ever recovering cohesion or losses.

I can understand it taking a month or so for an army to recover from a large battle, but this is ridiculous. I’ll be lucky to recover half my lost cohesion after a year and forget ever drawing a single replacement. I’ve got almost 200 conscripts, but no way to buy replacement chits to help rebuild my army, why on earth did AGEOD take that wonderful feature from AACW out of the game?

I should note that units do occasionally get a cohesion increase or reduce some red in their elements, but that is a very rare occurrence, far too rare to be an accurate simulation of rebuilding armies. Just as an example, OB West was all but destroyed when it retreated from Normandy in Aug-Sep 44, yet it was totally rebuilt from scratch and launched a massive offensive against the allies in Dec 44, just three months later.

Now it’s a very rare occurrence for armies to be obliterated the way OB West was, so most armies should only need a month or two at the most to recover from fights, and that would be just the big ones, most small fights shouldn’t even take a month to recuperate from.

So please take a look at tweaking the cohesion and replacement routines, what we have now just leads me to hit the off button after sitting through months and months of frustrating non-recovery, only to see another winter arrive and the looming prospect of losing even more cohesion to bad weather.

Jim

Cat Lord

Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:56 pm

James D Burns wrote:I can understand it taking a month or so for an army to recover from a large battle, but this is ridiculous. I’ll be lucky to recover half my lost cohesion after a year and forget ever drawing a single replacement. I’ve got almost 200 conscripts, but no way to buy replacement chits to help rebuild my army, why on earth did AGEOD take that wonderful feature from AACW out of the game?
:confused:

As per the manual, you can buy replacement chit in the F2 page of the ledger, in the bottom right panel of this ledger page.

As for cohesion, I found it was working properly as well. :confused: I generally let a weary army in passive posture for a turn inside (important) a structure, and they recover all their cohesion.

Could you post a screenshot please ?

Cat
[CENTER]
Image[/CENTER]

James D Burns

Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:21 pm

My bad on the chits, I had clicked on one or two of the symbols and didn’t see any result, so I assumed it was a non-interactive info only page. Typical failure to RTFM on my part, sorry about that.

Here’s two screenshots. The first is one of the army stacks that have been sitting inside the city since early or late January (it's late June now). The second is for the Allied Northern Whites, they’ve never left their city because they have not recovered cohesion yet. They’ve slowly eked up a bit, but as you can see it’s pretty abysmal since they’ve done nothing all game.

I should note the blue button for defense on the Rostov army is something the AI did on its own. I change it back to green/green every time I check on the armies in Rostov, I have no idea why it resets to blue/green, perhaps an AI recon mission flown over the hex or something caused it?

Jim

Anazagar
Lieutenant

Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Cohesion is the purple bar (and on both screens it's maxed out). The green one is average troop strenght of a Brigade/unit - you recover it by having a unit in a region with a depot and having available replacement chits.

Ebbingford

Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Looks to me like your cohesion is at max but it is the strength bar that is low, the units need replacements. ;)

(Hover your mouse over each of the two bars ;) )

James D Burns

Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:33 pm

Ebbingford wrote:Looks to me like your cohesion is at max but it is the strength bar that is low, the units need replacements. ;)

(Hover your mouse over each of the two bars ;) )

D'oh! ... slinks away quietly. lol :bonk:

Alexor
Lieutenant

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:43 am

Now, that was funny... :thumbsup:

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”