keeveek
Conscript

How to speed up a game a little?

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Calculating turns takes about 2 minutes on my machine. With Birth of America it's much more faster (i know it's less complex than ROP)

My specs:
Intel Dual Core 1,8 GHz
3 GB RAM
Ati Radeon x1350

How to adjust the game to run faster? (i didn't check the option "give AI more time" and editor setting)

Pocus

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:21 pm

For the bigger scenarios there is not much you can do, except if you want to uncheck 'use all AI behaviors' that is. This will significantly speed up the AI thinking, but will significantly dumb her too.

That's a surprise for ROP, because unit number is not that high.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

keeveek
Conscript

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:24 pm

OKay... So this is just for Rise of Prussia? Other games with AGEOD runs better?

Because i want to buy Revolution Under Siege when it comes a little bit cheaper. And American Civil War.

Ok... So i will be more patient. I don't want to make AI dumber :)

Pocus

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Not exactly, the others games can routinely take 90 seconds to process the AI turn, but this is expected and bearable for a decent AI. I won't disparage bigger companies, but well... when I play some games like this one where you build cities that ought to stand the test of time ;) the AI turns take longer, even if the military system is much more simpler :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Nikel

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:51 pm

keeveek wrote:Calculating turns takes about 2 minutes on my machine. With Birth of America it's much more faster (i know it's less complex than ROP)

My specs:
Intel Dual Core 1,8 GHz
3 GB RAM
Ati Radeon x1350

How to adjust the game to run faster? (i didn't check the option "give AI more time" and editor setting)

Just in case, is it a laptop with power options?

keeveek
Conscript

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:56 pm

It is a laptop, but it's constantly plugged into AC socket

Nikel

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Even so, you can modify the power options and set to power saving will be slower

keeveek
Conscript

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Yeah, i'm using notebook hardware control for power saving matter but it's set to Maximum Performance, so i don't think that's the case.

Thank you for your answers gentleman. I think ill settle up new manner of gaming for me -> i'll be reading books and playing the same time :D

Nikel

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:01 pm

OK :)

Somebody said in the Matrix forum regarding the new monster game WitE :D

I am playing the AI in the 1944 Scenario.

It appears that the Soviet AI turns take sometimes as long as 1.5 hours to execute in this scenario

Yes, the russians had a huge army in 1944 ;)

keeveek
Conscript

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Sorry, what is WitE? Never heard of that game :w00t:

keeveek
Conscript

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:07 am

And you say 1,5 hrs to count up a single turn?

It seems unplayable for me :)

Franciscus

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:58 am

Nikel wrote:OK :)

Somebody said in the Matrix forum regarding the new monster game WitE :D

I am playing the AI in the 1944 Scenario.

It appears that the Soviet AI turns take sometimes as long as 1.5 hours to execute in this scenario

Yes, the russians had a huge army in 1944 ;)

...1,5 hours per AI turn...???? :blink: :blink: :blink:

:mdr: :mdr: :mdr: :mdr:

Pocus

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:17 pm

That would be less that the time I take when playing such monster games. I remember some involved Dominions III PBEM were I had to spend 2 evenings per turn just to be sure I got the most juice from my empire.

Now, my time allotment on games slightly diminished. That must be why I tried lately Armaggedon Empires, an excellent indy game.

keeveek
Conscript

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Pocus, you're the lead developer. My humble opinion is like this: NEVER get your games too complicated (as WITE) because they will just become unplayable... :P

Pocus

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:45 pm

Aaah, we know that, but sometime we want the best, and it has a cost :)

WITP you mean? Or is it War in the East? It seems much more playable than his elder brother. I'm already hearing the sirens chanting that it is awesome and that I should grab it... Perhaps I should order earplugs for Christmas to resist the temptation?

I genuinely wonder what will be the next move of Gary Grigsby. Perhaps an unified WW2 game, that would have such a scope that even Hearts of Iron III would appears like a simple game, a kind of computerized version of the Europa boardgame serie. Frankenstein monster anyone?

keeveek
Conscript

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:28 pm

By complication i mean making waiting time to calculate turns longer ;) Of course if you manage to do very complex but also very fast calculations without high CPU usage it would be great (but it seems impossible)

I just don't think there are many ppl who want to wait 5-10 mins to make moves again and wait another 5-10 minutes ;)

Nikel

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Pocus wrote:I genuinely wonder what will be the next move of Gary Grigsby. Perhaps an unified WW2 game, that would have such a scope that even Hearts of Iron III would appears like a simple game, a kind of computerized version of the Europa boardgame serie. Frankenstein monster anyone?

Joel Billings post ;)

We are thinking of doing a War in the West 1943-45 game, using the same scale as WitE. We then hope to link the two games together somehow. Eventually we'd also like to do a North Africa game, and link everything together. Add France 40 and you're getting close to War in Europe.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:41 pm

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:45 pm

deleted

keeveek
Conscript

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:59 pm

I can't understand why. Because most the time you don't play :) And it's not chess where you may chat with your opponent...

Franciscus

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:04 am

As regards time, it's true that I can easily spend 30 minutes plotting a turn in one of my games, but I expect the AI to be faster. I think it's natural, we expect computers to be fast, and it's boring to wait for long staring at a screen. Ageod's games are great at this, the AI turns are really fast, even in the thick of the AACW full campaign, and that's one of the many great things about this company's games. :thumbsup:

Pocus wrote:
WITP you mean? Or is it War in the East? It seems much more playable than his elder brother. I'm already hearing the sirens chanting that it is awesome and that I should grab it... Perhaps I should order earplugs for Christmas to resist the temptation?

I must confess that I am also hearing those sirens... and the completely true argument that I possess more good/great games than time to play them all until the end of my life unfortunately serves for nothing, because, I confess, I am also really a "collector" of games :wacko:

But the price of WiTE seems too much... If it were in the <= 50 euro mark I would probably do not hesitate...(on the other hand, I could have in my hands a monster game and a beautiful printed manual... :neener: :wacko :)

Nevertheless I admit, if instead of the eastern campaign they had released a North Africa campaign game I would not hesitate, even at that high price... ;)

Return to “ROP Technical support / Aide technique”