User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Prussian setup anomalies

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:50 pm

In the Prussian setup of the 2-player grand campaign there are some anomalies in the command structure.

In two corpses - Links Kolumn in Bautzen and Markgraf Karl Korps in Dresden - the Korps commander also acts as Division commander, while a free junior 2-star general is present in both corpses.

I have some basic questions that were triggered by this strange command configuration:

- is this as designed?

- is there a disadvantage to the corps commander being a divisional commander at the same time. like losing bonuses?
If no, why isn't this used all the time to save on divisional commanders, if yes, why is it applied here?

- is there a disadvantage of keeping regiments out of divisions and having them in the corps separately, when there are enough command points available in the corps stack, like less effective fighting?

And an entirely different question:

- Why is the corps led by Wilhelm von Preussen called Markgraf Karl Korps?

User avatar
Kensai
Posts: 2702
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: Freiburg, Germany

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:53 pm

The only anomaly I see here is the plural of corps... unless you already consider those mean sacrificed! :p

Yes, a corps commander (essentially a 2-star General) can lead his own brigade. I don't think there are disadvantages to the corps units if he is attached to a brigade. The disadvantage of having loose regiments (not in a brigade under a General) is not having a potential advantage from that brigade (1-star) commander. Units (and their elements) without commander will fight at a disadvantage with movement penalties*. Regarding your last question, don't know, but I guess you can rename it.

*however, given that they don't suffer from the inactivation roll of their commanders, sometimes you might want them loose to at least be certain they will take an offensive action when required, even at a disadvantage.

--

Personally, I think I have spotted a small esthetic bug in v1.11. In the two early Silesian Wars the face of Friedrich does not appear. His face appears normally in the rest of scenarios. I suspect this happens because for the early campaigns it uses a different icon and somehow that has been lost from the linkage. Pocus could have a look!
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Kensai wrote:The only anomaly I see here is the plural of corps... unless you already consider those mean sacrificed! :p


:-) I vaguely suspected that it might be wrong when I wrote it.

In the light of your answers it is indeed not strange.

Kensai wrote:Yes, a corps commander (essentially a 2-star General) can lead his own brigade. I don't think there are disadvantages to the corps units if he is attached to a brigade.


Ah, I could have used that knowledge when I was short of generals in my previous games :bonk:

So why don't the setups of the other countries contain these constructs, then I would have discovered this feature before :w00t:

Is it different in AJE (or other non-corps AGEOD game) for a force leader?
I seem to remember the advice not to attach the force leader to a combat unit in AJE. Or has that been debunked?

Another related question:

- I got the impression that when a brigade is dissolved (for instance to faster recover lost elements) the brigadier seems to lose his brigade ability when he isn't immediately reused in another brigade. And when he is needed to form the brigade again after some turns, he can only do so when he is active. This has caused temporary disruption in my forces several times. Any advice on this aspect of the game? (maybe keep at least one regiment in the brigade?).

User avatar
loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:15 pm
Location: Caithness
Contact: Website Twitter

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Erik Springelkamp wrote:So why don't the setups of the other countries contain these constructs, then I would have discovered this feature before :w00t:

Is it different in AJE (or other non-corps AGEOD game) for a force leader?
I seem to remember the advice not to attach the force leader to a combat unit in AJE. Or has that been debunked?

Another related question:

- I got the impression that when a brigade is dissolved (for instance to faster recover lost elements) the brigadier seems to lose his brigade ability when he isn't immediately reused in another brigade. And when he is needed to form the brigade again after some turns, he can only do so when he is active. This has caused temporary disruption in my forces several times. Any advice on this aspect of the game? (maybe keep at least one regiment in the brigade?).


Actually in AJE (& PoN) its always a good idea to attach a combat unit direct to the leader - it ensures his personal characteristics are used. In RoP with the Prussians it doesn't really matter if your brigade leaders 'lose' their command activation, with the Austrians its a real pain to repair. So I tend to make sure they always keep one regiment under their direct command if I can.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

User avatar
Kensai
Posts: 2702
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: Freiburg, Germany

Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Another minor aesthetic issue in v1.11 is that the regional decision icons have disappeared. When you push the button to open up the selection tab, only the names (not the icons) appear. This is valid for all scenarios I tried.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:

Großdeutschland Mod

Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:

Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

User avatar
Narwhal
Posts: 792
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:13 pm
Location: Paris

Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 pm

Erik Springelkamp wrote:Is it different in AJE (or other non-corps AGEOD game) for a force leader?
I seem to remember the advice not to attach the force leader to a combat unit in AJE. Or has that been debunked?


As far as I know, same in RoP : A column leader with division attached won't give his bonus to his division if he leads the battle - a given leader can only gives his bonus once : either battle leader or division leader.
Not sure of what happens if the leader of a column has a division but is not "battle" leader.

Return to “Rise of Prussia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests