I am starting a ROP Gold QF 1.10 version PBEM as Prussians. I have Windows 8 and so does my opponent. However we cannot get off the ground due to mystifying problems with the way the game saves files and then you cannot find them.
Here is the sequence of events:
1. My Austrian opponent started things up and sent me the PRU TRN. I downloaded it and then put it in the "Saved" games folder of the main ROP file in C:/programfiles/RiseofPrussia/ROP. Then I did my turn and hit "save" to create the PRU ORD file to send him
2. However, when I went to the Saved games folder to get the PRU ORD, it was not there....only the PRU TRN
3. After sleuthing the AGEOD forums, I unhid the folders and found my PRU ORD in the previously hidden C:/users/name/appdata/local/virtualstore/programfiles(x86)/RiseofPrussia/ROP/Saves
4. I sent the PRU ORD to my opponent. He was able to run his turn and send me back a new PRU TRN. However, when I try and load the new turn, the game can't find any PRU TRN at all. I have tried pasting it into the regular saved games folder in C:/programfiles/RiseofPrussia/ROP/Saved. No dice. I have tried leaving it in the C:/users/name/appdata/local/virtualstore/programfiles(x86)/RiseofPrussia/ROP/Saves folder. Still no dice.
5. I messed around with User Controls to see if that was the problem. Initially, the PRU TRN seemed to be a blocked file; I unblocked it - still doesn't appear. I also went ahead and reset the ROP main application to run in Windows XP SP2 to see if that would help. No dice.
Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating. It seems ROP doesn't like Windows 8 and vice versa for some reason. Windows 8 has a way of squirreling away saved game files into hidden folders and also making it so that the game doesn't recognize its own saved games.
Anyone else having problems with PBEM files and Windows 8? Any suggestions or fixes? Thanks.