Bern
Lieutenant

Engagement Question

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:46 am

Just musing. At the point in the RoP where an engagement is about to happen, battle or maybe skirmish, is there any possibility that the forces involved could be noted and the engagement played out with minatures, or, for example, the new H&M game which has an editor and the results fed back to RoP.

This would be an absolutely ideal situation for 7YW buffs, or maybe I'm being completely selfish :D

Bern

Franciscus

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:55 am

Haa, it's good to see another fellow knight engaged on the demand for the holy grail of a tactical layer in AGEOD's games. Alas, it will probably not be easy..., maybe not even in our lifetimes... :(
(But your idea of a "dramatical" representation of the battle would be a great thing :thumbsup :)

Rafiki

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Sorry Bern, but though I very easily see how this would be a very good way to blend miniature gaming in with the strategic framework an AGE game represents, the level of interest we have seen for this has so far fallen far short of justifying the effort needed to develop and integrate this.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Bern
Lieutenant

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Ah well I can't say I'm too surprised by your response - maybe it's not worth pursuing.

I imagine that the major obstacle would be how to find a means of feeding in the battle result back to RoP in a form in which it recognizes. When you are very, very old, as am I, memory dims, but I do seem to recall a Napoleonics game of some vintage which accepted external battle results by means of a manual alteration to the actual game reult which was contained in the game's data folder as a notepad style file. Could not something along these lines be fitted in?

Oh blazes I do seem to be pursuing this - please forgive.

Bern

rogs
Sergeant

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:03 am

i would be interested in such a feature

maybe for ROP2?

not only for miniatures - which would be fantastic - you could use the recently released Horse & Musket Vol 1 Frederick the Great - which has a scenario editor - to transfer battles from AGEOD's RoP to H&M

i was thinking i would do that anyway even if you couldn't feed the results back into AGEOD's RoP. you could play a battle out in H&M and then see what happens in RoP

Kai
Conscript

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:40 am

There is more interest in this than AGEOD recognizes.

Particularly for their Napoleonics release, it would be a big selling point to the game. I would be willing to bet that there are more Napoleonic miniatures gamers than there are hard core Napoleonics computer wargamers.

A utility that would allow for manual entry of battlefield results would allow AGEOD's games a much broader appeal than they currently enjoy.

However.

Return to “Rise of Prussia”