Jagger2013
General of the Army

ROP or RUS

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:16 am

I have almost finished Ala Jacta Est and have the itch for a new game. I am trying to decide between RUS or ROP. Both are interesting subjects for me. I am curious if any one that owns both games can help with my decision. Which has the more challenging and balanced scenarios? Are there major gameplay differences? I suspect RUS is more like ACW and perhaps more depth than ROP but not sure. Any thoughts about which of the two should be my next purchase?

Durk

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:13 am

To me, your question is kind of like "Which is better, ice cream with cake or frosting with cake."
Actually, both games have a player, Soviet and Frederic, in the center surrounded by hostile forces, so great choice of premises.
So I am telling you it is a matter of historical preference. Both games are excellent.
If I had to pick, I would buy both. Does that make me seem less than responsible?
RUS is more like ACW in that rail roads exist. Both are in depth. Only Wars in America (BoA2) is similar to the more simplistic AJE.

Narwhal

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 am

It really bogs down to historical difference, but I believe the game the closest to AJE is WiA2. Army composition, recruitment, "ressources" are VERY different in AJE vs ROP&RUS.

leftguard
Corporal

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:43 pm

I've not yet played RUS, but would certainly recommend RoP. Army organisation is more complex than in AJE, but there is a great tutorial system that takes you through the first few moves of the short introductory scenario. It doesn't teach you everything, but gives you plenty of information to get you started.

I was actually recommended to play RoP, as a way to get my head around PoN (which is way more complex again).

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks all! I bought ROP this morning. I know I will get RUS next but ROP was $20 vs $30 and ROP is a Gold version. In a few months when I finish off ROP, maybe RUS will be upgraded as well as Andapiet mentioned. In the meantime, I think I will also read Sholokov's "The Don flows to the Sea" again so I will be ready for RUS a few months down the line.

Now to check out ROP!

Return to “Rise of Prussia”