Jim-NC

Redeemer (USA) vs. Manstein (CSA)

Sat May 01, 2010 3:31 am

Let the battle commence.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 1

Sat May 01, 2010 4:05 am

Redeemer:
My general strategy is to keep the pressure on, but to maneuver my more numerous forces into positions to cut off CSA army's from supply and to build mobile forces for deep raids at CSA depots. This turn I mostly reorganized forces, very few moves. I build enough regular forces to flesh out the AoP with two full divisions per corps and purchases all cavalry currently available to me.

[ATTACH]11252[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11253[/ATTACH]

Manstein:
With the CSA side, my first objective will be save my armies. I will try hold my objective cities and my capital all the time that I can, but the most important concept is save the armies. Without armies, the objective cities will be conquered easily.

[ATTACH]11254[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11255[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11256[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man CSA turn 1 west orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 1 west 2 orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 1 east orders.JPG
Red USA turn 1 west 1 orders.JPG
Red USA turn 1 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 1 battles and Results

Sat May 01, 2010 4:06 am

3 minor battles. Savannah bombarded a fleet and hit for 50 points to 1.

Results:
[ATTACH]11257[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 1 results.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Campaign Note:

Mon May 03, 2010 2:26 am

As Redeemer and Manstein were giving me turn by turn orders/commentary, I am not posting as detailed a report about this set of campaigns as with the JDT/Johnnycai matchup.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 2 orders

Fri May 14, 2010 2:52 am

Redeemer:
Purchases; 5x2inf/1cav brigades, 8 sharpshooters, & 17 militia all in border states. Purchased 50 loco & 25 River transports. In the east I am going to try to hold all sea lodgements where they are. He seems to have the AoNV concentrated except for Longstreet at Fredricksburg. I am going to try a left wheel movement to get between him and Richmond. In the west, I am going to drive on chattanooga from two directions, Nashville and Corinth. I am attempting to get Grant over the MS and probe south with the MS Command of Ord's. Butler will advance towards TX. In the far west, I am trying to secure the supply line at the same time attacking fort smith. In all areas, reinforcements will be used to secure the rear areas. I can't see wheeler or forest!

[ATTACH]11430[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11431[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11432[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 2 west 2 orders.JPG
Red USA turn 2 west 1 orders.JPG
Red USA turn 2 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 2 orders continued

Fri May 14, 2010 2:56 am

Manstein:
The armies are being restructured. My requirements are:
-Arkansas detachment (Little Rock)= 1 division
-East Coast Defense (Charleston/Savannah)= 2 divisions
-Army of Northern Virginia (Richmond)= 16 divisions
-Army of Tennessee (Chattanooga/Atlanta)= 6 divisions
-Army of Mississippi (Vicksburg/Mobile/Atlanta)= 5 divisions

My intentions are to defend Vicksburg/Chattanooga/Richmond as long as I can, but saving my army, in order to avoid a morale surrender. The rebel positions have enormous problems with logistics, but I do not receive enough war supply to create enough trains for transport the food I have, but Redeemer will have the same problem.

[ATTACH]11433[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11434[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11435[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man CSA turn 2 west 2 orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 2 west 1 orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 2 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 2 battles and results

Fri May 14, 2010 2:57 am

There were 8 minor battles.

And the results:

[ATTACH]11436[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 2 results.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 3 orders (Late April)

Tue May 18, 2010 3:02 am

Redeemer:

Purchases - locomotives and 8 militia for rail protection. East - He moved back from my flanking movement and going to repeat the move this turn and work closer to Richmond. Starting movement from Norfolk and Ft Monroe to add fronts for him to defend. Bringing Cav forward some for anti-partisan duty, some for large raids. West. AofCumberland, advancing to Stevenson, AL where I will set up a depot and then withdraw most of the Army to another front. MS Command advancing a few regions and Grant still trying to get across the MS. Far West. Ft Smith taken, preparing for move on Little Rock. Butler just messing around in TX/LA

[ATTACH]11481[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11482[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11483[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 3 west 2 orders.JPG
Red USA turn 3 west 1 orders.JPG
Red USA turn 3 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 3 orders continued

Tue May 18, 2010 3:08 am

Manstein:

The Army of Potomac has tried to flank my Army of Northern Viriginia, throughout Charlottesville, Albermalle and Louisa, but I was able to retreat to better positions around Richmond and 1 detached cavalry brigade has blown my depot at Fredericksburg, because this position is undefensible.
Now, I have the Lee´s main Army at Richmond, with 4 divisions, Jackson's Corps at Buckingham, defending the Richmond left flank at the Pamunkey minor river, with 5 divisions and Stuart's Cavalry Corps at Heinrico, defending the south rail line to Richmond. Longstreet's Corps, with 4 divisions, is being moved to Richmond, as a substitute to the main army, which will defend the Heinrico point, because the Stuart Cavalry Corps will defend all the rail lines between Wilmington to Richmond. I know that I could not hold at Richmond very long, because I haven´t enough train points for transporting food to the front troops, but I will try to maintain Richmond for the greatest number of turns possible.

The Army of Tennessee is defending Chattanooga with 6 divisions, between the main Army, under Bragg's command, and Breckinridge's Corps. I hope that the poor meteorological conditions, the mountain plus the major river will help to my forces to maintain the trenches the greatest number of turns possible. I suppose that I will have some food problems at Chattanooga too, but I cannot avoid it.

Meanwhile, I´m maintaining the Vicksburg and the Port Hudson positions, because while my forces will be entrenched there, the Union Army under Grant command will not cross the Mississippi river. I have 5 divisions in these forces and I know that I could not maintain my positions very long, because the Mississippi Command, under Ord's command, is coming down from Memphis to Vicksburg, and I don't want my forces to be encircled, but I must gain some time before retreating from Mississipi to Mobile.

At Transmississippi Front, my forces at Ft.Smith burnt the depot and retreated to Little Rock by river transport. I hope that the Union forces at Arkansas suffer some logistical problems before he attacks Little Rock, because I only have 1 division there, with very few artillery, but I will not reinforce this force, because the Trnsmississippi Front only has the Little Rock objective and it is a isolated front, since the Union forces will cut the Mississippi once Vicksburg is conquered.

[ATTACH]11484[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11485[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11486[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man CSA turn 3 west 2 orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 3 west 1 orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 3 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 3 battles and results

Tue May 18, 2010 3:10 am

There were 6 minor and 1 major battles this turn. Vicksburg was able to bombard a union fleet and cause 50 hits, while being hit 0 in return.

[ATTACH]11487[/ATTACH]

And now the results:

[ATTACH]11488[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 3 results.JPG
Red USA turn 3 battle port hudson.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fastsnake
Major

Tue May 18, 2010 11:21 am

Your links are not working, unfortenately.

Jim-NC

Turn 4 Orders (Early May)

Wed May 19, 2010 12:51 am

Redeemer:

Purchases - locomotives, river transport & 12 militia. East. Continuing my left turn on Richmond, although dangerous, it is now a diversion for a cavalry strike at the depot in Garysburg by a corps under Pleasonton. If he goes on the offensive northward, it will hurt, but I have given the AoP orders to defend and retreat is attacked. Building a depot at Nelson, VA and should be able to form another corps of cav there soon. West - Grant is across the MS and will build a depot while follow corps expand the bridgehead. I am trying to trap the corps at Woods, LA if possible. Also building a depot at Jackson, AL for AoCumb, but that is really a diversion to hold the A of Tenn at Chattanooga. Building a depot at Pitt, MS as the MS Command continues to drift south and I have launched numerous small cav units into the interior to start ripping up rail lines. Far West is mostly static as I bring of reinforcements and build the depot at Smith, AR.

[ATTACH]11493[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11494[/ATTACH]

Manstein:

The Army of Potomac, with about 6.000 strength points, is positioned between Amherst and Louisa. My Army of Northern Virginia is entrenched at Richmond and adjacent zones with 14 divisions, totaling about 9,000 strength points. I hope that it has enough forces for defending Richmond some turns, because my problem is not only the food, it is the Union force at Norfolk and Suffolk, which can cut my lines south to Richmond, so, I suppose that I should create a strong detachment (about 3 divisions) to defend the way between Goldsboro and Richmond, because Stuart's Cav Corps will be weak for this task.

At Chattanooga, my force continue gaining new levels of trenches. I hope that 6 full divisions and splendid defensive conditions could stops the federal forces some turns.

At Vicksburg zone, the Grant's force (around 1,000 strength points) has crossed the Mississippi at Adams(MS), although McPherson's and Wallace's Corps are still at the other side of Mississippi river and Banks' Corps was hardly defeated when attacked my Gardner Corps at Port Hudson. My problem is that the Mississippi Command, under Ord's command, is still moving to the south and already it is at Grenada(MS), because Grant is between my Gardner Corps and my Army of Mississippi, under Johnston command, both collecting about 2,500 strength points, I could be isolated and surrender to the Grant force. But if I maintain my positions for very much time, Ord's force could isolate my Army of Mississippi, by conquering Meridian and Mobile and cutting my supply and retreat lines, so, I suppose that I could fight 2 or 3 turns maximum and afterward I should leave Vicksburg and save all my forces for continue fighting at Mobile and the Alabama river.

[ATTACH]11495[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11497[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man CSA turn 4 west 2 orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 4 west 1 orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 4 east orders.JPG
Red USA turn 4 west orders.JPG
Red USA turn 4 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 4 battles and results

Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 am

There were 8 minor, and 2 major battles this turn. There was a minor sea battle.

[ATTACH]11498[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11499[/ATTACH]

And now the results:

[ATTACH]11500[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 4 results.JPG
Red USA turn 4 battle natchez.JPG
Red USA turn 4 battle adams.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 5 orders

Thu May 20, 2010 3:11 am

Redeemer:

Purchases - Railroads, river transports, 2 riverine transports, 4 ocean transports, 6 militia and replacements. East. Hope to hold Garysburg long enough to destroy the depot and move pleasanton south to the next one at Goldsboro. AoP is stationary while waves of cav go out to rip up rail.. I hope to make him attack me, starve, or retreat. West - cav raids strike as deep as I can get them. Sherman probes for Jackson. Trying to get complete control of the MS. Far West. Bringing garrisions up and sending cav into indian territory, but the rest is stagnant, no supplies for a probe on Little Rock.

[ATTACH]11523[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11524[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11525[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 5 west orders 2.JPG
Red USA turn 5 west orders.JPG
Red USA turn 5 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 5 orders continued

Thu May 20, 2010 3:14 am

Manstein:

No comments received.

[ATTACH]11526[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11527[/ATTACH]

Editor's note: Stuart to Garysburg, Ewell to Petersburg. AOT hold. AOM retreat to Jackson MS. Gardner tries to move east to join AOM.
Attachments
Man CSA turn 5 west orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 5 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 5 battles and results

Thu May 20, 2010 3:16 am

There were 8 minor and 1 major battle. There was a minor sea battle.

[ATTACH]11528[/ATTACH]

And now the results:

[ATTACH]11529[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 5 results.JPG
Red USA turn 5 battle of Jackson.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 6 orders (Early June)

Sat May 22, 2010 1:23 am

Redeemer:

Purchases, river transport, a few replacements and one mixed brigade. East - Tightening ring around Richmond/Petersburg. Continueing deep cav raids and moving forces out of landings at beaufort and beaufort. He has to be hurting for supplies by now, he either has to attack out of Richmond or starve to death. West - raids raids raids, recovering from my attack on Jackson, having a go at Vicksburg now. Consolidating the rest. Far west - begining move towards little rock and consolidation.

[ATTACH]11555[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11556[/ATTACH]

Manstein:

No comments from Manstein this turn. Bragg will move to the Goldsboro Depot. Jackson, Stuart and Lee to Garysburg. Hardee to Atlanta. AOM retreat eastwards.

Political Options - Move Capital to Atlanta, Print Money
Purchases - 1 Support, 1 River Ship
Replacements - 5 Inf

[ATTACH]11557[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11558[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11559[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man CSA turn 6 west orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 6 west 2 orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 6 east orders.JPG
Red USA turn 6 west orders.JPG
Red USA turn 6 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 6 Battles and Results

Sat May 22, 2010 1:32 am

There were 10 minor and 3 major battles. There was 1 minor naval battle. Monroe bombarded for 42 hits, and received 0 in return.

[ATTACH]11560[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11561[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11562[/ATTACH]

And now for results. The union captured Vicksburg.

[ATTACH]11563[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 6 results.JPG
Red USa turn 6 battle of Sussex, VA.JPG
Red USA turn 6 battle of Goldsboro.JPG
Red USA turn 6 battle of Garysburg.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 7 Orders (Late June)

Sun May 23, 2010 3:43 am

Redeemer:

Purchases - 9 5 - element NY Brigades and 5 OH mixed brigades, 3 sharpshooter, 1 cav, 3 artillery, 2 ocean transports - East - I want to cut off the AoNV into pieces, hopefully they are so short of supplies they have no offensive capabilities. Continue to expand coastal landings. West - move over the river at Mason, AL for move on Chattanooga, supply line behind AofTenn should be well cut up. Want to take Jackson and prepare for move on Mobile. Far West - Little Rock will have to wait a few turns, but starting minor moves into TX.

[ATTACH]11584[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11585[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11586[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 7 west 2 orders.JPG
Red USA turn 7 west orders.JPG
Red USA turn 7 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 7 orders continued

Sun May 23, 2010 3:46 am

Manstein:

No comments. ANV retreats. AOT holds at Chattanooga/Atlanta. AOM holds at Meridian, Gardner to Mobile.

Political Option - POW exchange, Embargo Cotton
Purchases - 40 RR

[ATTACH]11587[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11588[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man CSA turn 7 west orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 7 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 7 battles and results

Sun May 23, 2010 3:48 am

There were 6 minor, and 1 major battles.

[ATTACH]11589[/ATTACH]

And now the results. Sedgewick's Union corps was destroyed this turn.

[ATTACH]11590[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 7 results.JPG
Red USA turn 7 battle of Garysburg.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 8 orders (late July)

Mon May 24, 2010 12:01 am

Redeemer:

Purhcase - rail and ships, replacements and 1 NY Brigade. Assualting Richmond, Petersburg and following the retreating AoP. Trying to move forces towards Mobile and preparing to assault Chatanooga.

[ATTACH]11618[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11619[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 8 west orders.JPG
Red USA turn 8 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 8 orders continued

Mon May 24, 2010 12:05 am

Manstein:

No commentary from Manstein. ANV moves south, with Bragg attacking Foster's corps. Polk attacks Stoneman's Corps. AOT attacks Sheridan and Wilder. AOM moves towards Mobile.

Purchases - 30 RR, 1 Support

[ATTACH]11620[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11621[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11622[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man CSA turn 8 west 2 orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 8 west orders.JPG
Man CSA turn 8 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 8 battles and results

Mon May 24, 2010 12:07 am

There were 13 minor and 1 major battles.

[ATTACH]11623[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11624[/ATTACH]

The union captured Richmond. And now the results:

[ATTACH]11625[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red USA turn 8 results.JPG
Red USA turn 8 battle of Richmond.JPG
Red USA turn 8 battle of New Berne NC.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Victory and Defeat

Mon May 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Redeemer has had to pull out of the tournament due to time constraints.

In his words:
"Hey Guys, I hate to do this, but I am going to have to bow out. It is in the middle of Little League Baseball season and I have three boys. I just don't have any time until the season is over in August. Manstein, when you are done with the tournament, I would love a full campaign rematch sometime."

So Manstein passes on to the final to face the winner of the JDT/Johnnycai match.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “2nd AACW PBEM Tournament (2009)”