Farfarer2
Private

Saved Game Folder Vanishes

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:30 pm

when I patched to 1.02b my Save folder disappeared. I can still save and retrieve games, but the new folder is invisible in the file structure. The effect is that I cannot copy saved games to/from a laptop. I tried a fresh install and patch and had the same result - the folder disappears. Any ideas?
Farfarer

Carnium

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Farfarer2 wrote:when I patched to 1.02b my Save folder disappeared. I can still save and retrieve games, but the new folder is invisible in the file structure. The effect is that I cannot copy saved games to/from a laptop. I tried a fresh install and patch and had the same result - the folder disappears. Any ideas?

If I am not mistaken the save folder is deleted automatically by the patching process.
When you start your newly patched game again, the save folder will be automatically created.
Hope this helps.

lodilefty

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Sounds like Vista or Win 7

Try looking in your c:\Users\{your username}\Documents folder

Better yet:

Try the following:

1. De-activate your UAC [how-to at: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11621&highlight=disable+UAC ]
2. Uninstall the game
3. Use Explorer to find "Rise of Prussia" folder under Program Files.
4. Delete the "Rise of Prussia" Directory and all it contains [you will lose saved games]
5. Reinstall AACW, but change the default directory box to read "C:\AGEOD\Rise of Prussia" [or any hard drive you wish]
6. Download the latest patch
7. Extract the patch file and run it [it shoud automatically go to the "C:\AGEOD\Rise of Prussia" location]
8. Run RoP
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:32 pm

deleted

Farfarer2
Private

Glad im not wholly wrong

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:02 am

I created a "Saves" folder manually in the right directory and the game is obligingly populating it with Saved games. I have transferred game folders in/out with success. Quite interesting that a created folder took the place of an invisible folder without an error.
Farfarer

Gray_Lensman

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:54 am

deleted

Generalisimo

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Sorry Lodi...

The original poster is correct. All the RoP patches delete the .../ROP/Save/... folder (contents and all).

Apparently the Inno .iss setup file has an entry in the [InstallDelete] section for the Save folder. When you install any of the patches the folder is deleted and not recreated until the game is restarted since the patch does not have any files to place in it (nor a placeholder).

example [InstallDelete] entry from an AACW patch:

The RoP Inno setup file probably has a line like:

which should obviously be deleted to prevent the loss of saved games.

Well, each new official patch says clearly:
The patch is a comprehensive patch, meaning it can be applied directly over your initial game installation setup version.

[color="Red"]All saved games will be erased by the patch, as this version is not compatible with previously started games.[/color]

The problem is that the last line, is not included on Pocus's announcement on the last beta patch... :(
Maybe he just forgot to mention that...
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Gray_Lensman

Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:34 pm

deleted

Generalisimo

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:42 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:I believe Pocus stated that the saved games ARE compatible but you can't use the Replay or something to that extent. I myself loaded a previous version saved game (AACW v1.15) into an (AACW v1.16 b5) installation and it ran fine for testing. This part of the game engine is now the same for all AGE games.

It depends on the ammount of changes to the game... sometimes, you may be able to load the game, but you will never be able to process a turn (it happened to me with ROP).

Gray_Lensman wrote:They really need to fix the RoP game installer to NOT delete the .../Saves/... folder. Deleting saved games is NOT good for customer relations.

Well, they ARE warning about that "side effect"... buy yes, really, it could be an option (or removed directly) to avoid upseting players that didn't read that little sentence. ;) :thumbsup:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 pm

well i had a game with dear Longhairedlout and it was going really well but after updating to latest beta it was erased for both of us then we started again. But it must not be so much important to players that enjoy the game, as long as so many improvements made to the game. then why so serious says joker.. :)

Return to “ROP Technical support / Aide technique”