MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Preventing the Franco-Prussian War and End Game Date

Tue May 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Just a couple more questions from a newbie...

Is it possible, if you're playing France, to forestall, or completely prevent, the Franco-Prussian War events around 1869-70 from happening by taking over/occupying key regions which would prevent the unification of the North German Confederation?

Secondly, can this game continue to be played past 1920, either by just continuing past the official "game over" date, or by modification of the scripts? If it must be scripted to continue, in which file is this script found?

Thanks again! I love the activity and participation of you all as forum members, by the way!

MarshalJean

HerrDan

Tue May 27, 2014 5:19 pm

MarshalJean wrote:Just a couple more questions from a newbie...

Is it possible, if you're playing France, to forestall, or completely prevent, the Franco-Prussian War events around 1869-70 from happening by taking over/occupying key regions which would prevent the unification of the North German Confederation?

Secondly, can this game continue to be played past 1920, either by just continuing past the official "game over" date, or by modification of the scripts? If it must be scripted to continue, in which file is this script found?

Thanks again! I love the activity and participation of you all as forum members, by the way!

MarshalJean

Indeed and unfortunately, if you're playing France you can rest assured that there won't be any german unification/and/or italian one and therefore you don't need to fear the Franco-Prussian war, unless you want it to happen. It's a pity that in the 1850 scenario you don't see the AI unifying Germany or Italy by themselves, indeed that's one of the reasons I prefer the 1880 scenario over the 1850 one. If one wants to see a world more similar to our one, like I do, it's much better as most of the "complicated processes" of unification have already happened and the nations are on their way to the arms and colonial race.

Regarding the "playing beyond 1920" question, I don't know if it's possible, I hope someone else could answer you about that.

Cheers.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 27, 2014 5:25 pm

In most games, the AI can't manage its unifications (I've done a small modification that will sort out Italy in the 'help to improve' directory). So I'd suspect you won't face a united Germany, from observation, the chain seems to break apart quite early (around Schleswig-Holstein, though not sure about it).

However, I think that some of the events as part of the 1869-70 crises will fire anyway, its just that Prussia, as Prussia, won't look for war. So you will get the hit on your NM unless you go to war etc (I'm going on keeping an eye on France in my Italy game, the NM drop occurred as did the glorious Commune, but there was no Franco-Prussian War).

As to the end date. Afraid not, think that is placed in the .exe. You get the final screen, can have a look around the map but not give any more orders.

Laying aside that the game is already long, it makes some sense to have a cut off about then. Warfare is about to change a lot (tanks in PoN are hard hitting infantry which is fine, aircraft are fun but not critical), and you could argue that Communism and Fascism are about to change both inter-state actions and intra-state dynamics (ie you'd need a much more political approach to population loyalty etc).
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Tue May 27, 2014 5:54 pm

Good to know, on both counts. Thanks, gents.

It looks like the events surrounding German unification and increasing poor relations between Prussia and France regarding Alsace-Lorraine could use some serious event-modding help.

And loki, I completely agree with you on the continuance of the game past 1920, especially regarding the political changes. One might argue that, on technological grounds, the techs in the game could carry you to 1930-ish, but not much further until German panzers, dive bombers, and even air superiority aircraft by all the Majors, are outclassing any other technology represented in the game. But the political changes, especially in the Weimar Republic and Soviet Union, are too formative to play the 1920s historically, and just aren't possible in PoN (unless some brilliant modders want to take a stab at it!) (hint...hint...)

Thanks again!

MJ

HerrDan

Tue May 27, 2014 6:16 pm

MarshalJean wrote:Good to know, on both counts. Thanks, gents.

It looks like the events surrounding German unification and increasing poor relations between Prussia and France regarding Alsace-Lorraine could use some serious event-modding help.

And loki, I completely agree with you on the continuance of the game past 1920, especially regarding the political changes. One might argue that, on technological grounds, the techs in the game could carry you to 1930-ish, but not much further until German panzers, dive bombers, and even air superiority aircraft by all the Majors, are outclassing any other technology represented in the game. But the political changes, especially in the Weimar Republic and Soviet Union, are too formative to play the 1920s historically, and just aren't possible in PoN (unless some brilliant modders want to take a stab at it!) (hint...hint...)

Thanks again!

MJ

Regarding the events surrounding German and italian unification, there are a good deal of ideas/events in the "Help improve PON" subforum, if you want anything in particular and you can't find there, you can just ask here in the forum and we'll try to provide you with exactly what you want (or at least something close to that).

Return to “Pride of Nations”