Shinkuro Yukinari
Civilian

New to the game, looking for general tips

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:52 pm

Hello everyone! :hat:
Basically I came across this older gem randomly and as someone who has a lot of love(and experience) for Victoria 2 I decided to give it a whirl. What beginner tips would you suggest to me, other than the tutorial?
Also, are there any other ways to speed up the game apart from screwing up the AI via the options? I had the game crash on me by randomly clicking when it was rolling a turn :laugh:

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: New to the game, looking for general tips

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Best I can suggest is to have a poke around at this old (but mostly still correct) AAR:

viewtopic.php?f=326&t=28767

unfortunately the index no longer works so its a bit harder to find the discussions on game mechanics than it used to be

Durk

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:07 am

I too came to PON after playing a lot of Victoria 2. I would say the differences are profound. Victoria 2 is kind of a fantasy venture into a possible past. PON is an historical simulation of that past. PON takes a lot of learning of economics and is very solidly grounded in history. Do make sure you are in the most recent patch, as this will make play, especial solitary play much more rewarding.

loki100's AAR is well worth the time to investigate in full. I learned so much from his insights and advice.

By the way, if you wish for a multiplayer game, there are several eight to ten player games out their you can join, and every so often a new pbem game starts. Multiplayer is a whole different world.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:55 am

I would recommend starting as US, France or Sardinia Piemont. US is simple to start with in the first 10 game years, France is stable and has almost all options to play with while not overwhelming and S-P is a major country that is overseeable and comes with a strong potential ally (France).

Like every AGEOD game the setting is historically accurate, with the downfall that you shouldn't ovresteer altering it the way you want it.

Management of economics and population is paramount. Build merchant ships and trade with a lot of countries both, selling and buying.

Did anybody mention the AAR section yet?

Note that there are a lot of restricting rules for requesting land in peacedeals.

Make allies.

The MP community are (mostly :innocent: ) nice guys who will teach you to play first, before they eat you up. :hat:

MickM2
Conscript

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:03 pm

We are looking for a player to play as Austria in a 14 player PBEM if you are interested? No better way to learn the game.

Shinkuro Yukinari
Civilian

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:17 pm

MickM2 wrote:We are looking for a player to play as Austria in a 14 player PBEM if you are interested? No better way to learn the game.

Thanks but I will first play a couple of singleplayer games to get a handle on the game :D

Return to “Pride of Nations”