User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Beginners Questions

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Because AJE is coming, I am starting up RoP to try to get into the system once more (last time I gave up after the Saxony scenario because the complexity of the complete campaign).

I decided to start with the 1762-1764 campaign, because that one is the shortest, as Austrian player, because I hope it demands less from the player abilities.

(I suspect I am going to ask a lot of questions in this thread)

First I looked at the victory conditions, and here I am already at a loss:

Image

It tells me that I have 15 controlled strategic towns out of a total of 29:
I only count 13 controlled in that list and a total of 26.

It also says that I accumulate 25 points from cities each turn:
I count 11 points from the Controlled Objectives:
1 x 3 VP (5 NM), 3 x 2 VP (3 NM) and 2 x 1 VP (1 NM),
That leaves 14 controlled strategic towns to add up to 25 VP's, not 13 that I count or 15 that it says.

What am I missing here?

However, assuming it is correct, when I maintain the status quo, I will win the scenario, gaining 5 VP more than the Prussians per turn over 18 turns, starting with 25 VP less than them. Correct?

That means I can expect an offensive by the Prussians somewhere?

User avatar
lodilefty
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NY GMT -5 US Eastern

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Sadly, the ledger display cannot list all of the Stratefic towns.....

Trust me, the rest are there, just not in the display!
It is a rather significant effort to change either the list or the display, so no fix for now.....

...the math to calculate the totals is Pocusnian Logic, and The Master is away for a few days.....

The Prussians are led by Fred the Man, so expect something ;)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

User avatar
Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:29 pm

You also get 1 vp point per turn from strategic towns. That's where your missing VP is.

User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:You also get 1 vp point per turn from strategic towns. That's where your missing VP is.


No, I counted them.

User avatar
Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Oh, I see what you're saying now. There are 15 VP cities under your control, they just don't fit the list. I forget which cities don't show up but I've noticed them on the map before. I'm not sure why it's 25 per turn and not 26 though.

User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:39 am

So I played 3 turns.

Moved some forces into Southern Silesia, defended with Daun.

Moved the Imperial Army to Saxony because I thought I was weak there, and there are a lot of French forces more to the West.

Concentrated French forces North of Kassel.

Daun got hammered by Frederik, but after losing two battles he won the third and held his position.

The Imperials got hammered by Heinz, but they held their position as well.

My French attack in columns North of Kassel was repulsed because they failed to coordinate sufficiently.


Victory Conditions at the moment (not going well :-):

Image

Why are the Prussians getting 24 VP's from cities now, when they didn't capture any objectives or strategics?

How can I see how much VP's I lost in the battles?

User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Icons

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:52 pm

What do the little icons to the right of the counter below the command posture mean?

Image

The stack on the left has a lot of dots above ?a cross?

The stack on the right has a long bar below a short bar?

Image

And here only the purple (enemy) stack has such an icon.

User avatar
Philo32b
Captain
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 5:36 am

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:55 am

The icon in the second picture is a soldier with a rifle peering over the wall of an entrenchment--it signifies that the unit is entrenched.

Image

I can't tell what the icon with the red cross in the first picture is. Perhaps a special order governing that unit? Can you say anything about what is happening with that unit?

User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:55 am

That unit met an enemy stack, won a battle and seemed to have decided to pursue the defeated stack.

User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:49 am

Another question?

I moved a French Army in coordinated mode with 3 Corps, and at the end of the move the Army had merged with the Corps. They won a battle during the move.

I thought they should have remained separate stacks?

I don't have the option checked to join forces at the end of the move, but I think that should only influence the display of the stacks.

User avatar
Ebbingford
Posts: 5999
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:22 pm
Location: England

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:53 pm

Erik Springelkamp wrote:What do the little icons to the right of the counter below the command posture mean?

Image

The stack on the left has a lot of dots above ?a cross?



This is the merge units symbol, this unit will move and join the target unit. Or if the target unit is an enemy one it will try to follow and engage it. It tells you what unit is being targeted and in what region along the top of the stack panel when the unit is selected.

User avatar
Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Erik Springelkamp wrote:Another question?

I moved a French Army in coordinated mode with 3 Corps, and at the end of the move the Army had merged with the Corps. They won a battle during the move.

I thought they should have remained separate stacks?

I don't have the option checked to join forces at the end of the move, but I think that should only influence the display of the stacks.


They should remain seperate stacks. Did the 3 corps start in the same region as the army?

User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:They should remain seperate stacks. Did the 3 corps start in the same region as the army?


Yes, and they had the 'merge' icon as mentioned above.

User avatar
Philo32b
Captain
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 5:36 am

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 am

Erik Springelkamp wrote:Another question?

I moved a French Army in coordinated mode with 3 Corps, and at the end of the move the Army had merged with the Corps. They won a battle during the move.

I thought they should have remained separate stacks?

I don't have the option checked to join forces at the end of the move, but I think that should only influence the display of the stacks.


The "Synchronize Move Order" is supposed to just move corps or an army and corps together, not to merge. You are saying that they all actually merged together into one unit, not just that the different units were merely stacked on top of each other?

User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:25 am

Philo32b wrote:The "Synchronize Move Order" is supposed to just move corps or an army and corps together, not to merge. You are saying that they all actually merged together into one unit, not just that the different units were merely stacked on top of each other?


Yes. Three Corps and the Army stack started together. I only gave the Army a movement order, with the double arrow special order.
In the replay they all moved separately, synchronously, they had combat on the way, won, and at the end of the move there was one very large stack without separate Corps.

Maybe I should mention that I use the latest beta patch.

User avatar
Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Groningen, NL

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:09 am

This is the replay. The French army starts from Kassel and moves North to displace the Prussians:

Image

They beat the Prussian force

Image

and continue to move North

Image

and then they merge

Image

into one giant stack

Image

But now I understand:

I accidentally dropped my Army stack on the forward observation force when ordering the move, so everyone merged with this force.

Very complex game, you have to be so careful in so many ways.

On another note: I think it is unfortunate that during the movement of stacks they are often displayed rather far from the centre of the regions, and in many cases they seem to occupy another region then actually do.

Like above, the stacks are shown very far to the East, while they are in fact just moving along the road.

Especially with enemy stacks I often think they are in a different region than they really are.

homet
Corporal
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:55 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:11 pm

I've had that problem of accidentally merging stack of units together, especially when the stacks are in very close proximity. A solution that I found in the forum somewhere was to make good use of the ability to lock units. Cntrl+l will prevent all units from merging. You can then make your proposed moves in one area of the map ( everywhere if you like) and then hit control+l again to turn the merging feature off. It can also be done on a individual unit basis by right clicking on the unit tab. The commands show up in the appendix section of the users manual.

User avatar
Laruku
General of the Army
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Easier: to avoid stacks to merge, right click on the army tab. Then a padlock will appear. To unlock it, right click again.

User avatar
Durk
Posts: 2163
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:36 am
Location: Wyoming

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:07 am

Erik Springelkamp wrote:On another note: I think it is unfortunate that during the movement of stacks they are often displayed rather far from the centre of the regions, and in many cases they seem to occupy another region then actually do.

Like above, the stacks are shown very far to the East, while they are in fact just moving along the road.

Especially with enemy stacks I often think they are in a different region than they really are.


Keep asking and learning. The regions actually change shade when you put your mouse on the unit. While this does not help with enemy units, it is a good way to be certain where your own units are.
I remember my first experience with this system. I was convinced it was broken, somehow incomplete. Then as I learned more, and discovered the forum, I began to be passionate about how skillfully these games are constructed.

User avatar
GuileMike
Sergeant
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:22 pm
Location: Ramstein, Germany
Contact: Website

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:32 pm

So i am a noob to this game, played others like civil war 2. How do you get the generals portraits to display on the game map? I just have soldiers in stacks showing when I have officers in the stacks.

Return to “Rise of Prussia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest