Nikel

Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 pm

arsan wrote:Personally, i definitely prefer the classic AGEOD's 2D army stacks with the leader or units portrait in them :coeurs:

+1 :thumbsup:

Though regarding the 3d units posted, after looking at them you would like to catch them with a hand and move them here and there like a boy with plumb soldiers ;)

Hok
General

Thu May 14, 2009 9:46 am

"you would like to catch them with a hand and move them here and there like a boy with plumb soldiers"

It's what we had in mind when we designed them ;)

@Florent :
- Frankfurt is on the left side of the Oder ... this is wrong ?
- Oder, Weichsel and Elbe are navigable

@Sol Invictus : there's Eye-candy village, we choose to integrate them to the map ... playable cities/town/village have a 3D look

Concerning fortification there's 4 levels :neener: , i'll make a specific post on this point.

Nikel

Thu May 14, 2009 10:12 am

Hok, even though you do not post yet a screenshot regarding the battle report... ;)

In RoP, will the battle report be improved in some way? Displaying more information or something, or is it only for VGN?

Florent

Thu May 14, 2009 11:42 am

Strategy and Tactics 163 game has Frankfurt on the same side you did but Clash of Monarchs game has it right on the western side like all books. Thus you are wrong.
Oder and Elbe were important supply route, in 1756 but not only, the guns were brought by ships.
I didn't remember which year but i read (recently) that a prussian flotilla of 300 ships brought supply.
I will verify for Weichsel as well for the Spree river, there were perhaps a canal to ease the supply route west-east or Elbe-Oder. Duffy is a good source of information as is Henry LLoyd.

Nikel

Thu May 14, 2009 11:53 am

Yes, Frankfurt (Oder) is on the left (western side). On the right there is a polish city, at least in our modern world ;)

http://maps.google.es/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=es&geocode=&q=frankfurt+oder&sll=37.686024,-121.709547&sspn=66.803895,112.5&ie=UTF8&ll=52.351018,14.556584&spn=0.051903,0.109863&t=h&z=13

Edit: extracted from a 1756 map. Carte de l'Empire d'Allemagne... by Robert de Vaugondy, Didier, 1723-1786

[ATTACH]7773[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Frankfurt Oder 1756.jpg

TiFlo
Captain

Thu May 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Actually, those 3D units look professional and polished enough for me to question whether to play with portraits or 3D. Although portraits might still win simply for ease of gameplay :)

I especially like the UI, that seems slicker and more polished than ever. I absolutely love the top part! Ok, except maybe for the flag, which I prefer the hanging model found in WIA.

I'm not sure about the map. It looks closer to NCP than AACW/WIA. But gpepper stated somewhere that those graphics were not his style, so that's fair enough to let him express his without constraint. And it's beautiful anyway, and fits really well with the overall style :) :thumbsup:

And one question. What about the combat buttons we have in BOA, AACW and WIA (assault, retreat, all out defense, etc.). I don't see them. Are they planned? Or maybe they're just hidden?
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

Sol Invictus

Thu May 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Maybe the ROE buttons only show when Units are selected.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Hok
General

Thu May 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Florent wrote:Are non 3D units still available like the other games. Even if the¨Prussian Musketeer is nice, i still like better the old figurine in 2D for Variety. :D

OoO Florent ... I found this in my bottomless bag :mdr:

No doubt it's a Prussian General :gardavou:

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Thu May 14, 2009 2:47 pm

looks nice!

things which I don't like:

1. the army icons
2. the yellow annotations

Florent

Thu May 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Nice, you can call the area facing Frankfurt (the east side) Reppen or...Künersdorf. :D

Florent

Thu May 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Ah Hok, i think i took a branch of the river (perhaps Neisse ) for the Oder, i didn' take care at first :bonk: but you did it right if the Oder is leaving at almost right angle on the screen. It would be better obliquely but i understand for design. :thumbsup:
Perhaps a screenshot of the area to verify. :D

Sol Invictus

Fri May 15, 2009 12:25 am

I know I am pushing my luck but you know what would really be nice and add alot of chrome to the Unit graphics when using the soldier figure option? Different appearances between each nation. Not just color of uniforms but slightly different headgear and gaiters and such. That would be alot of work for poor gpepper but since I don't have to do it at least I can dream. :fleurs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Generalisimo

Fri May 15, 2009 12:48 am

Sol Invictus wrote:I know I am pushing my luck but you know what would really be nice and add alot of chrome to the Unit graphics when using the soldier figure option? Different appearances between each nation. Not just color of uniforms but slightly different headgear and gaiters and such. That would be alot of work for poor gpepper but since I don't have to do it at least I can dream. :fleurs:

You are talking about the 3d army models that you see on the map, right?

AFAIK, nope, they are 1 for each nation at the same time on map.
Of course, you do have that detail on the 2D version.
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Sol Invictus

Fri May 15, 2009 5:06 am

Yeah, I am just really stretching my imagination. :innocent: This is what happens to me when I desire something in a bad way. :wacko: This game will not be released soon enough. :happyrun:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jamescott
Private

Mon May 25, 2009 12:57 am

Jamescott wrote:Very much appreciate the input. I'm downloading the WIA demo as I type. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Here is my post in the WIA Forum. I thought I'd include it here as well because it appears there isn't too much traffic in the other. Anyone care to chime in?:

Greetings,

Complete AGEOD noob here who just began playing WIA in advance of Rise of Prussia. I wanted to get some experience with another AGEOD title to get the feel of mechanics, gameplay, graphics, etc.

I have tried the 4 turn demo and need some help/advice. First off, I have to admit my gaming tastes usually trend towards games with a more "hands on" feel. Some of the games currently on the hard drive include Hearts of Iron 2, World in Conflict, CIV 3, Rome TW, Operational Art of War 3, Combat Mission. I believe the closest match to WIA is the Operational Art of War. The difference is I'm very well versed in WW2 history, strategy, tactics and personalities. Can't say the same about the time period for WIA.

So, I guess I'm looking for some advice on how to approach this game. There is obviously great depth and detail, but I also appreciate a game I can become fully immersed into. Add to my above mentioned fact that I don't really know too much about the era, and I seemed to find myself somewhat unable to immerse myself as the pixelated General moved himself and his soldiers across the map (gorgous map by the way). Can any of the seasoned players offer some insight?

Thanks in advance!
"Good fortune is more fatal to princes than adversity: during the former they are intoxicated with presumption; the second renders them circumspect and modest." ~ Frederick the Great

mjw
Lieutenant

Mon May 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Well, I am a BIG fan of Ageods games. I played AACW until it stopped working on my computer (never fixed but the same problem with WIA was fixed with the latest patch so I suspect that AACW was too). I don't think that there are any games that give you greater and more realistic controls over the operational movements of armies as well as long term strategy. Concepts like weather based attrition, supply push and leadership activation (to simulate lazy arsed generals) are sorely lacking from other games (except Gary Grigsby's War between the States which I love also)

As far as immersion, I always felt like I was the Commanding General looking over a my map of the area (which is depicted by teh game map designed to look like a real drawn map). When I move an army or commander to a location, I am, in fact, issuing an order to have that commander move there and do" this or that" in whatever style I want. In real life, I might issue an order for General Clinton to proceed from New York up the Hudson to meet General Burgoyne. I might tell him to keep a defensive posture and avoid contact wherever possible so as to insure that the army is cohesive enough to fight when it meets up with Burgoyne's. I would need to time this movement right to avoid winter and insure that there is proper supply along the way. The orders would then be issued.

In the game, I can do all of this. The only difference is that instead of writing it all down and sending a rider off to the generals with a copy of the orders, I am mobving the peices on a map and clicking a few buttons.

Battle results are the same, the theater commander didn't always attend the battles, he would receive reports back about what had happened. He had to hope that his preperations relating to supply, the commanders selected to commnad the unit, unit composition as well as the timing of the battle in order to insure that the army still has cohesion (don't want to march a long way and then try to fight). This is all modeled.

I don't know, I always find AGEOD games immersive (except for WWI...couldn't get into it but I am not a fan of that war anyway)

Return to “Rise of Prussia”