caranorn

mountain terrain

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:03 pm

I just had a very odd situation in a game against the ai that made me consider mountain terrain...

No sane commander would in the 18th century have marched a complete column with artillery and baggage across mountains, avoiding passes and roads...

So, would it be possible to deny access to mountains that are neither pass or road to wheeled units (artillery and supply)? That would still allow small forces, especially raiders to go through such rough territory, but not complete armies and major columnsand forces...
Marc aka Caran...

lodilefty

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 pm

caranorn wrote:I just had a very odd situation in a game against the ai that made me consider mountain terrain...

No sane commander would in the 18th century have marched a complete column with artillery and baggage across mountains, avoiding passes and roads...

So, would it be possible to deny access to mountains that are neither pass or road to wheeled units (artillery and supply)? That would still allow small forces, especially raiders to go through such rough territory, but not complete armies and major columnsand forces...

Actually, only Ranger, Lite Infantry and Light Cav can move in Mountains in the two more severe winter conditions. (Gale, Storm aka Frozen, Blizzard in WIA)

So, you want to block the Wheeled in all weather? {Artillery, Supply}
What about Heavy Horse? Heavy Foot? Medium Cav/Foot?

Yes it's possible. :w00t:
We just need a design decision ;) :D

Interestingly, Ranger, LiteFoot and LiteHorse can also move through "Impassible Mountains", at a slower rate than "Mountain"
Pitons and Ropes for your Horse, Sir? :blink:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

PhilThib

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:44 pm

This is already the case...mountain without road/passes are called "impassable mountains" ;)

lodilefty

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 pm

PhilThib wrote:This is already the case...mountain without road/passes are called "impassable mountains" ;)

I think the proposal is to limit wheeled things in all mountains, but let foot travel go through in good weather....
.... or we missed some Mountain regions that should be Impassible.... :blink:

I see a potetial problem for Athena, as we would create an 'unsupplied' mess for coulmns leaving supply wagons behind ....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

PhilThib

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:57 am

As you say, much too dangerous in terms of gameplay... what we have now is enough: mountains are open to all (except in harsh weather) when there are roads/passes in them... the other mountains without roads / passes are called "impassable mountain" and are accessible only to light foot / light horses units :cool:

caranorn

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 am

Okay, though I thought it would actually prevent Athena from doing something really stupid. That is moving entire columns through those mountains to then starve on the other side once their wagon supplies run out. Then again, in good weather the supplies will last longer and the ai forces can survive to achieve something...

And yes, I had noticed that in blizzard weather light troops can move across. Was also pretty happy about that as that allowed my cavalry screen to return home and not winter and die on the other side of a mountain range ;-) ...
Marc aka Caran...

Return to “Help to improve RoP”