greycat
Private

1880 GC Colonial Problem

Sun May 08, 2016 3:59 pm

I'm playing the 1880 campaign with v1.04 and all the SOI values are -10. (The Colonial Affairs screen shows no data either.) I know that this problem has been addressed before and I have checked that the relevant 'Event' file is present. However, it is still not working - does anyone have any suggestions, please?

sirhiggins
Sergeant

Sun May 08, 2016 9:48 pm

Try this, HerrDan explained it for me earlier:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?39602-Tsingtao

greycat
Private

Sun May 08, 2016 11:19 pm

sirhiggins wrote:Try this, HerrDan explained it for me earlier:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?39602-Tsingtao

:) Many thanks for this, the correct SOI values are now showing on the map. I'm still confused by the Colonial Affairs screen, though. I'm playing as Germany and some of the colonial areas where I have high CP (Zanzibar and Togoland) are not showing - perhaps I am misunderstanding something. :confused:

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 09, 2016 8:08 am

not sure if this is the answer but remember that the sphere of influence (SOI) and colonial penetration (CP) concepts are very different. The second reflects what you are doing on the ground - creating an infrastructure so as to build up your control of a colony. SOI is how acceptable this is to the other major powers. If you are seen to trampling where you shouldn't be there will much tutting and shaking of heads in the Chancellories of Europe at your ill mannered actions.

SOI goes up slowly as a consensus builds that you are now allowed to be where you are - remember you need to get SOI positive before you gain VPs for your colony (before that its a negative relationship) - so in the main only go outside your SOI for strategic reasons such as to grab key resources or for naval bases.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

greycat
Private

Mon May 09, 2016 10:12 pm

loki100 wrote:not sure if this is the answer but remember that the sphere of influence (SOI) and colonial penetration (CP) concepts are very different. The second reflects what you are doing on the ground - creating an infrastructure so as to build up your control of a colony. SOI is how acceptable this is to the other major powers. If you are seen to trampling where you shouldn't be there will much tutting and shaking of heads in the Chancellories of Europe at your ill mannered actions.

SOI goes up slowly as a consensus builds that you are now allowed to be where you are - remember you need to get SOI positive before you gain VPs for your colony (before that its a negative relationship) - so in the main only go outside your SOI for strategic reasons such as to grab key resources or for naval bases.

I understand, but I'm not sure it is working as intended. I have a Protectorate over Zanzibar, 40% CP and SOI (current change) = 1, yet it does not appear on the 'Colonial Affairs' screen and I am receiving no colonial Prestige Points at all. Yet other colonial areas, where I have little or no CP, do appear on the colonial display. I don't see the logic of this! :bonk:

Return to “Pride of Nations”