JWW
Sergeant

Help me out with the status of the game please

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:45 pm

See if I have this right.
There is a 1.04 official patch.
There is a 1.04.3 quickfix patch.
There is the loki post 1.04.03 event pack plus additional script changes he recommends.
And that is the current latest state of the game. Am I at least mostly correct? If I have those things, am I okay?

There is a new patch that is supposed to be out shortly, apparently a "final" patch, that will make the 1.04.3 and event pack fixes and perhaps other fixes offcial. Is that correct?

I have not played in some time but want to take on the Americans and run an 1850 America campaign. I have my summer off and think that would be an interesting project. Could I start it now, or should I wait for the upcoming official patch? (Even if a wait is recommended, I may start one now to start becoming familiar with my challenges.)

Also, is there an American AAR or walkthrough anywhere on line. I haven't been able to locate one.

Thanks in advance for all comments and answers.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Help me out with the status of the game please

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:00 pm

I've never seen an American AAR - which is a pity as it'd be a very interesting perspective on how things work out. Watching the US AI in my current game its being very brutal towards Mexico - but not sure to what real gains.

You're right about the patch situation.

One reason to hold back maybe that the final patch will include a better - all game - fix to the force pool expansion problem - my quick and dirty solution really just resolves the 1850-60 issue. I think the next patch will overall offer an experience close to what this game always could have been.

Having said that, its worth a bit of a practice run. Diplomacy is very different, the AI will often honour defensive treaties and 'offer support; is not the no-risk option it was before. The colonial buildings and cards have been reworked so they are much less interchangeable and much more there for a particular purpose.

JWW
Sergeant

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Thank you for the reply. Any rough estimate on the arrival of that patch?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:38 pm

soon ;) - or so I believe

and, worth bearing in mind a USA AAR would he a fascinating contribution to the literature around the game - think its the only major with nothing - even very short AARs around specific phases of the game
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

JWW
Sergeant

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:31 pm

I became interested in an America campaign after reading here about the updates and changes to the game and after recently reading Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History, by S. C. Gwynne, which describes the long but ultimately futile resistance by the Comanches to United States (and Mexican) encroachment on their lands. Of course I note in the game that Comanche land is generically described as Cherokee land, as the game uses a few Native American tribal names to substitute for the many historical tribal groups. But I am interested, among other things, in how America in the game deals with the Native Americans.

I have never played a full campaign. I've started campaigns and played the short scenarios, so I am still very much a beginner. However, I have always held this game in a certain amount of awe because of what it attempts to do. So I do think I am going to do an America campaign. And if I do, I will write at least a summary AAR. I am going through tutorials again and a couple of walkthroughs including your How To Play series before I get started.

My only concern is starting one now and then finding out I need to restart it due to the upcoming patch, though I think I need to run at least one test start to make sure I don't bungle the job too badly at the start.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:15 pm

This is based on comments I saw from very early with PoN. The US expansion was well modelled and a few players got themselves into a mess by pushing too far too fast. In essence its the standard colonial game but in continental America. Even once you establish some control (military and colonial) you can get caught up in a seemingly endless war with rebels (this dies down a bit over time). So you basically have to slowly expand your safe/controlled zone behind a more advanced riskier zone - where you will have set backs.

In this respect I am 6 years into a war in Khiva in my current game. Every time I get it under control it all erupts again. Have a large army and two well supported corps plus Cossacks and every now and then something gets burnt down or I suffer a localised defeat. The idea of taking on Bukhara is too daunting till this is sorted out.

But I think your basic reading is right. Treatment of the non-active factions is a bit generic. Which is fine as the game is based on the fallacies of colonialism not on the experience of the colonised.

Would be really interesting to see a US AAR.

I suspect the patch is fairly near ready to be honest - but as with much PoN development in the last few years its all being done in spare/free time. Having said that, apart from very early on, PoN patches have always been save game friendly. Since it takes 1-2 years to complete the GC this has been essential
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

JWW
Sergeant

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Thank you for all the information. I am going to give it a go and will post an AAR of some sort, likely not detailed. I am a relative beginner at the game, though I have played some other AGEOD games more extenisvely including CWII games to conclusion. I have never done a true AAR, just a few one or two post game summaries for a few games. I will probably crash and burn and will make lots of mistakes. But I have been interested in playing an America campaign for some time while doing other things. And I am beta testing another much less complex game right now -- my first beta -- and writing things about that game for the beta has been quite interesting. So I will give this a try. I will probably have America bankrupt and with a Civil War loss by 1865.

ETF
Captain

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:43 pm

I too would love to see an AAR on the US side of things. Thanks for doing this!

Return to “Pride of Nations”