cwegsche
Lieutenant

Selling goods on colonial markets

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:00 am

I have a question regarding selling goods on the colonial market:

If you open the F4 screen, you can see (as a colonial power) that certain amounts of goods are sold on the colonial market. Now what qualifies a population of a colonial region to buy from your stock of goods? I observed in my games that it's not declaring a protectorate or declaring a colony, as this changed nothing in the demands. But sometimes the numbers the colonial market demands on the F4 screen jump up a bit ... but what really qualifies this? The amount of colonial penetration or military control of a region? If yes, waht amount of colonial penetration?

Thanks
Chris

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:51 am

the main aspect is who is in the province. In other words peasants have quite low demands.

Its not easy to use the F6 screen to find your colonial provinces but if you do you can check the population spread and type. I'm pretty sure there is then a deflating factor applied to colonial population to reduce their demand level, so you need a lot more people to generate a given level (& you will often only have the type of population with low demand).

The key, I think is ownership of the province via MC - its the same as you pick up the population demand for any province once you occupy it during a war. So a province is deemed to be colonial (via the game engine), you happen to have Military Control, you are responsible for meeting the population demand but its shown as colonial not domestic.

You'll see the wider effect of this if you start to win a big war. You end up with all your factories and farms open in an attempt to match demand from all those provinces you now occupy.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:26 am

Hi loki!

Thanks for your quick answer! So the colonial penetration means nothing regarding the demands of goods? Sounds strange but it would match with my observations as nothing changed with declaring protectorate or colony.
Unfortunately I'm not able to use the F6 screen now as I updated to the last pon.exe which compromises the tabs in the screen.
Okay so everything you need is MC, and peasants needing less than for example aristocrats or workers.

Nice to know (or guess to be more specific) :-)

Thx loki!!

Kensai

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Colonists don't buy as much as the (non-) national regional regions. Population and its class play a major roll. Aristocrats and other high-class persons will demand a lot more luxurious goods than peasants.

It is possible to turn a colony to non-national region but this will take a lot of time and lots of investments in colonial decisions. I actually feel that this should not happen, unless for very specific cases, but this is how the engine works in PON with the latest patches.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Return to “Pride of Nations”