bbriley
Lieutenant

No game folder is created under Saves

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:55 am

Hi,

I am starting a pbem game. I followed the manual's instructions by starting a game (the short "1756 Invasion of Sachsen" game) and gave it a title.

I did not issue any orders yet (as per the game manual) but saved it and exited. When I saved the game, a tool tip said that I had in fact saved that game under a folder with the game's name - but after I exited the game, I checked in the game directory under ROP\Saves\ and, contrary to what the tool tip told me, no such folder had been created, much less the TRN files or any ORD file.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit version.

Am I doing something wrong? I have patched the game to version 1.02 as of some weeks ago.

Thanks for any help here!
BobR in New Mexico, USA
--
"Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." This is our function, our challenge, our fulfillment - and our inheritance, to accept and to share.

bbriley
Lieutenant

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:13 am

I got this instruction from another thread (remember, I have Windows 7, 32-bit):
5. Reinstall AACW, but change the default directory box to read "C:\AGEOD\Rise of Prussia" [or any hard drive you wish]
6. Download the latest patch
7. Extract the patch file and run it [it should automatically go to the "C:\AGEOD\Rise of Prussia" location]
8. Run RoP

I followed the above instruction exactly - and now the game automatically creates a new folder under Saves\ when I start a new game and give it the name I want. Hooray! I believe that AGEOD should add that installation instruction as a part of the "readme.txt" or something - Better - make the installation default be: C:\AGEOD\Rise of Prussia

What do you think? Que pensez-vous? Was denken Sie?
BobR in New Mexico, USA

--

"Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." This is our function, our challenge, our fulfillment - and our inheritance, to accept and to share.

Dale H
Private

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:08 pm

I think you are too mentally-challenged to take the Prussian side. Why don't we switch & you can take the Austrians? :wacko: :mdr:

Just kidding!!! :D

Glad you got your game issues resolved & are now up & running. :w00t:

On to Berlin. Achtung, mein Herr. :thumbsup:

MarkShot

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:57 pm

I have no technical assistance to offer ... although it does sound like Bob needs a 24/7 hot line number to Best Buy's Geek Squad! :)

Just want to say "Howdy" to the two of you. It's been a while.

bbriley
Lieutenant

Hi Mark!

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:45 pm

MarkShot wrote:I have no technical assistance to offer ... although it does sound like Bob needs a 24/7 hot line number to Best Buy's Geek Squad! :)

Just want to say "Howdy" to the two of you. It's been a while.

Hi Mark! Good to hear from you. I just sent you a private message. When we last wrote to one another, Napoleon's Campaign was just coming out after having been in beta, as I recall. I have liked this new Rise of Prussia as well. I think AGEOD sold it through Paradox in Sweden? I hope it does well, regardless of where it's being sold. I have so much respect for the AGEOD team, including you as the U.S. representative and business guru!

Do any serious reading lately?

Bob

Dale H
Private

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Cheers Mark,

Got a new rig recently. Bob & I are going to muddle our way through RoP. I want to strangle that nascent Prussian upstart in his grave. Now, just how to do that... :confused: :bonk:

Love the game! :coeurs:

Hope all is well with you. Good to hear from you.

MarkShot

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:55 am

I sent you two email.

I am currently reading "I am a Strange Loop" by Douglas R. Hofstadter. I find topics such as AI, developmental psych, and cognitive science fascinating.

I am convinced if Pocus just adds a few more lines of DELPHI to AGE that it will become self aware! :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0465030793

Narwhal

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:00 am

I add exactly the same problems as bbriley (no way to see the "Saves" file, even by showing the hidden files). I solved it the same way - so you may want to have a look into this to avoid people not coming on the forum being upset :wacko:

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:26 pm

The problem is with windows 7/vista but not with any ageod game. If you install rop/aacw as a subfolder of program files, microsoft, in all its wisdom, thinks this is not a good place to store saved games. So it moves them for you.

As posted above if you cannot find where windows keeps are saved games just install the game on your hard drive.. ie not inside program files
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Gray_Lensman

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:48 pm

deleted

Narwhal

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:02 pm

J'allais faire EXACTEMENT la même suggestion.

En ce qui me concerne, je n'ai pas pu envoyer plusieurs bug reports (dont un Crash to Desktop systématique vers le tour 50, ce qui est rageant) parce que je ne savais pas accéder à ma sauvegarde.

--

I was going to do EXACTLY the same suggestion.

As far as I am concerned, I could not send several bug reports (including a CTD I could reproduce at turn 50) because I could not find my savegame.

Edit as per next post.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:54 pm

deleted

bbriley
Lieutenant

Installation Path

Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:08 pm

W.Barksdale wrote:The problem is with windows 7/vista but not with any ageod game.

Since most people will have moved past Windows XP, then it really is an issue for AGEOD, in my opinion. As you know, several people including me believe that the default installation path should be changed so that it is NOT in C:\Program Files. This will help AGEOD's sales, in the long run.

If you install rop/aacw as a subfolder of program files, microsoft, in all its wisdom, thinks this is not a good place to store saved games. So it moves them for you.

As posted above if you cannot find where windows keeps are saved games just install the game on your hard drive.. ie not inside program files

Agreed - and so the default installation path should be changed by AGEOD, both for the convenience of the customers and for the sake of AGEOD's sales.
BobR in New Mexico, USA

--

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

All too true ..

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:53 pm

I suppose it looks like a straightforward fix. Hopefully will not take too much time away from AACW 2 :sourcil:
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."

-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Return to “ROP Technical support / Aide technique”