aryaman

Major roads in ROP?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi
In NCP Major roads were a source of problems, allowing a very fast and unrealistic movement (Madrid-Seville in 5 days, for instance), has that been corrected in ROP?

Sol Invictus

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:30 pm

I agree. The Spanish scenario really highlighted the unrealistic speed of movement in NC. Maybe the road network for ROP should be restricted to Muddy Ruts. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

lodilefty

Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:35 pm

There is ongoing verification of marching speeds [days to cross a region] vs. historical data in the design efforts.

Terrain types and roads are included in this effort, as is the historical data indicating the higer rates of the Prussian army vs. other European forces....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Jamescott
Private

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:58 am

lodilefty wrote:as is the historical data indicating the higer rates of the Prussian army vs. other European forces....

Based on the book I'm currently reading about Frederick's military wisdoms, some of the attributes one could apply to Prussia could include:

1. A commitment to reconnaissance
2. Units with the ability to construct bridges to ford small streams at the head of columns.
3. A strong intelligence network
4. Marching in appropriate order of battle
5. Experience

While these seem obvious, I'm curious if there are other explanations why Prussia would have an increased movement rate compared to other European armies. Perhaps the inspiration of the Frederick himself?

Rooster
Corporal

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:26 am

Maybe the entire force felt the urgency to protect themselves from enemies on all sides. They had the most to lose?

tc237
Colonel

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:58 am

Jamescott wrote:....
While these seem obvious, I'm curious if there are other explanations why Prussia would have an increased movement rate compared to other European armies. Perhaps the inspiration of the Frederick himself?

hmm...maybe Cadenced Marching? marching in step to a drum beat.

But, by the SYW most European armies used it so I don't know if the Prussian Army would have a speed bonus on the operational map.
In the battle resolution phase OK, due to superior drill.

by the way, which book?

Jamescott
Private

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:55 am

tc237 wrote:by the way, which book?

When Empire Total War was released I was looking for some titles to read about the era. I find I can get more into the games when I have some background. I have had zero exposure to Frederick the Great other than references to him throughout various books about WW1/WW2 Germany.

There was a poster on the Wargamer who recommended "Frederick the Great on War" by Jay Luvaas. It's basically a compilation of different works combined into one book. Frederick writes on so many facets of war. I'm enjoying it very much. The only problem is, again, my lack of knowledge of the bigger picture. I don't have the reference points when he discusses specific campaigns or wars. Looks like I'll need another recommendation. Anyone, anyone? :)
"Good fortune is more fatal to princes than adversity: during the former they are intoxicated with presumption; the second renders them circumspect and modest." ~ Frederick the Great

tc237
Colonel

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:23 am

To get started try:
The Seven Years' War Project
Large site with tons of stuff.

aryaman

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:36 am

Jamescott wrote:

The main reason was discipline and organization, as it was apparent at Rossbach, while the French/Imperial required several hours to strike camp, the prussians did it in half an hour.

Hok
General

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:39 am

We are working on two major parameters :

- the move ratio (unit's speed)
- cohesion loss during movement

Result : actually in our beta release prussians are moving about 20% faster with a cohesion loss 10-15 % lower than other european armies.

Example : a travel from Potsdam to Torgau, Prussian will gain between 1 to 3 days and be 10% more efficient in battle at destination.

We are still searching a good balance.

Major roads will have a small impact in Plains / wood terrain but will be a great help in other terrains.

Jamescott
Private

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:04 pm

tc237 wrote:To get started try:

Thanks!
"Good fortune is more fatal to princes than adversity: during the former they are intoxicated with presumption; the second renders them circumspect and modest." ~ Frederick the Great

arsan

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:49 pm

tc237 wrote:To get started try:

Wow! very nice link!! :coeurs: :coeurs:
Thanks tc237!! :thumbsup:

Return to “Rise of Prussia”