warrenpeace
Private

Is it possible to starve out Prague?

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:59 pm

As the Prussians, I besieged a very Large Austrian Army in Prague. After several weeks of no breaches and no apparent weakening of the Army I decided to see what was happening by opening the saved game files as the Austrian and going backwards in time. What I found was that the General supply in Prague was not decreasing with time. Actual numbers were:
Early May: 1225
Late May: 1311
Early June: 1215
Late June:1463
Early July: 1382

I am assuming that this is because Prague has a unblocked port and that somehow supplies are going through the port to the besieged city. Is this correct? Is there anyway to prevent this or is Prague inpregnable?

A simultaneous siege of Koniggratz had expected decreases in supply. I assume this is because of no port.
Early May: 638
Lat May: 543
Early June: 448
Late June: 397
Early July: 312

warrenpeace
Private

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Actually, upon more testing it seems to me that there is no consistent pattern with stores in besieged cities, whether or not they have a port. Despite being "besieged" stocks can go up or down. Basically, it seems impossble to starve someone out.

Narwhal

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm

I think supplies in ROP (sure) and RUS (maybe) is bugged (personal experiences) myself, but I reported many bugs already, so I stopped.

I got a full Swedish army to survive on the small island on the mouth of the Oder, with Stralsund and all the Northern cities in Prussian hands. I suspect that any province (city or not, port or not) next to any body of water where you can navigate receive supplies, with or without port.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:52 am

Yeah, I don't use siege tactics in any AGE game right now. It just doesn't work for the most part. Bring all the arty you can find, breach, and clear. My big problem with sieges is besieged units recovering hits while under siege (this is really bad in AJE, what with frequency of sieges and the generation of auto garrisons), or 1 small unit being outside the structure preventing a siege. It's usually harder to keep your sieging forces in supply than it is the enemies because they have a structure.

Durk

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:55 am

I have kind of seen both sides of this discussion. In general, fortresses with sea or river supply do not lose supply and do not surrender. However, with no sea outlet or a river or sea outlet with sufficient naval units to block the port, sieges work.
In my latest ROP game, I was besieged and in dire circumstances with no supply. Then, either:
1. The Russians used airplanes and dropped supply into Prague, or
2. The river opened and supply came from Sweden or France, or
3. The regions allowed supply through Prussian controlled, but not occupied regions.
Suddenly, my Austrians had full supply.
It is a bit odd, but may not be serious for game play.

Franciscus

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:42 am

Durk wrote:I have kind of seen both sides of this discussion. In general, fortresses with sea or river supply do not lose supply and do not surrender. However, with no sea outlet or a river or sea outlet with sufficient naval units to block the port, sieges work.
In my latest ROP game, I was besieged and in dire circumstances with no supply. Then, either:
1. The Russians used airplanes and dropped supply into Prague, or
2. The river opened and supply came from Sweden or France, or
3. The regions allowed supply through Prussian controlled, but not occupied regions.
Suddenly, my Austrians had full supply.
It is a bit odd, but may not be serious for game play.

There was a siege supply bug. It is corrected with the quickfix patch posted yesterday.

Regards

Return to “Rise of Prussia”