blackcats
Conscript

Questions on game play and overall feel

Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:54 pm

I have a few questions maybe some of you can help me out with.

1) How many scenario's excluding the DLC. Is it a sandbox like Victoris 2 or other Paradox Development Studios projects? Judging by scenario's mentioned for the DLC I assume its scenario based and not sand box.

2) Does the wego system work? Seems like it could be endless chasing of units in war situations. I have never played an Ageod game before but I know they are all simultanious turns "wego" style

3) Is it as complex as I hear? I read one review suggesting you start with Victoria 2 as its simplier.

4) Given the complexity of turns, how long does a human turn take

5) How is the preformance? Would a 2.7 gig quad with 12 gigs of ram see long delays between turns?

I guess to get better answers I should list some of the games I enjoy so you can get a baseline for what I may consider hard or easy

Europa Universalis 3 and 4
Crusader Kings 2
Gary Grigsby World at War
Gary Grigsby War Between the States
Campaign Series
Civ 5
Every Total War

And countless others along those lines. I should mention I have tried both Victoria's but for some reason I never felt connected to them or willing to go for the long grind. Since this game is in the same time period that is one of my concerns that I won't gel with the game and get into it.

The main thing that has be interested is some of the DLC. Having 1 system to play a civil war game followed by another scenario using the same system sounds interesting.

Also (Sorry for getting long winded) how well do the scanrio's work? Does playing the civil war feel like a full game involving the civil war? Or does it feel abstracted and worked into the bigger scale?

Thanks in advance for any feed back

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:44 pm

try to answer. One way to get a feel is to have a look at some of the AARs and my 'manufacturing Italy' goes all the way to 1920 so maybe worth dipping in and out of.

The base game has 4 (?) battle scenarios and the 1850 biggie. Of the battle scenarios the Boer War is really good as asymetric and colonial warfare is a major part of the game and its best to learn the frustrations in a contained environment (and it is frustrating where your columns of regulars run out of cohesion/supply etc). The Russo-Japanese war is interesting and helps with ground combat. The 1859 Austrian-Piedmont is a bit of a waste of time - as a player you won't lose but it can teach some basics. Of the DLC both the Franco-Prussian war and the American Civil war are good - as intros into the AGEOD combat system. Some players will argue that the 1880 grand campaign start is better than the 1850 so that is worth picking up. For the ACW scenario - its good but if you really crave that ultimate civil war experience then Civil War 2 is much better simulation.

wego is very elegant, in Europe armies will tend to come into conflict - large stacks, high detection values, easy to spot. In colonial terrain all bets are off as you may not be able to spot a tribal/irregular opponent, never mind bring them to battle. I think it captures the uncertainty of the era but other rules such as 'march to the sound of the guns' (where armies in adjoining provinces can join a battle) can compensate if you get caught out as orders are executed.

It does take a bit of getting used to. The length of the game matters here as cause-effect takes a little while to become obvious -- hence suggestion of poking around in the AARs

Every now and then you will have a long 'admin' turn when you retune your economy. This can be slow but its essential. Most turns are quick, a bit of refining of your industrial structure, maybe order a new build, maybe move something (maybe not). In a major war things slow down as obviously you are paying more attention and the AI is much busier. In peace time turn processing is pretty quick (but there are a lot of turns) but a land war involving Germany or Russia will be slower.

As you are new to the AGEOD system, I'd strongly suggest don't jump into the grand campaign. There is no reason not to use PoN to test out things but play the scenarios. There are quirks around army formation, movement and combat that are best learnt when you are not at risk of losing an army that took you 10 years to build up.

Generally PoN is to Victoria what a serious book is to a colouring book - it is far more realistic, far more immersive and the ultimate game of this era. But its not without its flaws mainly due to the complexity and its ambitious scope.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Return to “Pride of Nations”