homet
Corporal

Odd File Exchange Problem

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:16 am

I'm currently host for a 4 player ROP Gold game. During the first seven turns, everything appeared to work fine. During this last turn, I've noticed a problem with the ORD files I've received from a couple of the players.

Each player sends his ORD file back to me differently. One player sends the file as an uncompressed text file. One player sends the file as a compressed file in a rar format. The third player sends the file as a compressed file in a zip format. When I uncompressed the two compressed ORD files and tried to load the game, I noticed that only two of the players showed the "paper clip" symbol next to their files instead of all four in the game load window. The two files without the symbol were associated with the compressed files. All the ORD files can be opened with a text editor. I don't know enough to say if they are corrupted in some fashion. When I load the files that don't have the paper clip symbols next to them, I can see armies, but no movement orders.

I asked both players to resend their ORD files. The second time the zip file produced the appropriate ORD file that contained the paper clip and movement orders. I noted that the two uncompressed zip files were slightly different in size. The resent rar file did not work and both uncompressed rar files were the same size.

Has anyone seen this odd type of behavior before? Note that I'm involved in several games with the player that sent the rar file and have never had a problem before. I'm having him send an uncompressed version of his ORD file to see what happens. Does anyone have any other thought about what I might try to understand the problem?

Durk

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:43 am

homet wrote:I'm currently host for a 4 player ROP Gold game. During the first seven turns, everything appeared to work fine. During this last turn, I've noticed a problem with the ORD files I've received from a couple of the players.

Each player sends his ORD file back to me differently. One player sends the file as an uncompressed text file. One player sends the file as a compressed file in a rar format. The third player sends the file as a compressed file in a zip format. When I uncompressed the two compressed ORD files and tried to load the game, I noticed that only two of the players showed the "paper clip" symbol next to their files instead of all four in the game load window. The two files without the symbol were associated with the compressed files. All the ORD files can be opened with a text editor. I don't know enough to say if they are corrupted in some fashion. When I load the files that don't have the paper clip symbols next to them, I can see armies, but no movement orders.

I asked both players to resend their ORD files. The second time the zip file produced the appropriate ORD file that contained the paper clip and movement orders. I noted that the two uncompressed zip files were slightly different in size. The resent rar file did not work and both uncompressed rar files were the same size.

Has anyone seen this odd type of behavior before? Note that I'm involved in several games with the player that sent the rar file and have never had a problem before. I'm having him send an uncompressed version of his ORD file to see what happens. Does anyone have any other thought about what I might try to understand the problem?

I was in a four player game where we had exactly the same sort of situation. The problem is that game files not compressed do get corrupted. Once we finally figured this out, with lots of help from kind friends, we got it going.
It does not matter what file protocol is used: rar, zip or dropbox (no need to compress in dropbox exchange) all three work.
But raw files do get corrupted. As a member of the game reported, just want to make certain every remembers to compress files.

Return to “ROP Technical support / Aide technique”