Jim-NC

Jim-NC vs. Manstein (Round 3 - West Scenario)

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:34 am

I will be posting a short AAR on my game vs. Manstein. (I don't plan on giving anything away, but you never know). So onwards. I will be operating on a few turn delay. Now as to my overall goals/objectives. I plan to win. I have attached a view of the important CSA cities for this scenario.

[ATTACH]9457[/ATTACH]

As any good general will tell you, it is supply and production that keep you in the business of war. These cities all produce something. There are 10 that produce WS, and 7 that produce CS points. Lexington is kinda a lost cause for the CSA (as it is up in KY, and no troops around and all). But the others are important to the southern war machine (in this scenario).

PS - these screen shots are not from my current games, so I give nothing away on my strategy vs. Manstein by including them.
Attachments
Objectives for campaign.JPG
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Small (minor) problem

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:08 pm

Update:

I will have my hands really full, as I can not use the replay function as the CSA. This will cause me a lot of grief I can not afford during the tournament, especially against Manstein. It'll be like fighting with 1 eye closed, and 1 ear stopped up. OH well. :bonk: :bonk:

The best part is: I have the USA replay. Both games are being hosted by Redeemer, with the same settings.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

1st turn action

Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:00 am

I will post screen shots of major battles only. Onto information

[SIZE="5"]Confederates[/size]
Money - 5% bonds, Graduated Taxes, Printed Money
Recruits - Call for volunteers, Partial Mobilization

Purchases - 3 Artillery, 3 Sharpshooters, 4 Regular Bdes, 5 Militia, and 1 Calvary

Replacements - 4 Inf, 1 Arty, 1 Cav, 1 Militia

This turn, I reorganized my armies. The Army of the West will focus on defending Fayetteville. The Army of Mississippi (now 3 Corps) will focus on defending Memphis/Corinth Area (attacking Grant as the opportunity presents). 1 Calvary unit on deep Raid, and Forrest's Division will raid northwards. I need to get some troops to defend Chattanooga. Snows prevent major movement.

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]
Money - 5% Bonds, Exceptional Taxes
Recruits - Called for Volunteers w/$1000, Partial Mobilization

Purchases - 5 Regular Bdes, 14 Militia, 3 Calvary, 3 Artillery, 1 USMC, and 1 sharpshooter

Replacements - 4 Inf, 1 Arty, 2 Cav, 1 Skirm, 1 Militia, 1 Lt. Arty

This turn, I reorganized my armies. The Western Army will attempt to capture Fayetteville (destroying Van Dorn), The Army of the Ohio will focus on Eastern TN (capture of Chattanooga). The Army of the Tennessee will focus on Memphis/Corinth (and hold the AS Johnston static). The Mississippi command will take the river forts (ending at Vicksburg). Halleck will go to Madison AR. Snow everywhere will make the moves difficult to accomplish.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 2 Actions

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:39 am

Money - Print Money

Purchases - 1 Regular and 3 Sharpshooters

Replacements - 1 Calvary, 1 Artillery, and 1 Lt. Artillery

E.K. Smith will be sent to Chattanooga to defend this important point. Everything is quiet this turn. Waiting for Manstein to make his move. There is mud everywhere.

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]
Purchases - 1 Regular, 1 Artillery, and 4 Calvary

Replacements - 2 Calvary, 1 Supply

I am still moving into position. Mud everywhere. No battles yet. I am in a hole for points, and need to make them up. The union is the best way, but there is the dang mud. I risk a large cohesion loss by moving. I really need the mud to clear out on my union game (before it clears for Manstein).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 3 Actions

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Mud everywhere. Not much offensive actions at this time.

Replacements - 1 Cav

3 minor battles, some movement. Why is my opponent just sitting there with Grant's command?

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]
Purchases - 2 Regular

2 small battles, mostly Calvary skirmishing. I will attempt to hold, as I need to keep the VPs flowing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 4

Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:24 am

Well some action has started up. Still a lot of mud everywhere. I am losing the battle 138 to 86 (52 points). Manstein seems to be building up to something.

Purchases - 3 Calvary units

3 minor battles. I am still holding the objectives from turn 1. What is he waiting for? Must be the weather.

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]
Purchases - 1 Calvary, 1 Arty

1 minor battle. I will be starting my moves soon, I need to close that 50+ point gap. Still the weather is bad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 5 action

Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:43 pm

Butler's command has shown up for both sides. I am still losing by 47 points (204 to 157), but am closing the gap. The entire gap was made by my decisions during the 1st round (on taxes etc.) I put myself in the hole by approximately 50 points, I fear that this will sink me.

Purchases - 2 Militia
Replacements - 1 Skirmishers

2 minor battles, Butler has shown up. I have decided to not contest NO. I have moved my small force away from there, and towards Baton Rouge. My thoughts are: Butler will win, why give Manstein the extra points for destroying my troops?

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]
Purchase - 1 Militia
Replacements - 1 Arty

Butler is here. I will move his force to assault NO next round. It appears that Manstein will defend the town.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 6

Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:49 pm

I am still losing, now by 49 points (276-227).

[SIZE="5"]Confederate[/size]
Purchases - 1 Regular

5 Minor battles. I have lost Ft. St. Phillip, but captured Ft. Leavenworth. Manstein did not go for NO right away. I don't have the forces to do anything about it however.

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]
Replacements - 2 Calvary

1 minor battle. I have decided to envelope the CSA defenders by avoiding a large pitched battle over Memphis. I will strike around the edges (Chattanooga, Atlanta, etc). I will be going for VPs by cities.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 7 with Pictures!

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:24 am

Well, a little bit of action here in the game now. I am still losing, but have closed the gap a bit to 36 points (330 vs. 294).

Purchases - 2 Regular, 1 Arty
Replacements - 1 Inf, 1 Cav
I have printed money

Where did Manstein get such a huge army? There must be over 4,000 power under Grant's command. Gads. I have noticed that Wallace's Corps is alone, and I will try to destroy it (with my force defending Chattanooga). There were 6 minor battles. I hope I am entrenched deeply enough to stop that massive union force.

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]
Replacements - 2 Cav

I have captured Knoxville, and New Orleans. He attempted to defend it, but Butler was able to push that aside. There was 1 minor battle as well.

[ATTACH]9677[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn 7 vs. Manstein NO.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 8

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:36 am

Well, it is an interesting turn. I have significantly closed the point gap (it's now only 7. Huzzah!!!) He is leading 405 to 398 (but I am earning 71 points to his 61 points).

Purchases - 1 Calvary, 1 Irregular

2 Major battles (see picture below), and 4 minor battles. I have been spanked :( , and forced out of Corinth :( . My Army's position is compromised (he blew out the center entrenchment, and then pushed on, hitting me again). My only hope is to cause him supply problems, making Grant's position untenable. Therefore I attack. Also, I lost New Orleans (without much of a fight). The pictures are in reverse order from the fighting. I lost Madison first, then Corinth.

[ATTACH]9678[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9679[/ATTACH]

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]

Replacements - 2 Inf

Well I was able to capture Chattanooga (it was not really defended). I was also able to attack and destroy 3 of his ships by New Orleans. There were 3 small battles, and I was able to hold New Orleans against the counterattack from AS Johnston.
Attachments
Turn 8 vs. Manstein Mad.JPG
Turn 8 vs. Manstein Cor.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 9

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:12 am

Well, I am going to wrong way again. Manstein is leading by 50 points again. He has 530, and I have 480. I am leading in the points per turn (74 to 59), but he is kicking my but on unit destruction (he is killing a lot of Southern boys). I have learned a lesson here. My political options for this turn will be about not sacrificing any VP to my opponent. I am certain he will not be choosing any option that costs VPs, and so I can't afford the luxury either.

Political Options - Print Money, and call for Volunteers w/$1000 bounty
Purchases - 2 Militia
Replacements - 1 Elite Inf, 5 Inf, 3 Cav, 1 Lt. Arty

His army smashed my center, so I have a choice to make. I can either retreat across the board, or I can attempt to attack Manstein's disorganized units. I was able to capture Bowling Green, and Springfield. I have decided to attempt to destroy his depots to force him to retreat with his massive army under Grant. I hope I don't regret this. There were also 5 minor battles.

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]
Political Options - Print Money, Graduated Taxes, Call for Volunteers w/$1000 bounty
Purchases - 2 Regular, 4 Militia, 1 Cav, 1 Arty, 2 Support
Replacements - 3 Inf, 3 Cav

4 Minor battles, I have purchased the support units in Missouri (2 sets of supply wagons to rebuild depots Manstein burned). I lost Tucson (South West) somewhere in here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 10

Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:06 am

After a few difficulties caused by Redeemers computer malfuction/crash, here is turn 10.

Not a very good turn for me. This is the beginning of the end (ah but I get ahead of myself). I am barely winning, the gap is now 5 in my favor (546 to 541 points). I am earning 68 points per turn, and my opponent is earning 65 points). All I must do is avoid losing too many troops.

Replacements - 1 Cav

Well, my gamble failed. I was was attempting to have my enemy's army starve (it was so large). What I accomplished instead was to have my AOM get smashed, and I lost Memphis. I underestimated the size of his army and the way it could steamroller over me. I was forced onto the attack, and now am splattered all over the landscape, with the Corps out of position for support. Yuck. There were 5 small battles, and the loss at Memphis. As can be seen below, I lost a lot of troops during the battles.

[ATTACH]9822[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9821[/ATTACH]

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]

Purchases - 2 Arty

2 small battles here. I am attempting to take as many cities as possible, I want to drive into Georgia, and capture the state. I aim to starve my opponent's armies to death. The CSA has a huge army around Memphis, allowing me to take the most of the rest of the CSA at will.
Attachments
Turn 10 vs. Manstein Memphis.JPG
Turn 10 vs. Manstein Madison.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:10 am

I will continue the AAR shortly, but must admit, that I completely misunderstood the rules. In the first 2 rounds, it was the point total that mattered. In the 3rd round it was who won 1st (maybe it was that way the whole time, but was not mentioned). Anyways, I played the wrong strategy, as I was going for the most points possible, and not destroying my opponent and winning the game. Even at the end, it was still possible for me to win mathmatically. I was leading Manstein by 18 points a turn (as the USA), and could have gotten more points that he did by the end of the scenario. Had I known better, I would not have pursued the strategy I did. Such is life.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 11

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:17 am

Well no use hiding my strategy or goals now. Points are irrelevant, the fact that I was losing in the point battle, and was trying to make up the difference was irrelevant. It was who killed who faster. On to the turn.

Replacements - 3 Inf, 1 Arty, and 2 Cav

Disaster struck this round. Bragg's Corps is dead, the AOM is a shell of it's former self, I have nothing to hold my middle ground. There were 3 small battles as well. My opponent understood the correct way to win, and I did not. See the bloodyness below:

[ATTACH]9846[/ATTACH]

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]

Purchases - 3 Arty, and 1 Cav

I am attempting to attack the AOM defending Memphis. I need to get past it. There were 3 minor battles.
Attachments
Turn 11 vs. Manstein Hardeman.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 12

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:24 am

Suffice to say my opponent was leading in Victory Points. It was another bad turn for me as the Confederate side.

Replacements - 2 Inf

As you gaze below, you see the destruction of the AOM. I have 1 corps still running around (it will starve later), but there was a massive destruction. At the battle of Covington, the AOM was destroyed during the retreat (the battle report does not show it. Hardee's corps was also smashed, and is now trapped north of Humboldt.
[ATTACH]9847[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]9848[/ATTACH]

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]

Purchases - 2 Cav

I captured Memphis (yea!), but was unable to dislodge his large army (it is well dug in, and very large. See the battle results below.
[ATTACH]9849[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn 12 vs. Manstein Hardeman.JPG
Turn 12 vs. Manstein Graves.JPG
Turn 12 vs. Manstein Covington.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 13

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:00 pm

Well only 3 turns left in the conflict now. No pictures this round.

Replacements - 1 Inf

7 minor battles, and Hardee's Corps is still trapped north of Humboldt. No good way for him to retreat.

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]

Purchases - 1 Mil and 1 Cav

I have lost Memphis (it is a see-saw battle here). Manstein moved Bragg's Corps into Memphis, but was able to keep the trenches up by moving another Corps into it. I attempted to attack Corinth. My generals retreated before battle however.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 14

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:06 pm

Well, not much going right.

Replacements - 1 Inf

Complete disaster for me. I can only slow down his advance. There were 7 minor battles. Hardee is still trapped, and Vicksburg will fall soon enough.

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]

Replacements - 2 Inf

Manstein snuck into Nashville. Forrest's command/force killed my garrison. I was able to recapture Tucson (big deal). I was pushed back at Corinth. That 600% entrenchment is going to be tough to fight against.

[ATTACH]9855[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]9856[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn 14 vs. Manstein Nashville.JPG
Turn 14 vs. Manstein Corinth.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 15

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Replacements - 2 Inf and 1 Cav

I lost Vicksburg and Chattanooga this turn. There were 6 minor battles and 1 major. I must find a way to save Hardee's Corps, although it is almost dead. Where did he get so many troops? That is my question.
[ATTACH]9858[/ATTACH]

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]

Replacements - 1 Inf and 1 Arty

There is 1 major and 1 minor battle. I have captured all of Georgia, and am working my way to Montgomery. I have 2 corps and an army besieging Little Rock. I am still trying to dislodge the CSA army around Memphis. I was able to retake Nashville without a fight (his force has moved on to Bowling Greene). This is where my strategy failed. There is no way for me to get a NM victory at this point. If I take Little Rock and then Mobile, too much time will have passed, and I will not hit my threshold for victory. I can certainly win by points, but will never be able to hit my NM target. So to all who read, a word of advice. [SIZE="4"][color="Red"]Go for the win immediately, do not get sidetracked attempting to get points. Points only matter if you both win on the same turn.[/color][/size] As can be seen below, I suffered horrible casualties attempting to force the CSA's army out from around Memphis.

[ATTACH]9857[/ATTACH]
Attachments
turn 15 vs. Manstein Muhlenburg.JPG
turn 15 vs. Manstein Hardeman.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Defeat

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:24 pm

I lost this turn.

I lost Little Rock. This gave my opponent a NM of 156 (which was enough to win the game).

[ATTACH]9860[/ATTACH]

[SIZE="5"]Union[/size]

Not one of my 3 generals at Little Rock are active. So no assault this round. There were 7 minor and 1 major battles. That CSA army I was attempting to smash charged me, and smashed my army. Points wise, I could still win this match (I only need 20 extra points, plus the lead I already have). Those 20 points would be easy to get, as I could crush some outlying outpost, and kill some militia. But as per Daxil, since Manstein won on turn 16, as the USA, and I did not win as the USA on the same turn, the match is over.

[ATTACH]9861[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn 16 vs. Manstein Madison.JPG
Turn 16 vs. Manstein CSA lost.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zachary
Civilian

Jim NC vs Manstein Round 3 West Scenario

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:30 pm

FYI, per lurker feedback Ill be removing the forest from your gems and moving your wheat to first ring. Does that change your pick?

Return to “2nd AACW PBEM Tournament (2009)”