Chicken Spadge
Private

Forming Protectorates

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:45 am

Playing as Belgium as my first game to keep things as simple as possible, I've now brought the Colonial Penetration of some provinces in the general Congo area up to 35 percent. Noticing that I was unable to increase this further, I found a thread on this forum in which it was stated that at this point you have to wait until the decision to form a protectorate becomes available.

It is now mid-1852. Is there any typical period that you have to wait before the decision becomes available? and is there any way to speed this up?

Meanwhile, is there anything that the player should do while waiting for the decision in order to prepare for the next stage?

sirhiggins
Sergeant

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:53 am

If i'm right, you have to wait until full of the colonial decisions/cards will available, i think 1870-80 maybe?

Chicken Spadge
Private

Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:56 pm

1870-80!

Isn't there anything that I can do until then?

What about explorers? Can I send some out to open up the interior?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:27 am

without the full range of cards you'll find your effective colonial penetration is stuck at around 35%. But yes you can carry on discovering new areas and build missions/trade posts etc to put down a marker for later.

As Belgium, you will get the Congo by script, so you might want to focus on the surrounding regions for now
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Chicken Spadge
Private

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:47 pm

(Edited to include screenshot).

I've moved a team of explorers into one of the coastal provinces with 35-percent colonial penetration and tried to conduct an exploration mission in adjacent areas, but this appears to have failed four times now. The first three times a pith helmet appeared in an adjacent area, but was gone in the next turn without any explanation. Only on the fourth try did I a get a message stating that the mission had failed.

Is it just a case of keep trying? or is there something I can do that will increase the chance of success? I've only got the explorers in the province concerned. I tried to put some troops there as well, but I was unable to.

uglyr
Private

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:05 pm

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like it is important where explorer located. There are situations that in one province it's always fail, but if moved to neighbour province it's always not fail. Ano so if you can explore 3 provinces in fact you'll be able to explore 1, and others only after you explore that one and move explorers there.

James D Burns

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:24 am

Keep trying till the card sticks. It's a percentage chance it succeeds and I think difficult terrain like jungle has the lowest chance for the card to succeed, so it may take 10+ tries, it's all up to the die roll gods. Remember though, the unit must remain adjacent after the card sticks or the helmet will go away and you'll need to place it again. I think it takes 6-8 turns or so for the card to finish the exploration once its placed, though terrain may make it take longer or shorter, not 100% sure.

You can also place more than one attempt per unit at the same time, I generally play as many attempts as I have cards to place if enough regions light up. Exploration cards even have a tiny chance to find new resources. So if you're going to be stuck in one region for a while placing cards to try and explore you might as well also place cards on the local explored areas as well if you have enough extra cards to place.

Jim

czert2
Brigadier General

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:10 pm

jup, using explorers to explore as many regions as posible is allways good strategy ( even if it will be another nation protectorare in future) , that way you know regions wchich you want to conquer and occupy in future wars ��. and playing as many cards on regions which increase yours cp over time ( mission, trader .. etc.) is usefull as it will alow you to shorten time in which protectorate will become colony, once these decisions will be avaivable, compared to only max 35 cp from cards.
for exploring of regions - yes there is chance for succes - basic is 66% if im not mistaken. i modded my file for 75% chance ��.

uglyr
Private

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:20 pm

Does anyone know who is decided for colonial highest status with equal CP? I'm playing RUS and in areas where I and GB have 35 CP it is said that GB influence this region so I can't make protectorate. The same thing with France. It's even worse: when I had 35 CP and GB 34 CP on Kabul it was considered as influnced by Russia so I played Protectorate card. Then GB got 35 CP and my protectorate card dismissed. I thought about prestige but I'm on second place and France only 4th but with same number France "win". Is it hardcoded or can be influenced somehow without war? I don't want to declare war to Afganistan.

James D Burns

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Just a guess, but it's possible the last power to play a card is placed in the highest position. Try playing a bribe card or something and try and time it so it fires the turn just before the protectorate finishes. Then again loyalty and/or highest prestige value makes more sense to me, though I can't remember ever not being able to place a protectorate card before if I had met all the requirements. It might be possible a hidden native unit is present in the region. Get some troops into the capital region with cavalry elements and see if some hostile natives aren't hidden there.

Jim

uglyr
Private

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Nope, I tried to play several times after that with no change. My loyalty is higher than GB.

Durk

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:40 am

Hmm, wonder if colonial status is as tough?

Return to “Pride of Nations”