Prussia
Lieutenant

Garibaldi shows up, and Twin Sicilies annexed, but.................

Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:14 am

Early November 1860 the annexation of the Twin Sicilies occurs, and the twin Garibaldi's show up in Sicily and Calabria.

As Victor Emmanuel is in Puglia with an 1141 power army he is able to make short work of the dual Garibaldi Corps of 430.

Upon annexation I receive:

- Palermo
Sicilia Carbinieri, 1x Fortress Garrison and 1x Fortress Artillery

- Fleet Borbonne
3x Battleships, 1x Transport, and 4x Divisione Recce (35 ship elements)

- Puglia
1x Brigada Vol Borbonicci

- Campania
3x Regt. Art. de la Re
1x Brig. Aureinma
1x Brig. de Corne

Messages and Newspaper Headlines:

Garibaldi lands in Calabria
Garibaldi captures Naples
36 elements of the army of Two Sicilies is now serving under your flag as 33 ships
Following the annexation 124 Soldier Companies joined your ranks, gained 113 prestige, 2476 monies, and 965 various goods
Legitimate ownership of 33 regions has passed to you

Garibaldi receives two duplicate units composed of:

Division de Voluntari
I Cacciotori de Alpi
Zappatori del Genio
Volunteers Supply

Tuscany, Parma, and the Papal States remain independent.

Perceived issues and/or concerns, and observations:

1- I attempted to roll back to the turn prior to this but I only had settings at 3 saves, so I am unable to check on status of Two Sicilies armed forces prior to event. Because it looks like I didn't get all the purty new forces that I see in Loki's AAR.

1a- Is changing sysBackupNum = 3 to 12 in System.Opt the correct place to change the number of saved turns?

2- Is the annexation event random in terms of the troops that you will receive?

3- The number of ships awarded states 36 elements in 33 ships, but I only count 35 ships- what am I not understanding properly or misreading?

4- It states 124 companies- is this a reference to troop pools?

5- Regarding the dual Garibaldi's Corps- is this just a representation of him commanding two units?

6- Should I have received all the Two Sicily's armed forces? Unfortunately I can't roll back to see what was there initially. If so, is there a script to award me the units? Or will they show up in the future? They can't just vaporize into thin air?

7- 33 regions awarded- what? How? Where? Even if I count Mascate, Dubai, Dodocanese, the 3 Swiss provinces and other places I come nowhere close to having 33 regions- is this just a scripting/display error?

8- Regarding monies awarded/received- the Private Capital appears correct but I did receive a 1000 plus State funds as well.

9- Are Loki's scripts at http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?33505-Rethinkng-Piombieres&p=300276&viewfull=1#post300276 beneficial or useful to implement? Are they even germaine to the above issue?

10- I know there was a combat unit from the Two Sicilies on the map with a leader- where did that leader go? Or is it again a case of being random? Not like I have an over-abundance of Leaders!

11- Is there a script to resurrect a Leader in the event that something mis-fired script wise?

Any thought, impressions or guidance regarding Italian Unification for those more experienced than I (Oh Hail Loki et al) would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Jean-Claude

[ATTACH]38549[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Prussia
Lieutenant

Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:02 am

Replaying the turns that I had backtracked upon- things played out a little differently.

Victor Emanuelle did not do as well against Gary #1; who escaped northwards with about a 1/3 of his force intact, but severely low in cohesion and supply. The following turn V.E. did break the siege of Palermo, with another small remnant of Gari #2 still on the island.

The next turn Parma and Tuscany joined the fold, contributing two leaders, ground forces, state and private funds, etc. Papal States remain independent.

One thing I noticed- Diplomacy options still are available for the states that joined the unification- Two Sicilies, Parma, and Tuscanny still have diplomatic options available. Just a dangling bug? Or does that remain till all the states are in the fold?

Studying the verbiage of when states unify concerning troops, it appears that it may be random as to who or what joins.

Cheers.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:14 am

try to answer but its a while so I maybe conflating plans for the next patch with the current version.

I think the scripts from the other thread are now in the current beta - slightly amended etc.

Those were designed to eliminate the early problem. What used to happen was G did his thing in Sicily but failed to move on (he couldn't complete the conquest in the alloted time), so he lived in Sicily as a rebel and the unification chain failed. What the current version does is to basically move him and his merry band forward in stages to Palermo where he has a battle - this is all by script and he either wins or losses (its random). If he wins then the south is reset as Italian and all his special army eliminated.

Once the GaribaldiNaples1860 event has fired (this is from the current beta), you should get the Parliament of Italy event, probably early in 1861 (it might be a bit delayed), that will give you Parma and Tuscany.

You then trigger the RomaOMorte event around Lazio/Rome/Papal states, that will bring G back as a rebel again and he'll try to take the eternal city (and most likely fail). If you don't own Rome you get Firenze as your capital in 1865 and a large reduction in the rebel loyalties in Italy. Following from this the French will pull out in 1866 and you get another round of rebel activity in the Papal States - this should end up with you getting Rome about 1867 and then in 1871 you get full unification - plus the new colonial cards etc.

I think for the next patch, the only real changes are some small tweaks to the Garibaldi in Sicily element to simplify that part of the chain but this is really to help an AI Italy along.

The scripts in the other thread elaborate a bit around this but wanted to keep the official changes as close to the original as possible. The main change to the official version is that has the potential for a civil war between the Two Sicilies and S-P - this was quite plausible as a lot of the Neopolitan army was actually quite loyal to their own state - but it can only really end one way as S-P is far more powerful.

States that cease to exist still hang around in the diplo engine, you'll even see them submitting orders etc in the turn resolution or generating CBs. Don't think this matters and it maybe one of those things that will be resolved in the next formal patch (the intent is to bring some of the diplomatic code improvements from WoN across to PoN)

edit: you can speed up the unification chain by using S-P to attack the Papal States, you'll get the later events in any case but it will give you Rome in about 1861 rather than later in that decade. You still won't be Italy (formally) for a while.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:17 pm

Prussia wrote:1- I attempted to roll back to the turn prior to this but I only had settings at 3 saves, so I am unable to check on status of Two Sicilies armed forces prior to event. Because it looks like I didn't get all the purty new forces that I see in Loki's AAR.

1a- Is changing sysBackupNum = 3 to 12 in System.Opt the correct place to change the number of saved turns?

2- Is the annexation event random in terms of the troops that you will receive?

3- The number of ships awarded states 36 elements in 33 ships, but I only count 35 ships- what am I not understanding properly or misreading?

4- It states 124 companies- is this a reference to troop pools?

5- Regarding the dual Garibaldi's Corps- is this just a representation of him commanding two units?

6- Should I have received all the Two Sicily's armed forces? Unfortunately I can't roll back to see what was there initially. If so, is there a script to award me the units? Or will they show up in the future? They can't just vaporize into thin air?

7- 33 regions awarded- what? How? Where? Even if I count Mascate, Dubai, Dodocanese, the 3 Swiss provinces and other places I come nowhere close to having 33 regions- is this just a scripting/display error?

8- Regarding monies awarded/received- the Private Capital appears correct but I did receive a 1000 plus State funds as well.

9- Are Loki's scripts at http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?33505-Rethinkng-Piombieres&p=300276&viewfull=1#post300276 beneficial or useful to implement? Are they even germaine to the above issue?

10- I know there was a combat unit from the Two Sicilies on the map with a leader- where did that leader go? Or is it again a case of being random? Not like I have an over-abundance of Leaders!

11- Is there a script to resurrect a Leader in the event that something mis-fired script wise?

Any thought, impressions or guidance regarding Italian Unification for those more experienced than I (Oh Hail Loki et al) would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Jean-Claude

as a follow up and more detail

1a - not sure - my solution was every now and then to pull out a sequence of saves and store them away from the game files - this was incredibly useful if things went really wrong (I had a real problem in the late 1870s that Pocus sorted for me)

2 - no its coded - see the Italian Unification Event folder

3 - not sure - but if I recall there are some fixed ships that are part of the transfer - I think I wrote a script to disband these but my memory may be playing up

4- yes, they all go into your reserve manpower pools

5 - G appears in a few ways. You get a single army (the 1000) land in Sicily, most of this then moves to Calabria but leaves a bit behind. The Calabrian army then gets extra units. At the end win or lose all this lot should be disbanded. He then returns RomaOMorte with another rebel army to try and take Rome (again this will disband). Finally he pops up later with yet another new army that is added to the S-P normal units

6 - No they get disbanded. This is realistic. It wasn't a well trained army (unlike Parma), and it had little or no loyalty to the new state. As an aside more Italian soldiers were killed in repressing the peasant revolt that broke out in 1862 in the south than died in the battles of the Risorgimento. So the loyalty problem that is scripted in is deliberate

7 - not sure (sorry), it may refer to buildings/structures?

8 - yes you'll have inherited the state treasuries of the states you have absorbed, and any other goodies they may have stockpiled

9 - as above, the key change (ie sort out the basic events) is in the beta, the additional civil war we left out (easy to add if you want, its a bit of fun chrome if it fires)

10 - should have been deleted along with all the units with the SIC faction tag

11 - you can script in units/leaders. Have a look in the Italian Unification event texts and you'll see examples so you can amend those if you wish.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Prussia
Lieutenant

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:30 pm

Thank you Loki: you have clarified so many of the subtle nuances of a very complex situation.

Regarding:

-1 I am now up to 8 save game folders, so editing Sysbacknum does work so far; I have read somewhere that this is adjustable to 24 turns;

- 5 You have done a remarkable job on reflecting a very convoluted history of appearances of Garibaldi, and the bizarre twisted events of that era- about the only thing not included was an offer for Gari to command a unit in the Armies of the North of the USA;

- 6 This now makes sense given the nature of their training or lack thereof;

- Parliament of Italy event This did fire correctly and I did receive Parma and Tuscany and their on map units.

Thanks again for you assistance.

Kind regards,

Jean-Claude

Return to “Pride of Nations”