KnightofPhoenix
Civilian

Tips for Diplomacy

Tue May 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Hello everyone, I just recently got the game and I have been having a blast balancing trade deficits and all.

One thing that intrigued me greatly about the game was its diplomacy, which seems in some areas possibly the best incarnation of diplomacy in gaming (the crisis management in particular). However, I have yet to fully grasp all factors pertaining to it and I would love to get some advice if at all possible.

Initially, I thought that the number of diplomats available imposed a limit for the number of diplomatic requests I can issue in one turn. As S-P, I have 6 diplomats, which I thought meant I can only issue 6 diplomatic actions a turn. Turns out that the number regenerates only twice a year, from what I understood.

So how does one cultivate relationships with several countries in the long run? I figured that I should prioritize and focus on France, Tuscany, and the Papal States. But I have been getting rejections commonly on the basis of being a threat to peace for some reason (I mean yes S-P has a professional army but calm down). Am I right to prioritize a few countries as opposed to try and raise approval across the board?

Another problem I am facing is that my relationship with everyone is degrading by 1 point each turn. I reduced the tariffs from 33% to 25% thinking that it would have a positive impact but apparently it didn't. What are the reasons behind a steady decline? Mind you, I did not build up my military or have done any military action.

The only possible reasons I can think of are that I banned child work, raised the issue of Italian unity, and have been doing colonial actions in Somalia (in no one's SoI). Do we know if any or all of them contribute to reduced friendliness? Are there any other reasons?

Thanks a lot for the help!

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Best with a smaller power is to identify some key friends and really work on them. If you can manage to sign a commercial agreement that will lead to a slow improvement in relations so the first challenge is getting that first deal. Best to prepare by 'offer support' and state visits. The first cannot be refused - though it can pull you into a war so be a bit careful.

Your tariffs may still be too high to have a positive effect - its been a while since I played and I've forgotten the threshold values. If you can drop them to 5% for a few turns and see if that improves your relations.

Yes you get new diplomats every 6 months. If I recall post-unification you get more. You'll also need them for the colonial game so don't spend them all on inter-state diplomacy once you get into the 1870s.

Some of the stated reasons for refusing a deal are, imho, borderline trolling. I often got told by a very powerful Germany that I was a threat to world peace.

So start with the 'support' mission, try for a diplomatic visit, then for a commercial agreement. You'll get some scripted relations with France in the late 1850s. Never build a factory/mine etc in another country unless you both have a commercial agreement and relations > 25 - otherwise they will confiscate it.

At the end of the war, unused warscore is allocated to repairing diplomatic relations. How important this is depends on your long term plans but if you do stumble into a war with a state you don't regard as a long term enemy, being nice at the peace table can really pay off longer turn.

Good mindset in PoN is that todays enemy is tommorrow's trading partner (and vice versa). Its not a game for all out rampages but for using politics, economics and warfare as means to further your long term goals.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

KnightofPhoenix
Civilian

Tue May 17, 2016 6:31 pm

I didn't expect Loki himself would reply! I read your S-P AAR and it was my inspiration to start the game as the rightful rulers of the Mediterranean.

Yes I will try to reduce the tariff even more and see what that does. I was worried that this diplomatic degradation is linked to this inexplicable perception that I am a threat to world peace, which I thought might be a bug.

Thank you for your advice. I got the game primarily because I wanted to play diplomatically and I certainly do not want to be surrounded by enemies. I was planning on normalizing relations with Austria once I liberate North Italy from their grasp. After all, I need someone to help the Ottomans preoccupied while I try to take over the Levant (and help check Prussia and Russia).

Durk

Wed May 18, 2016 3:54 am

This is so interesting. I keep trying to get a handle on how to play this game without causing an economic crisis. Nice new learning.

Return to “Pride of Nations”