Bertram

Playing the demo

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:43 pm

I started playing the demo. Jumped right in (real men dont do tutorials). I like it - lots to discover.

One question. The Austrians kicked Frederick (me) out of Dresden (sneaky bastards passed my main force on the other side of the river - but I took Prague in revenge. I like the AI so far). Frederick didnt retreat to the region in the north-west (along the road, and towards supply and the capital) but retreated across the river, to a snowy Grossenhain. This didnt feel logical.

And one remark. One of the strategic cities (Hannover) is in a region that "cant be entered in this scenario" The city is contested. I guess this area can be entered later on, or in the complete game? (I played the campaign - or is this not really the campaign, but a special scenario for the demo?).

PhilThib

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Bertram wrote:And one remark. One of the strategic cities (Hannover) is in a region that "cant be entered in this scenario" The city is contested. I guess this area can be entered later on, or in the complete game? (I played the campaign - or is this not really the campaign, but a special scenario for the demo?).

Yes, this is normal. Hannover (and most of West Germany) gets access after Feb 1757, when this nation (and France) enter the war. In the meanwhile, in the demo, it's just blocked. :cool:

Pocus

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:33 pm

About the first problem, is Grossenhain Prussian controlled?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Bertram

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Both Grossenhain (which was the region Frederick retreated to, acoss the river from Dresden), and Oschatz (the region north-west of Dresden) were 100% Pruissian controlled, and 98% Pruissian and 2% Austrian loyal.
To get in Grossenhain Frederic (and his army) had to cross the Elbe (shallow, but even then), and there was snow in Grossenhain. In contrast there was no snow in Oschatz, the army could retreat along the road, and it was towards their supply in Torgau (though there was also supply in Cotbuss, two regions past Grossenhain).

It is no big problem, and it took Frederick only one turn to reach Torgau from Grossenhain, but I expected him to retreat to Oschatz - it looked the most logical option for me as human. I dont know in how far the retreat direction is random (edit: I mean, has a random component), and in how far it is an algorithm.

Ironclad61
Major

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

A little question, in the last tutorial, fight tutorial, cant end turn, i miss something??? isnt important but is a fast way to see the new combat report.

arsan

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Why you can't?? :confused: Which turn?? can't you process any??
You should be able. In fact the third tutorial has instructions in several turns IIRC... so you should do several turns, fight some battles and do a siege IIRC.
Cheers

Lannes
Major

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:21 pm

Ironclad61 wrote:A little question, in the last tutorial, fight tutorial, cant end turn, i miss something??? isnt important but is a fast way to see the new combat report.

Me too, I click and nothing :blink:

Pocus

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Sorry for the trouble, there is a glitch in the third tutorial indeed.

Please use this hotfix which replace the old executable with a new one:

http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/latest/Hotfix_ROP101a.exe

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ironclad61
Major

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for the fast reply and solution, now works fine :thumbsup:

Mickey3D

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:42 am

In AACW there is something I find very convenient : when hovering the mouse cursor on a region you get the ammo and supply production in the table at top of the screen :

[ATTACH]10455[/ATTACH]

I can't find the same information in RoP.

This kind of information is very useful as it allows the player to know if a force can "live on the ground" i.e. is the supply in the region sufficient or do you have to trace a supply path to a friendly source ?
Attachments
2010-03-06_005343.jpg

caranorn

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 am

By the way... I haven't commented on the demo yet. The reason is that I'm too busy playing it :D ...

Great job Ageod, as expected...

:thumbsup:
Marc aka Caran...

lodilefty

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Mickey3D wrote:In AACW there is something I find very convenient : when hovering the mouse cursor on a region you get the ammo and supply production in the table at top of the screen :

[ATTACH]10455[/ATTACH]

I can't find the same information in RoP.

This kind of information is very useful as it allows the player to know if a force can "live on the ground" i.e. is the supply in the region sufficient or do you have to trace a supply path to a friendly source ?

Turn on the Supply Filter, and you will see an icon on each productive region. A tooltip on the icon explains the values..... :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Mickey3D

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:15 pm

lodilefty wrote:Turn on the Supply Filter, and you will see an icon on each productive region. A tooltip on the icon explains the values..... :D

Thanks a lot ! I miss this one :nuts:

Nial
Colonel

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:18 am

Couple things :)

Movement:
Two adjacent regions, with a road running inbetween, Instead of moving along the road into the desired region, the stack moves up into another adjacent region that has no road and is also a mountain region, then back down into the target region. (sorry for run on sentence) Happened in two different regions. S
Holding the shift button makes no difference, it will not let the stack move along the road. One common denominator is snow in both regions. But you would think the road would still be the correct route.

Saxon surrender:
How? I had armies sitting on the correct roads from turn three till the end of the game and no surrender. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Nial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nial
Colonel

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 am

OK, figured out the saxon problem. but it doesn't seem right. All you have to do is rush in on the first turn before the Saxon army activates and they auto surrender the next turn. Is this WAD?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mickey3D

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Nial wrote:Movement:
Two adjacent regions, with a road running inbetween, Instead of moving along the road into the desired region, the stack moves up into another adjacent region that has no road and is also a mountain region, then back down into the target region. (sorry for run on sentence) Happened in two different regions. S
Holding the shift button makes no difference, it will not let the stack move along the road. One common denominator is snow in both regions. But you would think the road would still be the correct route.

I have the same problem I described here.

Pocus

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:28 am

I replied in the other thread.

Return to “Rise of Prussia”