lodilefty

Hotfix for AI Dates

Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Extract into \ROP directory, you'll get a "overwrite" message for folder \Events, then for 5 files.

This is a cleaner fix, as burying AI enhancements inside an event file intended ONLY to deal with AI use of Options is what started the confusion....

:)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:If it's not referenced, would it be easier to just copy paste/blend the corrected/reworked events contained in the PrussianAI.sct file into the ROP Options AI.sct file (deleting the incorrect date syntax events of the same event name) which is properly referenced? Then all you have to replace is that single already properly referenced corrected file... i.e. the ROP Options AI.sct file.

Lodilefty:

Using the above idea, I'm gonna work on a "temporarily" corrected ROP Options AI.sct file while you work on an "official" DB correct version which would include a reworked ROP Options AI.sct file in whatever manner you choose to correct it "officially". I think I can "whip" this temporary fix out pretty quick while you do it up the correct way and then you can overwrite this single "Temporary Fixed" file with your "official" Database corrected "HotFix".

Too late! :D

RoP needs a Coordinator! Any volunteers? :cool:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:46 pm

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:55 pm

deleted

Franciscus

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:02 pm

You guys lost me a couple of posts ago... :bonk: :wacko:

If you could enlighten me as to why I have no errors, although I apparently have installed the (really) latest beta 7 ? Should I even so apply the hotfix ??

[SIZE="1"]And what about a more prosaic problem: how about the battle animation red-green wheel ??[/size] ;)

Pocus, help ! :mdr:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:10 pm

deleted

lodilefty

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Might I politely point out that your Hotfix ONLY corrects the 56-63 Campaign and does not fix the other Campaigns that also referenced the AI routines in the ROP Options AI.sct file...

That, incidentally, is why I thought it would be easier to just correct the AI routines where they were already referenced.

AFAIK, Onlly the 56 Campaign is supposed to get the AI stuff.

I'm waiting for now to hear from the author, and then will either change the rest or hand it over to someone who appears to want to coordinate this :)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Franciscus wrote:You guys lost me a couple of posts ago... :bonk: :wacko:

If you could enlighten me as to why I have no errors, although I apparently have installed the (really) latest beta 7 ? Should I even so apply the hotfix ??

[SIZE="1"]And what about a more prosaic problem: how about the battle animation red-green wheel ??[/size] ;)

Please apply the hotfix, else the errors will occur in all campaigns...
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:35 pm

deleted

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:14 pm

I am in turn 30 as Austria in long campaign against AI Prussia. I havent got any error or abnormal situation in the game. What is this error about or hotfix? Lost in translation or thought.. :blink: :D

EDIT: Thank you Lodilefty :) you are helpfull as always. I will apply hotfix.

lodilefty

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Baris wrote:I am in turn 30 as Austria in long campaign against AI Prussia. I havent got any error or abnormal situation in the game. What is this error about or hotfix? Lost in translation or thought.. :blink: :D

Some installations retained a preliinary version of the new AI events that caused a series of event errors due to incorrect Date formats...

Not sure which/when version introduced it... :confused:

To be safe, you should apply the HotFix to beta rc7, as I had to....
...it doesn't change anything other than referencing the corrected event files :)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Narwhal

Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:09 pm

On the beta with the Hotfix - I played as Austria. There were two "Capitulation of Saxony event", one turn 2, one turn 3. I checked - both created new troops for Prussia

Edit : OK. It is the same for all events - so it is probably only me else other people would have noticed. I suppose it comes from using the fix when the game was working :)

Franciscus

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:58 am

Franciscus wrote:(...)

My apologies, I was wrong :bonk:

If I turn error logging on, I do get the errors reported by Ebbingford, related to AI and dates with 1.03b7 :( . I was simply not seeing them because I do not usually play with error log on (I am not a beta, anyway... ;) )

I also checked and the battle animation is there in 1.02 but got lost somehow in the 1.03 patches..

If I may, I would give 2 suggestions:

- Current script errors in the latest beta patch seem to be related to the AI. As it was, IIRC, Clovis who made the latest AI files, maybe he should come in and try to solve this mess.
- The current state of RoP is not a good showcase of what Ageod is capable of. I understand that PoN development is probably occupying 110% of Pocus &co time, but an effort should be made to clear things up and finalize a good 1.03. As it stands now, RoP seems like a buggy game played by a handful of perplexed people. That's not good PR for Ageod or for PoN.

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:27 am

deleted

lodilefty

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:49 am

Franciscus wrote:<snip>
If I may, I would give 2 suggestions:

- Current script errors in the latest beta patch seem to be related to the AI. As it was, IIRC, Clovis who made the latest AI files, maybe he should come in and try to solve this mess.
- The current state of RoP is not a good showcase of what Ageod is capable of. I understand that PoN development is probably occupying 110% of Pocus &co time, but an effort should be made to clear things up and finalize a good 1.03. As it stands now, RoP seems like a buggy game played by a handful of perplexed people. That's not good PR for Ageod or for PoN.

Regards

Yes, everyone, including Clovis, are very busy with PoN, AACW patch, WIA patch, NCP patch, RoP patch, helpline and maybe even other new things that I don't know about....

I've been communicating privately with Pocus and Clovis on this date script bug, so that they can focus on other things. The hotfix I uploaded fixes the Date script errors. Apply it. After all, Gray and I spent most of today hunting and squashing the bug.

If you don't want Gray and me to try to fix these things, that's OK. I can stay plenty busy supporting WIA, RUS, PoN and just leave RoP in search of Coordinator. I'm sure Gray can stay busy where he's appreciated too.

You're welcome.
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:45 am

deleted

Franciscus

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:03 am

Lodi are you offended ??
I know this is a beta patch, and I know what it is. I have been around for a few years, in case you do not remember.
And I know all of you guys are all voluntaries, which, although extremely comendable, do not make any of you hollier than any one else. You do it because you want it. If it is an unbearable chore, stop doing it.
I am very grateful to everybody involved in the development and support of these games, that's beside the point.
What I was trying to convey is that precisely this a public beta patch, a process that's being going on for more than 5 months, to correct a previous official patch that has problems. It is unfortunate that the level of support that Ageod had back in AACW glory days is impossible to have here, apparently. I know that Rop is nowhere near as popular as AACW, but I would think that Ageod would not mind if it was. As it is, it looks more like a desert and I think the reason is not just the relatively unpopular time period of the game...
Anyway, if I offended you, my apologies. From now on, I will become more careful and less active in the forums. It's a pity that others have already made the same decision before.

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:26 am

deleted

Clovis

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:55 am

Hi,

indeed the trouble came from the inclusion of one provisional file I posted on the forum some months ago to speed up AI testing. Thanks to Lodi and others, the problem is now just history... Next tiem, i will just cease to upload provisional files. AI testing will be longer.

I didn't reacted in the last days, first because of my day job, secondly because of RUS work, and last because I was sighlty sick and tired. in any case, I will yet work in the future on ROP AI, because it's just an AGEOD tradition to patch old games, and even commercially unsuccesful games ;) . Sometimes, the paucity of AGEOD ressources will create such a temporary mess. It would be for the short term much more rewarding to keep these few ressources only to new projects as we wouldn't have to write too long on unessential facts, but a tradition of excellence has at last the big advantage to give for myself the feeling we're doing right for the gaming pleasure of ALL.

Sorry for the unconvience and again, thanks for ALL who helped to solve this point.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Gray_Lensman

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:21 am

deleted

Clovis

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:33 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Clovis:

Might I inquire as to whether there are source .xls files for your AI files for ROP?

No, I'm not leading into an old topic, but inquiring as to the need to create them if they don't already exist. I did this for some of my own private use concerning some SVF event files. I don't want to perform duplicate work if such files already exist however.

Hi, the sources are in the hands of Ageod :) but in any case I upload them here.
Attachments
ROP_AI_events.zip
(124.37 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Gray_Lensman

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:41 am

deleted

Ebbingford

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:46 am

This weather pattern doesn't look right, snow for all the low terrain and rain for the surrounding mountains. Shouldn't the mountains and hills have snow as well?

Attachments
ROP 2010-10-09 08-34-13-40.jpg

Clovis

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:55 am

Franciscus wrote:Lodi are you offended ??
I know this is a beta patch, and I know what it is. I have been around for a few years, in case you do not remember.
And I know all of you guys are all voluntaries, which, although extremely comendable, do not make any of you hollier than any one else. You do it because you want it. If it is an unbearable chore, stop doing it.
I am very grateful to everybody involved in the development and support of these games, that's beside the point.
What I was trying to convey is that precisely this a public beta patch, a process that's being going on for more than 5 months, to correct a previous official patch that has problems. It is unfortunate that the level of support that Ageod had back in AACW glory days is impossible to have here, apparently. I know that Rop is nowhere near as popular as AACW, but I would think that Ageod would not mind if it was. As it is, it looks more like a desert and I think the reason is not just the relatively unpopular time period of the game...
Anyway, if I offended you, my apologies. From now on, I will become more careful and less active in the forums. It's a pity that others have already made the same decision before.

Regards

Franciscus,
AACW has had its bad moments too, remember some messes with the 1.12 or 1.13 beta version.

Beta or not, a patch is a patch. Playing a game under a beta patch or an official is just the same. Sorry if you think 5 months is a long period. I lnow some games published by Matrix have had beta patch for almost 2 years...In any case, I've myself been forced to shelf any efforts on AACW because of ROP , now RUS is forcing me to leave ROP field for a few weeks. All I may say is I will get back to these 2 games as soon as possible.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

lodilefty

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:It should be noted that even though it's frustrating to have to wait several months for an effective patch, other much larger and for sure, well staffed companies, have been known to take more than a year to even put out a single patch and then they abandon the game altogether when they move on to new projects.

Creative Arts, and to a smaller extent Firaxis are good examples. In fact some companies are so cheap as to put out a game and NEVER patch it. Let's all have a little patience (myself included) and we'll eventually be rewarded. :)

Sent from my Droid X using Swype.

..or charge you for a patch, brazenly calling it an "expansion" or "add-on" :(

Franciscus: No offense taken. I get tired, frustrated, and grumpy....
...like most retired BOF's :wacko:
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:50 am

Actually I was surprised by hearing ROP is not good or "mess".

It should be the result of misguidance of the last pages written..
"Long posts" main point were Date's. It is fixed.

In the last beta cavalry charges were also balanced and the retreat logic. ROP has some speciality not only because of the violin in the background :) . Troops, scale of battle, leaders and the atmosphere and feeling of the game.

Lodilefty is always helpfull and Clovis trying to help the AI. So everything is in place. not to worry.

Charles
Lieutenant

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 pm

I can understand Franciscus' frustation, but that is the nature of BETA patch testing. The programmer makes some fixes and the testers try to see if there are any unforeseen consequences. Many companies keep this process internal and only release final pattches. Here the process is open so you have access to patches more quickly, but you have to accept the limitations.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Essential and natural part of BETA patches should be "feedback" from the players. With the proper feedback(save game) problems in the game can be corrected easily and faster.

Quick conclusions about what is broken or not doesnt help much without proper demonstration of the problem. If there is a conclusion(also there must be some effort made for testing) by someone then must prepare the argument against the objector. :)

FritzKraut
Conscript

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:41 pm

hi guys, i just played a 56 campaign until 58 and the russians have withdrawn all their forces back home and refuse to take part in this war.

the french also havent done much but russia didnt even conquer königsberg.

i have withdrawn all my east prussian troops as soon as i could and the russia
laid siege on the city in 57 until the winter starts.

i use the latest beta patch without the new ai events by clovis.

i have also noticed some graphic gliches which werent there in the previous patch.
sometimes a unit is displayed on the map as if it was in an adjacent province. however in the ledger it shows up correctly.

i would have attached the save game but somebody has to tell which file it is, if i pack the whole savegame or backup folder it is way to big for an attachment :bonk:

Clovis

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:10 pm

FritzKraut wrote:hi guys, i just played a 56 campaign until 58 and the russians have withdrawn all their forces back home and refuse to take part in this war.

the french also havent done much but russia didnt even conquer königsberg.

i have withdrawn all my east prussian troops as soon as i could and the russia
laid siege on the city in 57 until the winter starts.

i use the latest beta patch without the new ai events by clovis.

i have also noticed some graphic gliches which werent there in the previous patch.
sometimes a unit is displayed on the map as if it was in an adjacent province. however in the ledger it shows up correctly.

i would have attached the save game but somebody has to tell which file it is, if i pack the whole savegame or backup folder it is way to big for an attachment :bonk:

there's in the ROP/scripts directory a file named scriptreport. If you could upload it with the last turn, I could look for AI...In any case, if I've understood well , Riussian failed to capture Koenigsberg before winter 57, and since have retreated to Russia...There's maybe a glitch in regional value which wouldn't been reinitialized rightly in my events...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Return to “Help to improve RoP”