Don Powell
Sergeant

Historical Resource Placement?

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 pm

In considering my next Prospecting missions, I started to wonder if the resource placements have been seen (by players) to be reasonably accurate?

For example, when it comes to Petroleum in Russia, doing a bit of study, I see that they now have a very large set of fields in the Samoltor / Nizhnevartovsk region (real world).

Does research of resources in the known "real" world have value in the game? Would it be more likely to find petroleum there?

And to Pocus - in game dvelopment, were the resource location assignments made from the 1850 - 1920 perspective ?

Or, if a resource had been discovered in the 1930s for example, would it be available for discovery in the game ?

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Re: Historical Resource Placement?

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:11 pm

It vseems to me that recent updates have imbalanced the relative amount of resources a bit by beefing some places.

Durk

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:32 pm

I do not know if you played the old board game Gusher, but it seems resources are allocated in a similar manner. Regions have probability quotas which are 'seeded' when the game begins and when explorers enter. You do not get the same resource in the same region in each game, but resources are seeded in historical probable regions. This includes some small finds that were locally important.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Ok - thanks for the responses.

Do you believe that the randomization is aligned within any game structures such as Colonial grouping, administrative area or Theater ? Or is it less defined?

Pocus

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:18 pm

From memory, the variance is drawn on a per region basis.

The original work was done by Philippe Thibaut; I think he went historical, and did not add modern finding. Then over patches, to balance the game, some extra resources were added there and there.

ETF
Captain

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Curious what is the difference between the Prospecting with the "card" option re. Colonial and the "Prospecting" unit/counter on the map?

Durk

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:18 pm

Somebody should surely correct me if my understanding is incorrect; I think of both as interactive. that is; once you have the unit in place, then you can play the card. I have no idea if this is correct, but it is what seems to work for me.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:26 am

Right - you need that for the specific Colonial Action - but the mere presence of the unit also has a small chance to discover the resource even if the unit is idle:

"Each 5 experience adds 1% to the chance".

Return to “Pride of Nations”