Which Scenario should we use for the first-round?

Bull Run
43%
Shiloh
38%
Gettysburg
No votes
Atlanta
19%

Total votes: 21
Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Help us choose the first round scenario

Mon May 11, 2009 5:54 pm

We've got 4 to choose from. Admittedly, I'm not experienced with any of them. From a chronological standpoint Bull Run makes the most sense to me, but I'm leading towards Bigus' 11 turn scenario because it offers players a chance to compete a little bit more - but I'm open to suggestions. Maybe one of them stands out head and shoulders above the rest. I'd appreciate input.

Just As a BTW, Far West, West, East, and GC will be the other scenarios.

-----------
Seeing the Elephant ( Bull Run 1861 Battle Scenario)

As commander Brig. Gen. Irving McDowell you have the opportunity to crush the Confederate army then march onto and capture Richmond to end the rebellion. Confederate commander Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and Brig. Gen. PGT Beuragard must defeat the Union Army and survive to fight another day. The result was a sweeping Confederate victory which inspired the federal government's renewed efforts and made the South overconfident.

1861 late July to 1861 early October, five turns.

The union player wins if he ends the scenario in sole control of Richmond or if he breaks the Confederate morale.
The Confederate player wins if he ends the scenario in sole control Washington or breaks the union morale.

Thoughts: looks good chronologically, but it's only five turns.

---------------------
Bloody April ( Shiloh 1862 Battle Scenario)

As Confederate Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston you have an opportunity to crush the Union Army of the Tennessee, under Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at Pittsburg Landing, for the army of the Ohio are Maj. Gen. Don Carlos Buell can join it. As union commanders, you must survive the attack and resume the offensive towards Corinth, Mississippi. The historical result was a close two day battle ending in a Union victory.
1862 early April through 1862 early August (8 turns)

the union player wins if he ends the scenario in sole control of Memphis or if he breaks the Confederate morale.
The Confederate player wins if he ends a scenario in sole control of Bowling Green or if he breaks the union morale.
Thoughts: this one looks a bit more balance. This isn't necessarily our objective because you're going to be playing both sides simultaneously. It still may be just a better scenario which case I might go with it, again just looking for input.
-----------------

Thunder at the Crossroads ( Gettysburg 1863 Battle Scenario)
As Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee with the Army of Northern Virginia, you must invade the North and win a decisive victory to force the union to a negotiated settlement to the war, or have the confederacy recognized by Britain and/or France. As Union Gen. George G. Meade with the Army of the Potomac, you must repulse the invasion of the north and destroy Lee's army. The result was a three-day bloody battle ending in the decisive Union victory.
1863 late June through 1863 early September ( five turns )
the union player wins if he ends his scenario in sole control of Gettysburg, or if he breaks the Confederate morale.
The Confederate player wins if he ends his scenario in sole control of Gettysburg or if you break Union morale.
Thoughts: probably another balanced scenario, but short.
---------------
Atlanta ( Georgia 1864 Battle Scenario)

as Union commander Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman, you must invade Central Georgia and take Atlanta, giving Lincoln and the Republican Party a major public relations win going into the autumn 1864 elections. As Confederate commander Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, you must defend Atlanta, and if possible even retake Chattanooga, thereby shattering Lincoln's reelection prospects and bolstering the South's chances for a negotiated peace.
1864 late April 1864 through 1864 early October ( 11 turns)
the North's objective is to take Atlanta Atlanta at all costs before the autumn 1864 elections.
The South's objective is to hold Atlanta, and if possible, even retake Chattanooga.
Thoughts: this one's supported by Bigus right now and would require us to to download his most recent update in addition to ensuring that were using the most recent patch ( 1.13B). At 11 turns it offers players a chance to compete a little bit more, and is a unique theater and probably well-balanced.
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Aphrodite Mae

I vote for Shiloh!

Mon May 11, 2009 11:08 pm

What great choices, Daxil! :)

I voted for Shiloh, because it's long enough to get things done but short enough so that we can move on to the next round, pretty quickly; and also because it seems pretty well balanced, so that either side can win.

GustFire
Sergeant

Bull Run!

Mon May 11, 2009 11:30 pm

I voted for Bull Run because.....

well, it's short and simple, like me. :blink:

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Vote.....

Tue May 12, 2009 2:04 am

I vote for the Georgia 1864 Battle Scenario because I like the scenario and the generals in it :)

Jim-NC

Tue May 12, 2009 2:52 am

Shiloh, It is the longest that we don't have to download something special for (nothing against Bigus or his scenarios.) Also, I think it is the most balanced.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Tue May 12, 2009 5:29 am

I will say Shiloh. The length seems good for a "elimination" round. Also, having played the first three, from both sides. I would say that Shiloh is pretty balanced, as far as possibilities of winning from either side.
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 12, 2009 7:47 pm

I vote for Atlanta!! HERE I AM!!! :p apy:

Dixicrat
General

Shiloh!

Wed May 13, 2009 6:36 pm

I voted for Shiloh because I do what I'm told, like a good husband should.

...I mean, because it's balanced and so forth. That's what I really meant.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed May 13, 2009 6:56 pm

I've decided on Shiloh due to the reasons other posters have listed. Mainly that it will give players three more turns to establish a score that will affect their seeding, but not so long that it will stretch out for weeks - we have to wait till the last score comes in before we can start round 2. Thanks for all the input!
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Jim-NC

Wed May 13, 2009 9:41 pm

Dixicrat wrote:I voted for Shiloh because I do what I'm told, like a good husband should.

...I mean, because it's balanced and so forth. That's what I really meant.

Your not fooling anyone Dixicrat with that explanation. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vegetius
General

Vote for Gettysburg

Thu May 14, 2009 1:44 pm

Good lenght for a deadly round, no time to lose :D !
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigus
General

Sat May 16, 2009 5:07 am

Jim-NC wrote:Shiloh, It is the longest that we don't have to download something special for (nothing against Bigus or his scenarios.) Also, I think it is the most balanced.

No offence taken.

I actually helped to improve this version of Shiloh. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than the original.

Jim-NC

Sat May 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Apparently I have only played your version (I have only been here just shy of 3 months).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “2nd AACW PBEM Tournament (2009)”