vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

The Mother of all Doomstacks

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:29 am

I declared war on Prussia in 1870, as France. I moved a full army stack into the Saarland. The Prussians railed in a number of troops, and a very large battle was fought, with my other armies marching to the sound of the guns. The Prussians had a slight numerical superiority but no commanders, and France prevailed.

The next turn, the city surrendered, but the Prussians got it back the very same turn. They moved in a huge doomstack, with a combat power of over 28,000, and my army, with a combat power of about 4000, fell back without fighting.

I guess the fix to doomstacks has a bug or two.

I should mention that their was a twenty percent penalty on the doomstack, yet it still had that enormous numerical rating. There were so many units that the screen was not big enough to show them all in the tooltip.

Has anyone ever seen a doomstack that big, or bigger?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:03 am

I think I saw one around 30,000 during my equivalent of WW1 when the Germans were pushing back the French, as Emelio says, it seemed to break up as it perceived multiple threats. It also seems that Prussia is particularly likely to form one - I guess as it has the capacity, run by the AI, to build a lot of new units.

My view is they form as the AI adds most new builds in its capital, and I guess there is a routine to then collect those together.

For Russia, this is actually near fatal to the AI. It will create a huge army in St Petersburg, which it can't rail anywhere (not enough capacity), so Russia losses wars on the borders where it has very little deployed despite having a massive army. Even if the war is with Germany-Austria it takes a long time to march from St Petersburg to where the action is.

In a future game, I think what I'd do is to open up the AI side a few turns before a war and then write some scripts to redeploy such a huge blob into a range of plausible locations, that might both help prevent doomstacks and oddly make the AI more dangerous as it can rail its reserves around.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Thank you Emelio, and thank you Loki, for your comments, which I found both helpful and interesting.

I had hoped the new beta patch would do away with the doomstacks, but it did not.

The doomstack moved into Alsace, defeated five of my fully stacked and commanded armies, in maybe the biggest battle i ever saw in PON. The problem was that the doomstack arrived at once, while only two of my armies were in Alsace, and the other three moved to the sound of the guns from Lorraine, piecemeal.
There were a number of rounds where over 760,000 Prussians were fighting about 360,000 Frenchmen. At the end of the battle, only one of my armies had been heavily hit, losing all four corps, because McMahon would not retreat. The others retreated and survived. But one full army remained in Alsace. I moved it into the fortress, which I had upgraded and expanded as much as possible.

My Plan was to move my other armies into Saarland and Pfalz to cut off the doomstacks supply, but it split into three parts. A stakc of 14, 000 besieged Strasbourg, a stack of about 11,000 protected Pfalz, and a stack of about 3,000 moved to defend saarland. Other stacks of about that size protected the Rheinland. I was worried that the doomstacks in Alsace and Pfalz would march to the sound of the guns, but they did not, maybe because they were not even close to being fully commanded.

Strasbourg held out for six turns, with the doomstack making no progress in the siege, probably because they were short of siege artillery, and I had placed some sappers in the fortress for defensive purposes. I finally took Saarland, which gave me a positive warscore of 23, with some colonial conquests, but there was no way I was going to drive the other doomstack out of Pfalz and cut the besiegers supply line. And Strasbourg was starting to run out of supply, so I proposed peace in return for Prussia paying a small amount of reparations. Prussia accepted., but the doomstack problem remains.

jscott991
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:39 pm

That's extremely disappointing.

I thought that was kind of the point of these 1.04 patches was to get rid of those.

HerrDan

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Hah! You're talking about doomstacks because you probably haven't read my AAR yet, in my war with Russia (as Germany ofc), they build up huge doomstacks everywhere! You need to trust the MTSG in order to defeat them, try to surround them and cut them from their supply lines, MTSG can help you defeat these doomstacks, but you need some luck and good commanders.
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

jscott991
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:34 am

What is MTSG?

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:35 am

jscott991 wrote:What is MTSG?

March to the sound of the guns. It covers the situation where units adjacent to the area of the battle will march to join it, if all goes well. Good leaders really help.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:37 am

HerrDan wrote:Hah! You're talking about doomstacks because you probably haven't read my AAR yet, in my war with Russia (as Germany ofc), they build up huge doomstacks everywhere! You need to trust the MTSG in order to defeat them, try to surround them and cut them from their supply lines, MTSG can help you defeat these doomstacks, but you need some luck and good commanders.

Nice to see you back, HerrDan. What part of your AAR has your war with Russia? I would really like to read it!

HerrDan

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:48 am

vaalen wrote:Nice to see you back, HerrDan. What part of your AAR has your war with Russia? I would really like to read it!

Thank you very much for your warm reception Vaalen. The war with Russia starts on page 8 of my AAR and it was probably the most entertaining part of my campaign in PON. I hope you'll enjoy.

Cheers.
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Ny pleasure, HerrDan. I truly enjoyed reading about that war, and I will try your solutions to the doomstacks. Thank you for sharing this.

Return to “Pride of Nations”