Narwhal

Narwhal (PRU) vs Baris (AUS) GC - for beginners / people not knowing the game

Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:49 am

Heya, people.

Hi there, Baris :)

I started an AAR of a PBEM game of a Grand Campaign I am playing against Baris. It is aimed at people never having played the game.

I plan to post with a lag of 5 - 6 turns compared to the play itself (more if needed), and to be heavy on screenshots.

It is on the Paradox Forum, as I suppose I can convert more people to "AGEODism" there. Please comment there. If you cannot (not account there), please say which "Part" you are commenting on :) if you comment here )

Baris - try to be one page late when reading. You can comment, of course :)

PhilThib

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Excellent job....and very interesting. Thanks a lot! :thumbsup: :coeurs: :cool:

Narwhal

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:35 am

shameless bump, but more importantly - any way to change the title into something like

"Link to a Rise of Prussia PBEM on Paradox Forum" ? This way, people seeing only one answer would still open the thread and not assume the AAR is stillborn.

Thanks

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Then another bump from me Narwhal :)
Pbem game , Narwhal and I playing will be a long one maybe a month or more depends on the progress of the battles. Everyone are welcome to comment or read the AAR in paradox forums. It is very well written and covers the strategies ,concepts about playing Rise of Prussia. There is very few AAR's about this game but this one should be very satisfying to read especially for new players.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?513080-Learning-from-Prussia-a-Rise-of-Prussia-AAR-against-a-real-player-for-beginners

OneArmedMexican
General

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:36 am

Here you have another bump. It is well deserved. This is the best AAR for RoP I have come across. It is well written (straight to the point and well focused). And it offers excellent explanation of AGE game mechanics. A must read for anybody interested in RoP.

Great work, Narwhal. :thumbsup:

I read through it today. Here are some comments (I am not registered at Paradox):

[INDENT]I didn't think it was possible to hold Königsberg against the initial Russian onslaught. Impressive. After the AI kicked me out twice, I never tried that again.

It seems Baris survived his winter retreat after the Königsberg defeat relatively unscathed. How did he do that? And why didn't he try again the next year?

It's strange how most AAR writers like to take gambles and tend to be overactive. We all seem to ignore the golden rule of AGE games: play it like McClellan and you win, play like Hood and you get crushed. ;) In other words: when it's doubtful whether a move will get you an advantage, don't move (and win cohesion and entrenchment). At least that is what I used to think, your AAR is starting to convince me that playing the Prussians restless activity might be the better strategy.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I really had a hard laugh when I came to the part where you lost three of your army commanders within two turns. That was so much bad luck, it was almost a tragic comedy. Seems it really is a bad idea to leave the HQ stack depleted. Learned yet another thing.

I like your strategy in 1758: Concentrate your forces against one foe and trade space for time everywhere else. It paid off beautifully for you in Saxony.

But if I had to make a wager, I would still bet on Baris. Interior lines and better commanders can't beat numbers indefinitively.
[/INDENT]

Narwhal

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:21 am

Thank you for your nice comment !

I didn't think it was possible to hold Königsberg against the initial Russian onslaught. Impressive. After the AI kicked me out twice, I never tried that again.

Actually, given there is always the same number of Russians attacking, you can pretty much reproduce it. The key is to put the good person in charge, i.e. little bro, the only available Prussian leader with the Master of Defense strait, and good stats all around. Also add as much fixed guns as you can - they are really critical.

It seems Baris survived his winter retreat after the Königsberg defeat relatively unscathed. How did he do that? And why didn't he try again the next year?

Actually, he did not. I believe he had huge losses. In any case, I believe if he had seriously attacked me the following year, he could have kicked me out. He did not, even though he had nothing better to do with the Russian (he probably minded the NM).

It's strange how most AAR writers like to take gambles and tend to be overactive. We all seem to ignore the golden rule of AGE games: play it like McClellan and you win, play like Hood and you get crushed. In other words: when it's doubtful whether a move will get you an advantage, don't move (and win cohesion and entrenchment). At least that is what I used to think, your AAR is starting to convince me that playing the Prussians restless activity might be the better strategy.

As the Prussian against a player who is going to be systematic in his attacks, you have to be mobile, if only to shift troops from one front to the other.
After the failure to take Prag, I knew I would not win without taking risk. I came very, very close to disaster at the very end of 1759. My whole army could have been cut from its supply sources, and anniliated.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I really had a hard laugh when I came to the part where you lost three of your army commanders within two turns. That was so much bad luck, it was almost a tragic comedy. Seems it really is a bad idea to leave the HQ stack depleted. Learned yet another thing.

That was an horrible surprise for me. I am never going to put commander on their own now. I ll use the "Garde du Corps".

I like your strategy in 1758: Concentrate your forces against one foe and trade space for time everywhere else. It paid off beautifully for you in Saxony.

It gets better :)

But if I had to make a wager, I would still bet on Baris. Interior lines and better commanders can't beat numbers indefinitively.

Well, if you read until the end of the AAR as written for now, Baris does not have the "number" for him any more.

Narwhal

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:05 pm

Just to say that the AAR, after a small hiatus, is finished. I believe it is the only AAR that goes until the "end" of a game. At leastthe only one with 5 - 10 pictures a turn :)

Matto
Colonel

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks a lot for writing it !!! Very helpful and interesting ... :thumbsup:
Napoleon days in Austerlitz 2011 - photo gallery
My Czech pages agout AGEOD: AGEOD games, RoP AAR - Prussian side
My AGEOD games: WoN, TYW, EAW, CW2, AJE, PoN, NCP, ROP Gold, RUS Gold and BOA2

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:43 pm

No necro intentions here. I had been looking at buying RoP and came across this absolutely superb AAR. Suffice to say, it convinced me to purchase the game so many thanks are in order to Narwhal (and Baris!) for the tight narrative, descriptive insights and attention to the details.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:23 am

Thank you Random.
I hope you enjoy ROP overall,
Regards.

Gferreq
Corporal

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:05 pm

GREAT AAR!!!,I readed It today and I couldnt stop ,even with the release of BOR!!!

Narwhal

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Hello,

Thank you Matto

Thank you Random - did you find the game to be at your taste, finally ?

And thank you as well Gferreq. I have not tried BOR yet :)

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:04 am

Narwhal wrote:Hello,
Thank you Random - did you find the game to be at your taste, finally ?

Very much thank you but unfortunately I have not as yet been able to devote the time to ROP that it deserves. I get in a turn here and there but it has caused me to read up on the era and so appreciate the design better.

A glut of quality and fascinating games plus real-life stuff means none of them really get the warranted attention, however, one should never complain about having too much of a good thing.

-C

Narwhal

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:57 am

For everyone information, due to the risk of Paradox closing the AGEOD AAR section of their forum, I am transfering my AARs, including the AAR subject of this thread, on AGEOD's forum.

Return to “RoP: Rise of Prussia AARs”