Jagger2013
General of the Army

Supply

Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Ok, I am looking at supply and want to make sure I have got it right. It appears that towns are producing supply units at a rate of 8 per city level, 4 per depot or harbor and 2 per fortification. However unlike most Ageod games, a supply unit appears to only produce 1 supply point instead of 5 supply points.

So it seems most cities don't produce enough supply to maintain larger armies. By themselves, most cities/towns can only supply smaller forces. However, there appears to be a strong push of supply into cities/towns which have more troops than can be supplied by the city itself. To get a push of supply into a city/town, the player must maintain at least one supply line with at least 51% military control to the greater world. The more supply lines the better. It also seems the supply push only goes three or four regions and bad weather/road/terrain types have a significant impact. Basically we need some type of supply structure or wagon every 2, 3 or 4 regions plus the 51% military control to ensure a push of supply to a larger army. And if we stop getting supply, something is effecting the supply chain.

So have I got the gist of the ROP supply system? If correct, I really like the importance and vulnerability of maintaining a supply line. I could see how it would make for some interesting operational maneuvering to cut or protect supply lines. Since by themselves most cities don't produce enough supply, armies are heavily dependent on that supply line chain to outside sources of supply. Definitely a major factor in the 2nd Silesian war with Saxony neutral.

Durk

Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:49 am

Two additions to your calculus. Loyalty changes production by the Loyalty plus %50. So at 100% loyalty, the supply produced is multiplied by 1.5. 12 in the instance of a level one city. National Morale has a smaller effect. Plus or minus 1% for every 2 NM above or below 100. But essentially you are correct, except that if you primarily draw supplies from 100% loyal areas, your supplies are 50% higher than your calculus. Which means, as you imply, as long as you have a chain back to the main cities of a nation, you have sufficient supply.

Wagons in all AGEOD games never produce supplies of any kind. What they do is draw supply from the region they are in and surrounding regions up to the limit of supply distribution. Depending upon weather, about three regions. They do appear to produce, but they only gather.

Excellent statement about the pushing of supply, yes. Three intervening regions is my rule of thumb for the chain of supply. While this does not suffice in winter, it is a good basis for establishing intermediate depots. Except for the Russians, fortress cities usually suffice to create this chain. Do not forget naval units which act as supply wagons for drawing supply.

Supply in ROP is a wonderful challenge. A supply chain is essential. Ammunition is a whole subset of a supply discussion, but you have a clear explanation of what is going on with supply.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Thanks Durk for the explanation. It looks like the best way to shift an enemy army out of their position is to park my army on their supply line.

Wagons in all AGEOD games never produce supplies of any kind. What they do is draw supply from the region they are in and surrounding regions up to the limit of supply distribution. Depending upon weather, about three regions. They do appear to produce, but they only gather.

What I noticed is that a supply wagon can form a part of the supply chain link. In a test game against the AI, I noticed supply was not crossing some mountains during some bad weather. So I parked a supply wagon between the two towns and the supply chain was re-established. A redoubt or supply depot would serve the same purpose and are better than using a supply wagon. But as a temporary stopgap, a supply wagon will work as a supply chain link and get the supply flowing again. That could be useful knowledge at some point in time...

Durk

Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:00 am

Interesting. I wonder if this is an artifact only available in ROP or true of all games.

Durk

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:38 am

So Jagger2013, I was wondering how the supply wagon situation might play out. I have not been able to replicate your solo wagon on the mountain trick. Can you elaborate?

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:04 am

Durk, I will doublecheck and see if I can duplicate it or if perhaps, something else was going on. I haven't had the chance to do any ROP the last couple days and it will be another day or two before I can. But I will let you know the results.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:21 pm

Ok Durk, here is a controlled test. I put a large army of two corps into Eger which you can see in the November image. Note Eger is out of the supply chain and supply stocks are dropping. (With the modded change to movement speeds, supply push is shorter than in regular ROP. But that change has no impact on whether a supply wagon can form a part of the supply chain.)

Then note in the second December image, I moved a supply wagon between Eger and Beyreuth. In the December image, supply stocks have surged in Eger indicating the supply chain is now complete.

To me, it appears Supply wagons are functioning as a part of the supply chain. I don't see any other logical explanation for the resumption of supply pushing into Eger after moving the wagon between Eger and Beyreuth. And if true, I don't have a problem with a stationary supply train acting as a part of the supply chain. To me, it would represent dedicating extra supply wagons to surge supply in certain regions. In some cases, a supply wagon might be the best solution and in other cases, a redoubt would make more sense.

BTW, has anyone modded the generic general portraits to give them eyes? They are kind of creepy without eyes.

Durk

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:23 am

My, I must try this in a game when in serious supply trouble, which I always am, thank you.

The leaders have been heavily modded. If you still find generic ones, find a portrait to mod, please.

Ebbingford

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:29 am

I don't see that Eger is out of the supply chain.......
In the top picture the tooltip for it says that it received 1159 supply and shipped on 1252.
In the bottom picture it received 1919 and shipped on 856.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Ebbingford wrote:I don't see that Eger is out of the supply chain.......
In the top picture the tooltip for it says that it received 1159 supply and shipped on 1252.
In the bottom picture it received 1919 and shipped on 856.

That is weird because supply was dropping for several turns previous to my moving the supply wagon between the towns. But you are right, the first photo shows supply coming in. I will have to look at it again.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:15 am

Ok, I think I figured out what is going on. Eger is in the supply chain but only received 1160 supply points a turn. Which wasn't enough supply for the two corps and supply stocks were dropping. In ROP, I believe supply is done twice a turn to a distance of 30 days. I strongly suspect that the 30 day distance is set by the distance a supply wagon can cover in 30 days. So in November, a supply wagon could reach Beyreuth w/i 30 days from Eger but not Nuremberg. So supply was pushed only from Beyreuth to Eger. Beyreuth is a much smaller supply source than Nuremberg. I suspect the size of the supply source plays a role in how much supply is pushed to the next distination.

When I moved the supply wagon to Hof, now the supply wagon was within 30 days of Nuremberg and within 30 days of Eger. And now we see an increase in supply from 1160 to 1920 supply points a turn. Which is enough to supply the two corps in Eger and build up a supply surplus. So it appears the supply wagon is serving as a node within the supply chain. It also appears that the supply wagon now allows two supply sources to push supply to Eger rather than the original one. I am wondering if the size of the supply source plays a role in how much supply reaches a destination.

Best explanation I can come up with.

Bernadotte
Lieutenant

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:41 am

See http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Supply#Supply_Distribution
"... is a distribution and repartition toward structures and supply wagon ..."

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:48 am

Well, there we go. And it answers some of the other questions as well. Good explanation of supply. Thanks!

Return to “Rise of Prussia”