Quirk
Lieutenant

Which country to choose?

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 am

Hello all,

After all the recent updates, I am close to starting my first game of PON (owning it since it came out). So my question is, what country should I choose for the most stable and historical sound (scripts, events etc) experience? I do not care about difficulty, as I played close to all Ageod games in single player, so I guess I will figure everything out sooner or later. But what I care most about is a good feeling of historical logic and flow. So, any advice on which country would most probably give me that? :)

Best regards,
Quirk

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Which country to choose?

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:02 pm

to be really helpful -- ' it depends'.

I'd avoid Belgium, there really is too little to do.

US and Japan are slow starters, but once they pass the 1860s both offer scope.

Austria and France are both fun, Austria is more of a European power but you can intervene across the continent (and take some one else's colonies if you wish). France is a challenge, especially pre-1870 as you struggle with domestic unrest and a growing Prussia.

Russia is interesting, you will be backward but powerful, lots of scope for action in Central Asia and the Far East.

Turkey is much the same - bit more limited but there is a very good AAR where someone drove the Austrians out of the Balkans. If you opt for them, there is a problem with your mid-game Sultan (from about 1870-1900) who is so weak diplomatically that he stops you doing anything - you might want to mod his stats to prevent complete frustration.

Prussia fast becomes powerful and post 1880 you can move onto global issues.

The UK is a bit of a challenge as you have a lot going on, but in truth a player should be able to manage it into a clear lead.

Sardinia-Piedmont/Italy is simply great fun (but then I am biased).

Which ever you choose few core ideas. Don't play as a mercantalist, as the player you need to set up your economy to lubricate global trade so if you can buy in rather than produce etc. One of the joys of PoN is you come to realise that todays enemy is tomorrows trading partner and vice-versa so in the main imposing a devastating defeat on an opponent may not be your best long term plan. The colonial game is slow and frustrating - you will find the locals strangely opposed to your benevolent plans.

have fun - it really is addictive

Quirk
Lieutenant

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:00 pm

Hey Loki,

Thank you very much for your in-dept analysis! Though it doesn't make my choice much easier :D
Many countries really sound very interesting. Which nation do you think has the most scripted events? As I love those, I might eventually choose the one with most of them, as starting point wise all countries sound very interesting.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:27 pm

I think Prussia is a good choice. You have a lot of events around the road to unification, the war with Austria is optional, that with France is key. Post-unification there is a good modelling of the shift from Bismack's Euro-centric world to a more international mindset.

You get some colonies by event as well as a portion of China. Of course by late game you should be one the major land powers.

France is also rich in events but if you are not sure how to handle domestic unrest its a bit frustrating up to 1870. For good or ill, PoN takes the view that the 'Liberal Empire' was not very liberal and not much of an empire. It has a nice mid/late game modelling of the various crises of the Third Republic.

Austria is rather underveloped. There was a very good mod by Kensai but I think some of the 1.04 changes (both code and event) has undermined that. But worth a look at it as it deepens Austrian gameplay if you win the showdown with Prussia.

1.04 has added a lot of late game events for Russia, incl rising tensions with a very dangerous Japan (if it is AI controlled).

So again, not exactly a clear answer but Prussia might fit the bill. Not too large at the start, powerful even so, and of course probably the key European continental power across most of the PoN era.

Quirk
Lieutenant

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:31 pm

Again, thank you ver muyh, Loki :)

I guess I will start with Prussia then. Would be my "natural" choice somehow. Though as I usually choose Prussia in other games as well, Russia and the Ottomans have a slight chance as well :)

Return to “Pride of Nations”